The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Found my unicorn while visiting my son in Nashville this weekend. Proud to add this horse to the stable. Suhr Classic S Antique Ian Thornley "roughneck" signature.
(Glare on the bottom makes the burnt finish look like it was dropped. Just the angle with the lighting)
View attachment 433071
Congrats! I have a Suhr Standard that’s probably my favorite guitar up there with my McCarty 594. To me PRS is like a Gibson+ without the 70 year old design flaws. I think of Suhrs the same way compared to fender. And just think, you can have that the rest of your life and never worry about having to do a fret job on it. Is that a 9-12” fret radius?

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
16" standard roll radius with 22 SS Jumbo frets. The neck is ridiculous. V-Shape .875-.970. Feels FAT, however feels thin up top and down low. Never felt a neck quite like this. Apparently this signature model is the only Suhr with this neck. Partly why they have now designed 3 Suhr guitars after it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Polyphia isn't for everyone, but I love that they are more than just Tim Henson's band. Was interested to hear the new track featuring Steve Vai, and for me, it delivers.
I think this new album is going to be huge for them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Polyphia isn't for everyone, but I love that they are more than just Tim Henson's band. Was interested to hear the new track featuring Steve Vai, and for me, it delivers.

Even if you aren’t a fan, you have to appreciate the abilities and hustle.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I appreciate that Polyhphia for doing something different and making smart music. I'd welcome more young bands taking creative risks like this. It won't win them mainstream cash, but could possibly influence more musicians to branch out and move the needle.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I think they have a better chance at some mainstream success than about anyone else in a metal/prog/tech genre. Easy to follow chord progressions, catchy melody and beat.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So my kid has picked up the guitar and has been playing for like 2 month straight every day. Some days for hours. Of course rock smith but I think he digs it and sticks with it. /hope and prayers

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Bodhy

Mr. Poopybutthole

I'll listen just because I think Djent is an amazingly cool new genre that takes music in an a new direction only afforded by the technological age. And Steve Vai was such a huge influence on my own guitar playing, it's got to be a winning combo.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Little jam I recorded the other day.... Old guitar riff, but the guitar and harmonica solos are totally improvised. Harmonica solo probably drags a bit but I'm still getting the hang of the instrument.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think they have a better chance at some mainstream success than about anyone else in a metal/prog/tech genre. Easy to follow chord progressions, catchy melody and beat.

They'll never be mainstream. You will never hear a Polyphia tune on a rock radio station. They might make it big enough to play some pretty large venues, but it'll very much be an underground grassroots type of following.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So my kid has picked up the guitar and has been playing for like 2 month straight every day. Some days for hours. Of course rock smith but I think he digs it and sticks with it. /hope and prayers
Good for him, it's a wonderful, life long hobby that still surprises me regularly (learning new things, mastering a song, etc). Hope my kids get into it as well, though I'm afraid they'll do the opposite of what dear old dad enjoys and shun music entirely. How old is the kid? I look forward to him learning Dave Matthews and using 3 songs to get girls in college (wasneverme).

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
They'll never be mainstream. You will never hear a Polyphia tune on a rock radio station. They might make it big enough to play some pretty large venues, but it'll very much be an underground grassroots type of following.
For sure not on the radio, more in the vein of Gojira maybe.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Good for him, it's a wonderful, life long hobby that still surprises me regularly (learning new things, mastering a song, etc). Hope my kids get into it as well, though I'm afraid they'll do the opposite of what dear old dad enjoys and shun music entirely. How old is the kid? I look forward to him learning Dave Matthews and using 3 songs to get girls in college (wasneverme).
Hes 18... But yeah hes been playing non stop every day. He picked up the Chinese fendeer and the chibson I bought a few years ago. He also took the bass too. He just said today he just hit 100 hours on rocksmith. All this came from a dumb discussion on discord and his buddies claiming guitar hero is harder than rocksmith (loooll) So he went downstairs, brought up the Gibson and started playing rocksmith that night. He just cranks the difficulty to 100% and plays.

Supposedly there is some discord channel out there for rocksmith that people actually make tabs for rocksmith and there is like 1000s of songs out there you can just download and play through he game. People do requests there too, lol. Its crazy how big that community is.

The shit he plays is nuts, like all the old school shit I dig like tool, CoC, Nirvana, Down, Black Sabbath... I guess his old man rubbed off on him. Now hes saying he wants an acoustic and a 7-8 string so he can play his favorite shit which is deftones.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Hes 18... But yeah hes been playing non stop every day. He picked up the Chinese fendeer and the chibson I bought a few years ago. He also took the bass too. He just said today he just hit 100 hours on rocksmith. All this came from a dumb discussion on discord and his buddies claiming guitar hero is harder than rocksmith (loooll) So he went downstairs, brought up the Gibson and started playing rocksmith that night. He just cranks the difficulty to 100% and plays.

Supposedly there is some discord channel out there for rocksmith that people actually make tabs for rocksmith and there is like 1000s of songs out there you can just download and play through he game. People do requests there too, lol. Its crazy how big that community is.

The shit he plays is nuts, like all the old school shit I dig like tool, CoC, Nirvana, Down, Black Sabbath... I guess his old man rubbed off on him. Now hes saying he wants an acoustic and a 7-8 string so he can play his favorite shit which is deftones.
Can hit customforge if he wants to download a bunch of user created tracks.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Idk, I have a buddy who is mostly into rap who was all excited to show Polyphia to me one day. They've got a weird sort of broad appeal, that yeah starts grassroots but I think it could grow.

Not that I even enjoy them lol. They sound like the background music to corporate videos from the early 2000s. The sort of music with each bar a different variation on the theme, so that each product they're showcasing in the video can have its own little section.

• 1GreNeg

Bodhy

Mr. Poopybutthole
Idk, I have a buddy who is mostly into rap who was all excited to show Polyphia to me one day. They've got a weird sort of broad appeal, that yeah starts grassroots but I think it could grow.

Not that I even enjoy them lol. They sound like the background music to corporate videos from the early 2000s. The sort of music with each bar a different variation on the theme, so that each product they're showcasing in the video can have its own little section.
Have you tried heavier, more complex, more technical Djent? Like Tesseract, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, Sithu, Widek etc?

I'm an avid connoisseur of difficult and abstract music-- I've got a jazz fusion/classical background--so it's almost like something is a turn off for me if it's mainstream or approaching mainstream. And I love extremely heavy metal and the combination of incredible musicianship, so I've a natural affinity for Djent.

There's also the Australian artist Plini you could check out, he's less metal and more in the jazz fusion/prog rock direction, but no less complex or lacking in musical chops. Plus, their drummer I personally knew and played with in high school. They might be touring US now.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Have you tried heavier, more complex, more technical Djent? Like Tesseract, Periphery, Animals as Leaders, Sithu, Widek etc?

I'm an avid connoisseur of difficult and abstract music-- I've got a jazz fusion/classical background--so it's almost like something is a turn off for me if it's mainstream or approaching mainstream. And I love extremely heavy metal and the combination of incredible musicianship, so I've a natural affinity for Djent.

There's also the Australian artist Plini you could check out, he's less metal and more in the jazz fusion/prog rock direction, but no less complex or lacking in musical chops. Plus, their drummer I personally knew and played with in high school. They might be touring US now.
Yup. I love technical music of all sorts myself. Djent just isn't my thing.

Not that I'm averse to the sound, I just prefer it sliiightly slower and more brooding

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

The results of the study “indicated that time spent playing chords predicted desire for casual sex with women, whereas perceptions of playing speed positively predicted intrasexual competitiveness," in plain terms, a wish to impress other men.

I bet there's a similar spectrum that goes from legato to staccato.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yup. I love technical music of all sorts myself. Djent just isn't my thing.

Not that I'm averse to the sound, I just prefer it sliiightly slower and more brooding
Yeah IMO there needs to be some kind of melody behind all that technical shit. IMO music without a melody or some sort of soul behind it is not really music, at least to me.