Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Old Guard (2020)

Tagline: Forever is harder than it looks

Genre: Action, Fantasy

Director: Gina Prince-Bythewood

Cast: Charlize Theron, KiKi Layne, Matthias Schoenaerts, Marwan Kenzari, Luca Marinelli, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Harry Melling, Van Veronica Ngo, Natacha Karam, Anamaria Marinca, Joey Ansah, Adam Collins, Russell Balogh, Obie Matthew, Mette Towley, Micheal Ward, Shala Nyx, Majid Essaidi, Andrei Zayats, Olivia Ross, Peter Basham, Nadia Niazi, Mehdi Lamrini, Aanya Hirdaramani, Jordan Holland, Orlando Seale, Simon Chandler, Jane Fowler, Yassine Zeroual, Adam Basil, Peter Brooke, Jill Buchanan, Adam Collins, Jill De Quincey, Talal El Moustaghfir, Tuncay Gunes, Steve Healey, Rich Lawton, Jorge Leon Martinez, Martyn Mayger, Chereena Miller, Seema Morar, Oliver Simms, Jimmy Star, Alfredo Tavares, Rutvig Vaid

Release: 2020-07-10

Runtime: 124

Plot: Led by a warrior named Andy, a covert group of tight-knit mercenaries with a mysterious inability to die have fought to protect the mortal world for centuries. But when the team is recruited to take on an emergency mission and their extraordinary abilities are suddenly exposed, it's up to Andy and Nile, the newest soldier to join their ranks, to help the group eliminate the threat of those who seek to replicate and monetize their power by any means necessary.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
New on Netflix. Not great; not terrible. Had some writing/continuity issues and some SJW stuff. Action was OK. Inferior to that Netflix Chris Hemsworth action movie in most every way except for Charlize who still looks hot and can act.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
I thought this was better than Extraction. Extraction had better action scenes but there really was no story at all, this one has worse action scenes (quick cut shit to hide actors who move slow) but a pretty interesting world building and story. It drags a little in the middle but otherwise I felt myself engaged the whole time. The bad guy is pretty lame but the movie smartly focuses mostly on just the group of 4+1.

Definitely worth a watch for anyone who is a fan of Highlander or Underworld, had similar vibe to those movies.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I thought this was alright. I wish we got more of what is going on with these people, but it's apparent they are shooting for a trilogy or something.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i was interested in seeing this, just because there's nothing else going on... but then i saw charlize was in it and... well i just have no attention span for her anymore. it was the same thing with tom cruise when he went publicly insane, but that man has worked HARD to win me back over the years. charlize still acts like we owe her something.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Charlize Theron and a womxn cast of "badasses"? I rather stab myself in the dick.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 6 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The biggest thing that bugged me was:

Ok, so your "immortal", but you know that one day it just may end. So why the fuck are you not wearing fucking bulletproof vests? I mean wouldn't you still take the precautions? Also the fact that you are all afraid of being captured and you know you are vulnerable after being taken out.

• 2Like

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>

Ok, so your "immortal", but you know that one day it just may end. So why the fuck are you not wearing fucking bulletproof vests? I mean wouldn't you still take the precautions? Also the fact that you are all afraid of being captured and you know you are vulnerable after being taken out.

Same, also:

You want answers about your long life, I get that, but the only way to do it is to set up your whole "family"? You couldnt have just gone to the bio company yourself?

• 2Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I liked it. The coda at the end was predictable but still nice. It's a cool spin on the Highlander schtick and who doesn't like some good old fashioned immortals slaying a metric fuckton of badguys.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
re: body armor
i saw it as they view immortality as a curse, like vampires. the guy who betrayed them WANTS to die and assume the others feel the same, that living is a nightmare they want to escape. Pretty common theme in vampire movies. So while they may not shoot themselves over and over to get the death counter to 9999, dying while in a "good cause" seems like maybe something they have internalized as God's only way of releasing them from a living hell? To escape this prison you must rack up good deeds kinda thing.

You do have to sorta hand wave away why they didn't meticulously plan out escape strats, C4 bomb vests so if anyone captures them etc they can suicide out and regrow, etc but also I'd say while they feared being captured in the "dark ages" due to accusations of witchcraft, probably in modern times they weren't really thinking too hard about being captured for scientific experimentation. That was sort of a neat little spin on the genre, I wish they had done the bad guy a bit better though.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
re: body armor
i saw it as they view immortality as a curse, like vampires. the guy who betrayed them WANTS to die and assume the others feel the same, that living is a nightmare they want to escape. Pretty common theme in vampire movies. So while they may not shoot themselves over and over to get the death counter to 9999, dying while in a "good cause" seems like maybe something they have internalized as God's only way of releasing them from a living hell? To escape this prison you must rack up good deeds kinda thing.

You do have to sorta hand wave away why they didn't meticulously plan out escape strats, C4 bomb vests so if anyone captures them etc they can suicide out and regrow, etc but also I'd say while they feared being captured in the "dark ages" due to accusations of witchcraft, probably in modern times they weren't really thinking too hard about being captured for scientific experimentation. That was sort of a neat little spin on the genre, I wish they had done the bad guy a bit better though.
I would agree with you if they weren't all kinda freaking out whenever someone got wasted. Especially the 2 gay lovers. Like every time one of them got hit the other was there waiting for him to get back.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Beginning and ending are really solid. There is so much potential for continuation here, they barely scratched the surface of the mythology. Nice job not shooting their wad entirely with this one.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Having Dudley Dursley as the irredeemable Martin Shkreli character was a nice touch as his face is instantly punchable.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

Also not dying does not mean its not hurting. I get they are kinda numb to it all but seriously a bit of precautions and you are still juggernauts but even more so. Also in the other way why not always have on bomb vests go ahead fuckers try and capture me and I jihad your entire kill team and then get up and walk away.

• 2Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only thing I do not like about movies like this are the rules, if not explained out.

In Highlander(As this has been compared to), an Immortal could die. Separate the head and the game was over. This movie does not go into that detail but implies that they are truly immortal. So lets go with that a moment.

If you burned them alive, as apparently was the case for the witch trials, they regrow all the tissue back. Now a person could argue that the villagers chose not to burn them all the way down to the bones but I am pretty sure they would have. So if all that remains are the bones, how do you regenerate? Do the bones crawl back together to form the body? I am pretty sure the villagers would have caught on to that and forced them to remain separated. Do each of the bones grow a new body? This premise was wonderfully joked about in Deadpool.

The movie was fine but it did a poor job of explaining how the immortals were immortal. Yes they could regenerate from death but could they regenerate from all death? I do not even want to consider how they come back from an atomic explosion. Now I am guessing that a magical force regenerates the whole, regardless of separation. If not, then the " We cannot die and my life sucks because of it" aspect of the movie was pointless. They could have died if they had wanted to.

I bring this all up because of the strapped explosives comment. If they are truly force regenerated, then becoming trapped would be the only fear they would have. It would also be very easy to do. Poison of all kinds effect them. Knock them out and bury them in a ceramic structure 500 feet below the ground and they are removed from the equation for as long as the structure survives. The woman coming back from the sea makes perfect sense if that was salt water. The casing would have deteriorated enough in that period of times for her to get out. I do have to admit that constantly drowning and then reemerging only to drown again, is quite the hell. I wonder how the brain would have tried to adapt to that situation?

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database