The Old Guard (2020)

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes they are a bit sketchy but they do talk about being burned alive at the stake so presumably they can regenerate from even pretty massive injuries. I mean in theory why do they not just booby trap the shit out of any safe house anybody tries to invade it blow up it and the surrounding block. It gets hard to entice people into attacking targets who are willing to basically blow up everything in the vicinity and then just waltz away.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
The movie was fine but it did a poor job of explaining how the immortals were immortal.

I felt that it was really only explained by them not actually knowing why or how. Hence why one of the MC greatest lost was that black guy who we don't even know anything about but suddenly not being immortal. Minus the whole promise thing, which seems like a not very fleshed out plot point but only to further a sequel. Apparently its books, so no idea where it goes.. but guessing plans for it to go.

Technically it was only really one person who "wanted to die" and he was the youngest of them, from the Napoleonic era while the other two were from the crusades and the 4th not really explained. He was nicknamed "the asshole" and goes on about being 'lonely' and has the whole sap story about seeing his family grow old and seeing them with seething hate in their eyes because of his immortality on their deathbeds.. I believe he said something along the lines of at least you have each other or something to the lovers. He was also the one MC appointed for the new girl to talk to about seeing family when she was whining about loved ones.

As far as their regeneration goes, from an explosive.. the only novelty bit we have is when "the asshole" was on the recliner with a giant stomach wound and responds "the bigger the wound the longer it takes." So maybe they've experience such events? I can't remember but I think one of the gays said something about not wanting to lose them again or something, idk.

As far as bullet proof vests, weren't they wearing it when they were suited up in the initial scenes? I think by the end when the new girl was trying to put it on the mc, she was still adamant on the whole "if its my time, its my time" and I guess for the rest after they were released from capture, for cinematic sake; they just had em run through the place. /shrug.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We need to just make a pact with Hollywood to run all their scripts by us first so we can fix all this woefully obviously bad writing. I mean, if we can sit here and figure out how fucked up it is, why the fuck can't they?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Thought this was decent, especially for Netflix who makes generally only complete dog shit movies. The actress playing Nile though was horrible and it detracted from the film as a whole. She should be on daytime soaps, at best, not in movies alongside Theron. It was jarring.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, the basics like vests would make sense. It would have made sense for one or more of them to keep journals. Maybe not right after becoming immortal but eventually and essentially. It was already pretty clear that memory faded and there was real loss in that.

As an aside I think if I was immortal I would just get really good at setting traps. Why go through the pain if you can just set them up to die instead.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, the basics like vests would make sense. It would have made sense for one or more of them to keep journals. Maybe not right after becoming immortal but eventually and essentially. It was already pretty clear that memory faded and there was real loss in that.

As an aside I think if I was immortal I would just get really good at setting traps. Why go through the pain if you can just set them up to die instead.
If I were immortal I would be Jeff Bezos rich and have an entire merc army of ex-special forces at my beck and call.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

thought it was funny, in trying to stop the witch trials, they pretty much proved magic was real and probably caused more to be burned

Siliconemelons

Highlander did a dude that was drowned and kept "waking up" to walk/swim some, then die again over and over for years until he made it back to shore - and yeah he was a bit batty from the multiple deaths by drowning per day

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Highlander did a dude that was drowned and kept "waking up" to walk/swim some, then die again over and over for years until he made it back to shore - and yeah he was a bit batty from the multiple deaths by drowning per day

Which movie was that in?

Destiny did this with lore for the drifter I believe. Crashed his ship in a empty desert. Wandered looking for help. Died of starvation. Ghost resurrected him and he crawled a few few and died of starvation again. Rinse repeat for days/weeks/months until he found help

Siliconemelons

Which movie was that in?

Destiny did this with lore for the drifter I believe. Crashed his ship in a empty desert. Wandered looking for help. Died of starvation. Ghost resurrected him and he crawled a few few and died of starvation again. Rinse repeat for days/weeks/months until he found help

It was in the series not one of the movies

Siliconemelons

Holy shit how did I never know there was a Highlander tv show .

No, but really... it's awesome, watch it...all..

Also watch the anime it's the best "movie" outside the original

giphy.gif

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I watched this last night, I was entertained. I have some issues here and there but overall thought it was pretty good. I would watch a sequel if they make one, which they set up.

Kiki

Log Wizard
My problem is that they are going to fight 30 dudes and she's like: I'll just take a glock and put it in a roni. They do that in way too many movies. Cops have an AR and a shotty in their trunk, I'm a main character better take a pistol.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Then they strayed away from the movie. I missed that episode. In the Highlander movie, an immortal could not drown.

Ramirez rocks Conner Macleod off a row boat in the middle of the lake as he screams that he cannot swim. The scene does not show him drown.

1595081870013.png

1595081898910.png

To be fair though, the series did show Immortals effected by gas. So gas effects them but water or lack of air does not. I guess it could have also been for show when they "Collapsed" but it has been way to long since I watched the show.

• 1Like