The Old Guard (2020)

Caliane

this wasnt great. I dont recommend, or think its worth watching. just bland, and dumb.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Highlander TV series was awesome overall. but it did go on for a season or two too long.

Chris

Potato del Grande
A film that answers the question "What if a secret society of immortal warriors were just really boring regular people?"

OK they can speak lots of languages and fight really well, makes sense. But I would also expect some eccentric fashion choices, more focus on their role in history and a greater mission.

By the end I was shouting at my TV "WHY DIDN'T YOU START AN OCEAN MAPPING COMPANY!?"

Why the fuck was the opening scene in modern day Iraq or whatever? Show them fighting in the crusades or something, then get to your protagonist girl ASAP.

The bad guy was a bit cartoonish and boring too.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
A film that answers the question "What if a secret society of immortal warriors were just really boring regular people?"

OK they can speak lots of languages and fight really well, makes sense. But I would also expect some eccentric fashion choices, more focus on their role in history and a greater mission.

By the end I was shouting at my TV "WHY DIDN'T YOU START AN OCEAN MAPPING COMPANY!?"

Why the fuck was the opening scene in modern day Iraq or whatever? Show them fighting in the crusades or something, then get to your protagonist girl ASAP.

The bad guy was a bit cartoonish and boring too.

It looks like their greater mission was to help out. They were specifically only doing missions where they thought they were helping. They had become depressed and cynical about it because they felt like none of what they did mattered. That was the whole point of the dude showing them that yes, they were doing good. It just was what they did in the now may take a couple generations to show the outcome of their labors.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Boring generic action flick with plot holes you could drive a truck through, an androgynous Charlize, and hamfisted LGBT, feminist, and SJW nonsense throughout. Not even two huge joints could make this film memorable.

• 1Edgelord

Chris

Potato del Grande
It looks like their greater mission was to help out. They were specifically only doing missions where they thought they were helping. They had become depressed and cynical about it because they felt like none of what they did mattered. That was the whole point of the dude showing them that yes, they were doing good. It just was what they did in the now may take a couple generations to show the outcome of their labors.
Yeah I got that, they were just so subtle about it that it was boring.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
This really sounds like a Netflix Movie. I remember when that meant "wait for it on Netflix", now it might as well be synonymous with "direct to video/streaming" or "made for tv".

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
This really sounds like a Netflix Movie. I remember when that meant "wait for it on Netflix", now it might as well be synonymous with "direct to video/streaming" or "made for tv".

These are pay day movies. Lower budget but probably faster filmed movies. Stuff these actors can slip in between major films. Pretty sure the only one really making stupid money off Netflix is Adam Sandler. I consider these like the 2nd tier 80's type action flicks of the present. Not great but you can still get some entertainment out of them. They are like a notch up from the Wesley Snipes/Steven Seagal direct to shit movies.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Female butch leader, black female "Neo", soy warrior, and butgrabbing male warrior duo that find reasons to make out on screen and profess their undying love for each other. Movie started with potential, as the premise is fine, then became predictable and boring. Pharma bro was also a stupid character.

Goatface

These are pay day movies. Lower budget but probably faster filmed movies.

netflicks has been throwing around lots of money lately,
list of stuff i watched and had numbers listed, a lot don't have any estimates

The Old Guard - Budget $70 million
The Irishman - Budget $175 million
6 Underground - Budget $150 million (Ryan Reynolds $27 million)
The King (2019) - Budget $23 million
Point Blank - Budget $12 million
Triple Frontier - Budget $115 million (Ben Affleck $8 million)
The Cloverfield Paradox - Budget $45 million
Bright - Budget $90–106.2 million (Will Smith $20 million and $35 million for sequel)

upcoming
Red Notice - $130 million (The Rock $20+ mil, Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot $20 million each)
The Gray Man - $200 million

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
70 million to give Charlize a butch haircut, hire some no name actors, and film some A-Team era action scenes? Wtf? There weren’t even any special effects or crazy action scenes as far as I can remember. Did I miss the scene where 200 Lambos got torched?

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i don't think netflix does "extra money" deals, you get what you paid upfront and thats it no matter how many times the movie streams etc. So it makes more sense that they pay out a bit more upfront to everyone involved since they keep all the numbers fairly secret and they keep the movie/show forever. Whereas a regular Hollywood movie will generate millions over the years for actors and producers as its shown on late night TV, HBO, etc.

Fucker

Log Wizard
70 million to give Charlize a butch haircut, hire some no name actors, and film some A-Team era action scenes? Wtf? There weren’t even any special effects or crazy action scenes as far as I can remember. Did I miss the scene where 200 Lambos got torched?

It's called Greenlight Studios for a reason. They will say no to nothing.

• 1Worf

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is a great movie, and pretty true to the comic. I recommend them both.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users