The Orville

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am in disbelief at how well this continues to deliver. God I hope this goes on a few years and doesn't get Firefly'ed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Ditto. I agree no transporter necessary. Though you just know they will need that thing If it did not vanish.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Don't forget the original Trek wanted to use the shuttles, but invented the transporter for budget reasons. Given this is on Fox, if it survives to a 2nd season, they may have to use that lol

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
is this show any good or just another macfarlane turd?

Cybsled

Ya, it is a good show. It captures the spirit of TNG, with some random humor mixed it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
is this show any good or just another macfarlane turd?

You have to factor in what shit-show TNG was season 1 and how much of the lore and story was built up over time to establish the universe that there movies, DS9 and VOY played in.

The show is good but it sort of tosses you into what could be called the federation B squad (all the ships not doing the flashy world ending stuff TNG was covering at the end) so it's a bit more light hearted and blue collar in that respect.

But it gets saved from the scrap heap it's got a lot of potential down the road, especially with STD lol.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i dont think i want more TNG. it was a good show when i was growing up, but 25 years later i'm a bit too old for on-the-nose morality tales in every single episode

if this is just a TNG clone then i'll pass

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Imo it is a bit closer to original Trek episode wise than TNG, though it has influence in the characters

Isaac=Data
Bortus=Worf
lamarr=laforge
Gordon=obrien
Mercer=Imo more of a Riker than picard
Kelly=troi
Alara= combo of original trek uhura&Tasha
Claire=crusher

Last edited:

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
You won't know if you like it or not until you watch a few episodes. It's got some old school scifi to it, but a lot of new stuff too.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I actually watched episode 1 and 2 the wrong way around and didn't realise, this works as stand alone episodes like classic trek did.

It's pretty fucking good, I am STUNNED that they did the transgender episode just right, bringing up a lot of the issues on both sides of the argument for you to think about and resolving it with the status quo allows you to make your own mind up rather than the show telling you what is right. Given that it's Seth fucking McFarlane and anti transgender is equated with being a nazi nowadays in liberal hollywood, I just can't belive they pulled it off.

Episode 4 is a perfect episode of Star Trek, I can't wait to watch episode 5. Funny that the last episode of Dr Who was a similar concept, they had forced humour and everyone died at the end so the tone was off, and it was part of the season's story arc with major characters shoehorned in who did nothing... nice that The Orville gave one idea time to breathe and only used humour when it was appropriate rather than a gag a minute.

• 2Like

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Jonathan Frakes directed ep4

I am digging this show

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'll echo my previous posts and others, this show is not only surprisingly good, it's freaking great.

Seth has made a better Trek than CBS and Paramount can apparently and I find myself looking forward to every Thursday now simply for this show.

• 2Solidarity

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Jonathan Frakes directed ep4

I am digging this show

Holy shit, no wonder it was such a great episode - I'm sure there was some more Seth influence than normal with him in the backseat thus more well delivered humor during it.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
That time travel logic at the end of the episode was really bad.

The logic at the end was certainly a paradox but with Ed getting rid of Charlize's character by basically eliminating her need to collect the ship in the first place and the portal being destroyed AFTER the fate of the ship had already been altered, it did make quite a bit of sense. Personally, I thought it was well done.

The show has yet to disappoint.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think I realized why I liked it a bit more. It reminds me of SG1 after a fashion. Like normal people that are sarcastic in spaceships exploring and fighting aliens. It's not overbearingly utopian like TNG was but at the same time that leaves it free of all the baggage from that shit where it's just normal dudes trying to do OK out in space.

Space Truckin'.

• 2Like