The Orville

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I told a friend that if you close your eyes it is hard to tell it isn't Data. I noticed that immediately because I wasn't watching the first time he came on screen, just listening.

He's my only real issue with the show. I don't mind the character but he feels like too much of a blatant ripoff. I realize the Data/C-3PO type of character is basically archetypal in sci-fi, but he still feels like a copy that they didn't do anything to differentiate. He's just the VERY stereotypical robot that doesn't "get" humans.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
He's got enough of a twist to keep him from being a copy. Isaac has an attitude.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
idk.. I feel like it's as similar as bortus is to worf. It's obviously intended to be based on that character, but with some comedic changes. Isaac is from an actual robot society, unlike data. He's also a bit of a dick, unlike data. Seems fine to me.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm not arguing that with bortus they were going for a worf like character. But he seems more like strax from Dr who

dw-strax1.gif

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Seth and white guy can't carry the show, silly tenforward meal with the crew, in the beginning was more enjoyable

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Amazing episode. And the humor were genuinely funny. The Avis jokes had me rolling.

I drove by some Avis' a few times today. I couldn't help myself from cracking up. It's going to linger with me quite a while.

• 2Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I drove by some Avis' a few times today. I couldn't help myself from cracking up. It's going to linger with me quite a while.
"I know Avis will protect his eternal soul."

"Yeah, he's got the gold membership now. He's not waiting in ANY lines."

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
The christian in me laughs when i drive by Hertz now too...

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I liked this week's episode.

I love how they are kind of goofy but there's serious shit going on in the background.

Especially how they ended up murdering hundreds of Krill and saved the kids thinking it got them points for saving them and then the chick was like "they're all going to grow up and want to kill you" at the end.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I liked this week's episode.

I love how they are kind of goofy but there's serious shit going on in the background.

Especially how they ended up murdering hundreds of Krill and saved the kids thinking it got them points for saving them and then the chick was like "they're all going to grow up and want to kill you" at the end.

The thing is, what else could they have done? What would you have done? I like that the series isn't preaching a particular choice and leaves it up to the viewer to decide.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The thing is, what else could they have done? What would you have done? I like that the series isn't preaching a particular choice and leaves it up to the viewer to decide.
Well the narrative is that by killing terrorists, more terrorists are created. What they should have done was bbq the shitty kids too.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I still can't believe that isn't Brent Spiner behind Isaac. That voice, jesus, it is almost exactly Data's. Probably what they were going for I'm sure, but man, it is creepy close.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Fingers crossed, then. Would love to see this show get a couple seasons.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity