The Outer Worlds

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Okay just the introductory questing was enough for quite a few sensible chuckles. Bethesda should be taking some serious notes!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Enjoyed the time I got to play so far. Only complaint is black bars in cutscenes at 3440x1440

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Epic game store app *usually* hogs all my bandwidth, until I want it to! Fucking thing is barely bumping 2MB/S. HURRY UP!

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Okay just the introductory questing was enough for quite a few sensible chuckles. Bethesda should be taking some serious notes!

They are meeting right now.

Hines: “Can we monetize jokes per quest? Maybe a subscription and for 9.99 a month they get all the good humor based quest lines”.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck the only thing I hate about these games is I never know what I want to play as. So many choices. Ended up going intelligence and perception. Hope it works out.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fuck the only thing I hate about these games is I never know what I want to play as. So many choices. Ended up going intelligence and perception. Hope it works out.
You're telling me! I feel like I've passed a gaming milestone because given so many choices I chose what to be rather quickly and that Never happens for me. Lol

Crone

Can I talk about weapons and shit and skills, etc, or should I just play it safe and put everything in spoilers?

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Its been so long since I made a character for a game like this (I think the last FO game I played was FO3 with DLC?) and I had (have?) no clear concept I have probably already borked my character. I thought I would go all melee but then, its in outer space, with no Jedi so, no? So now I have a strong with good dex char on the cusp of being a gimp of all trades. I just need to pick a path and stick with it but there are so many things to try; I guess you can reset skill points later, and attributes aren't that big of a deal.

Also, early on I thought the FOV on the XBox was going to make me regret my choice of platform but my eyes adjusted. Still may switch over and accelerate my new PC build just because but the camera doesn't feel stuck.on.your.face after the first hour. This game really does seem to have the magic, though.

Crone

Its been so long since I made a character for a game like this (I think the last FO game I played was FO3 with DLC?) and I had (have?) no clear concept I have probably already borked my character. I thought I would go all melee but then, its in outer space, with no Jedi so, no? So now I have a strong with good dex char on the cusp of being a gimp of all trades. I just need to pick a path and stick with it but there are so many things to try; I guess you can reset skill points later, and attributes aren't that big of a deal.

Also, early on I thought the FOV on the XBox was going to make me regret my choice of platform but my eyes adjusted. Still may switch over and accelerate my new PC build just because but the camera doesn't feel stuck.on.your.face after the first hour. This game really does seem to have the magic, though.
Melee weapons, compared to your equivalent pistol, do hella damage!! So not sure that you gimped yourself.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Melee weapons, compared to your equivalent pistol, do hella damage!! So not sure that you gimped yourself.

i'm guessing that all depends on how you built your character because, at least number wise, all the melee weapons i've found were worse than the pistol you start with. for number comparison (and understanding i'm only like an hour in), my starter pistol does 100 damage, the starter sabre does 72 (or something real close), i found a hatchet that does like 54 and a shovel that does low 60's.

Crone

i'm guessing that all depends on how you built your character because, at least number wise, all the melee weapons i've found were worse than the pistol you start with. for number comparison (and understanding i'm only like an hour in), my starter pistol does 100 damage, the starter sabre does 72 (or something real close), i found a hatchet that does like 54 and a shovel that does low 60's.
You're absolutely right. The starter pistol for me does like 11? But that was too some robots. I can already tell though, every time you level up on a perk level, you all gonna be like...

1119354.jpg

• 1Like

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is there a penalty to stealing? I haven't noticed any faction hits or anything, and funny enough I've been caught a few times and when confronted I could use Intimidate to scare the person off. So in addition to getting loot, I get XP for telling the narc to screw. Is this gonna come back to bite me in the ass?

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Finally finished DL, hacked ini to allow 3440x1440. Played an hour or 2 and now it's bedtime. Fucking adulting.

Love it so far. Went Dex & Perception

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Unfortunately ini edits can't do anything more than force the game to run ultrawide resolutions in true fullscreen. The actual ultrawide support is broken, just like most UE4 games at release (especially ones by devs making their first game with it). They are using vert- instead of hor+ and setting AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV sort of fixes it but also breaks other stuff, pre-rendered cutscenes are stretched instead of pillarboxed, and to make things even more absurd, normal dialogue screens ARE pillarboxed. It would be hard to mess up ultrawide support more thoroughly if they tried.

After dicking around with the ini files for an hour I ended up deleting all my ini edits except the ones to mitigate some of TAA's fullscreen-vaseline-effect by sharpening everything and completely disabling chromatic aberration. Sharpening is better than just turning TAA off entirely, and the in-game settings don't let you turn off CA without disabling a bunch of other stuff too, contrary to what ACG said. You can also disable the extreme DOF effect in dialogues if you want, but turning it off entirely isn't really an improvement imo.

Fortunately the game itself is pretty great so far, and in between dialogues and cutscenes I can nearly forget about the annoying technical stuff.

Edit: j00t j00t Crone Crone Go into Settings->UI and uncheck Show Base Item Stats. No idea why that's on by default, it prevents you from seeing what your skills are doing.

Edit 2: Anyone know if companions actually use ammo/durability on the gun they have equipped? Seems like it, but I only did a couple fights after getting my first one.

Last edited:

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Anyone has any experience so far with stealth and companions?

I usually don't use one because it a lot of other games they companions get you detected and shit when you are trying to sneak around.

Also if you free the little lizard rats in edgewater, the guards freak out and attack them but can't seem to kill them.

Crone

Trying to go a Ranged Weapons build, but haven't really gotten anything that's very Sniper'ish. Oh well. Will get there. Calling it for tonight, just shy of Level 7.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Still haven't got to play it. My windows update took forever... then failed. Now updated again and that worked. Now I am trying to DL the game but the DL outright lies to you because at 5 mb/s like it says I am getting it is moving at a snails pace...

God damn I hate the Microsoft store.

• 1Like