The Outsider

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think they are trying to get across just how skeptical the average person would be. Which is cool and all but they're dragging it on. Even in the face of completely inexplainable evidence and unbelievable coincidence everyone just wants to shrug it away as being bullshit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Personally I don't mind it b/c it lends credibility to the realism of the show. Any real detective would never entertain a supernatural explanation until it he saw it with his own eyes. Even other shows that i enjoyed like n0s4a2 played its hand a little early imo and almost took me out of it.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Just binge watched episodes 1 through 6. Good show, not great. As usual with Stephen King, you get the typical stock characters: alcoholic cop, odd genius that no one believes and is misunderstood, the cynic, the skeptic. It's almost as if Stephen King has never heard of the word trope. That being said, the story is still intriguing, but I'm just waiting for the usual King unsatisfactory conclusion. I hope I'm wrong and they're able to give an "oh shit!" moment for a worthy payoff.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Just binge watched episodes 1 through 6. Good show, not great. As usual with Stephen King, you get the typical stock characters: alcoholic cop, odd genius that no one believes and is misunderstood, the cynic, the skeptic. It's almost as if Stephen King has never heard of the word trope. That being said, the story is still intriguing, but I'm just waiting for the usual King unsatisfactory conclusion. I hope I'm wrong and they're able to give an "oh shit!" moment for a worthy payoff.
Not sure what they can do for there to be an "oh shit" moment. We know that the thing killing these kids is supernatural. So now it's all about how are they going to kill it.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Not sure what they can do for there to be an "oh shit" moment. We know that the thing killing these kids is supernatural. So now it's all about how are they going to kill it.

Yeah, I guess never reading the book I'm intrigued as to how you fight something that is supernatural, and can attack you and put that shit on your neck without even being able to see it. Maybe even a surprise ending, like it gets away or something. I don't know. I'm never confident when it comes to Stephen King's writing. I think "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" was more of an exception, and obviously not the norm.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I guess never reading the book I'm intrigued as to how you fight something that is supernatural, and can attack you and put that shit on your neck without even being able to see it. Maybe even a surprise ending, like it gets away or something. I don't know. I'm never confident when it comes to Stephen King's writing. I think "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" was more of an exception, and obviously not the norm.

I thought everyone he has marked he touched?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The end was a nightmare she woke up from. I'm guessing she freaked out thinking she is gonna be taken over by El Coco now.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The end was a nightmare she woke up from. I'm guessing she freaked out thinking she is gonna be taken over by El Coco now.
That's what I figured, but the way it all played out was a bit strange -- they were all out looking for Holly and then poof, she's back at the hotel (or wherever) talking to the gang. I need to re-watch the events at the gas station, but did she do a key switch-a-roo before exiting the vehicle?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't catch if she did a switch or just had a second set of keys, just she needed her purse for her period.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was a rental car, so I think she had two sets of keys. I agree though, the editing of the whole sequence was really botched.

The whole episode was sloppy.

Mendelsohn's wife guilt trips him because Holly leaves the house in the morning. This is not a normal reaction for his wife to have. Then, through 5 minutes of plot contrivances Mendelsohn concludes that she was kidnapped? Holly could have left Mendelsohn a note that she was going out with Jack (rogue cop) to follow-up on a lead, but also asked him to please call her once he is up and going for the day.

The cop that Mendelsohn answers to, the guy that wears the GBI vest, all of a sudden is once again interested in the Strip Club manager? Why? What possible reason would GBI vest guy have to be circling back around on this guy at this point? Mendelsohn hasn't even learned that the guy has quit yet. And even if he has quit his shitty strip club manager job, who the fuck cares? Unless, we need to bring this non-essential character back into the story for a "gotcha" moment later on. Thus the freak-out by Mendelsohn's wife about how he was scratched by Terry Maitland and now everyone needs to find this guy ASAP. So contrived...

It was a good moment in Ep 6 when Holly confirms Jack is compromised when she gets him to lean forward and sees the boils on his neck. Then, this episode, Jack just comes right out and shows her? He goes from being uncomfortably mute to spilling his guts on how a demon possessed him? Then, when Holly gets away, he pulls out his gun and starts popping off? He just went from plausible deniability about the whole situation, to attempted murder in a very low % chance of taking her out. Not something a cop would do.

From later dialogue, we know that they are 2 hours in a random direction outside of town. Not near the farm house or anything. We see Holly peeling out of the gas station in a completely random and frantic direction, and then Mendelsohn & private investigator dude at the same gas station and indeterminate amount of time later. They inspect her destroyed phone. They go from being scattered all the fuck around in random directions at different times at a minimum of 2 hours out town, to being back together in Mendelsohn's dining room. No communication, no coordination, just back home. Even the lawyer, who wants to sue all their asses is there like a big happy family reunion.

So many elements in this episode fail the logic test. HBO is supposed to be better than this.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The first episode was the best, it's all downhill from there. By HBO standards this program is pretty bad

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The cop that Mendelsohn answers to, the guy that wears the GBI vest, all of a sudden is once again interested in the Strip Club manager? Why? What possible reason would GBI vest guy have to be circling back around on this guy at this point? Mendelsohn hasn't even learned that the guy has quit yet. And even if he has quit his shitty strip club manager job, who the fuck cares? Unless, we need to bring this non-essential character back into the story for a "gotcha" moment later on. Thus the freak-out by Mendelsohn's wife about how he was scratched by Terry Maitland and now everyone needs to find this guy ASAP. So contrived...

After Holly told them all about El Coco in Ep 6 he was saying the last person they knew of coming into contact with Terry Maitland was the Strip Club guy so he assumes he is next in line for El Coco. He was pretty much the only person who seemed to not flat out reject what she said. Mendelsohn's wife as well.

Last edited:

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The first episode was the best, it's all downhill from there. By HBO standards this program is pretty bad

It is bad. I was hoping for something more like "True Detective" but it's about as far from that as you can get. The writing is bad, the acting is bad, the plot is messy. I'm out. At this point, I don't really care what happens, it's just not very interesting.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The first episode was giving me TD vibes and looked like it might be good. Downhill all the way since.

• 1Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
What's weird is I'm watching old Outer Limits episodes I missed and S01E11 "Under the bed" has a boy snatched by a magical shape-shifting creature that feeds on fear. The investigators are mentioning baba-yaga etc. and leafing through fantasy books like the investigator was surfing the net in the outsiders:
1.jpg

2.jpg

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I agree with the general sentiment in this thread. This show looked like it was going to be great at the start, but now it seems like it's stuck in the mud. I had no problem with what happened to Bateman's character, but for me the show hasn't been going anywhere since then

• 2Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It is bad. I was hoping for something more like "True Detective" but it's about as far from that as you can get. The writing is bad, the acting is bad, the plot is messy. I'm out. At this point, I don't really care what happens, it's just not very interesting.

It more reminded me of "The Night Of" when it was shaping up to be another "guy gets framed", but this just this isn't holding my interest. It's like a shit "Stranger Things for Adults"

• 2Like

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I thought last night's episode was the best in a while. At least the plot finally moved forward

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, not surprised that the one that actually had plot was good. This could have been 4 episodes long at this point. There’s what, two left?