The Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

Caliane

Forward time travel as normally seen is probably impossible, but on an individual level if you can place the body in uninterruptible stasis without effect on the body, the individual wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and instantaneous time-travel.
Forward time travel is easily possible, because the passage of time is relative. Has nothing to do with stasis. It does have to do with moving very fast.

A traveler leaves Earth to go to a planet 9.5 light years away. They travel at .95c, or 95% the speed of light.
An observer from Earth watches them leave and arrive. To them, it takes to observe 10 years for the trip.
For the traveler, it took 3.12 years.

now, if it was say 2100 that the traveler left, it is 2110 when they arrive, but they will have only aged 3.12 years.

Reverse time travel is not possible, because the speed of light, is not really the speed of light.
The speed of light is actually the "speed of causality". The speed of cause and effect. Everything caps out at that speed. Reverse time travel, would break Causality. and Causality is the single most fundamental aspect of the universe.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
now, if it was say 2100 that the traveler left, it is 2110 when they arrive, but they will have only aged 3.12 years.

That's not time travel lol. It's still the same year for both the observing party and the traveling party. It's still the same moment of time.

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Forward time travel is easily possible, because the passage of time is relative. Has nothing to do with stasis. It does have to do with moving very fast.

A traveler leaves Earth to go to a planet 9.5 light years away. They travel at .95c, or 95% the speed of light.
An observer from Earth watches them leave and arrive. To them, it takes to observe 10 years for the trip.
For the traveler, it took 3.12 years.

Reverse time travel is not possible, because the speed of light, is not really the speed of light.
The speed of light is actually the "speed of causality". The speed of cause and effect. Everything caps out at that speed. Reverse time travel, would break Causality. and Causality is the single most fundamental aspect of the universe.

I'm speaking of the concept of instantaneous time travel that is usually what is employed in sci-fi and the like. If you consider time dilation stuff time travel, then you might as well consider our normal motion through time to be time travel as well.

Caliane

That's not time travel lol. It's still the same year for both the observing party and the traveling party. It's still the same moment of time.
If I open a door, walk through said door, taking 3 seconds, and during that transition, 10 years have passed to everyone else. how is that not time travel?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
If I open a door, walk through said door, taking 3 seconds, and during that transition, 10 years have passed to everyone else. how is that not time travel?

First of all, that would never and could never happen. Second of all, what you're claiming is that it only seems like it took 3 seconds when it actually took 10 years but merely felt like 3 seconds.

• 1Picard

Caliane

No, not joking. No clue how they gain inertia :/
Inertia is the property of matter to remain unchanged, unless acted on by an external force.

This is probably directly tied to causality. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest. The default setting of everything.
If, then.

If an external force interacts with an object, this causes a reaction. Atom, by atom. Cause then effect. An "inertial dampener" would have to somehow, cause every atom within an object, be it passenger, spaceship, etc to be effected at the same rate, at the same time, by any external force.
When you hit the brakes on your car, YOU don't stop, your car doesn't even stop, the wheels don't stop.
what does stop, is the surface of your brakes as they have fricition with the brake pad surface. the surface of the brakes, then slow/stop the brakes, then wheels. AS the surface of the wheels then stop with friction with the road surface.

And yes, this opens the big question. If, the universe is a closed system. AND, Causality requires CAUSE then effect. AND, the fundamental state of everything is AT REST.
What the fuck caused the big bang? By our understanding of reality, it HAD to be an external force.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

First of all, that would never and could never happen. Second of all, what you're claiming is that it only seems like it took 3 seconds when it actually took 10 years but merely felt like 3 seconds.
I would have literally only aged 3 seconds. Half life of radioactive materials would have only aged 3 seconds.

Time is an illusion of cause and effect.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Welp I’m rewatching Dark City over Thanksgiving break. Been too long.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It doesn't help that 'time travel' is a really ineffective term to describe any of it. We're all technically time travelling right now. If dilation is really the only method to control the process, then something like time-acceleration would work better.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It doesn't help that 'time travel' is a really ineffective term to describe any of it. We're all technically time travelling right now. If dilation is really the only method to control the process, then something like time-acceleration would work better.

And that doesn’t even work really, it’s like ‘object relative time acceleration’. Because all it really is, is time passing at different rates for different objects relative to each other.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Let's do the same exercise but with more extreme numbers.

Say you're headed to a star 10 light years away, you leave tomorrow, and you travel there at 0.99999c.

If you watched the clock the whole time, you'd see a mere 16 days pass. If you marked an X on the calendar for each day you see pass by, you would think it was December 1st, 2018. But if you checked with anyone when you got out of your space ship, they'd tell you it's November 15th, 2028.

You're only two weeks older, but everyone else is 10 years older.

You wouldn't say that from YOUR perspective you time travelled? Why, because it took two weeks and wasn't instantaneous?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
You can stop right there and bingo, you're starting to get it! Time doesn't actually exist. And therefore, we can conclude that time travel doesn't either.
Saying "time doesn't exist" is some new age mumbo jumbo about as accurate as saying "space doesn't exist, we all exist at one point simultaneously."

I think what you mean to say is something more like "the timeline doesn't exist" or "the universe keeps no record of the past," which I can agree with. "The only time that exists is the present," yeah, I can agree with that too, but I'm looking at the clock right now, and the definition of "the present" is changing every moment.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Let's do the same exercise but with more extreme numbers.

Say you're headed to a star 10 light years away, you leave tomorrow, and you travel there at 0.99999c.

If you watched the clock the whole time, you'd see a mere 16 days pass. If you marked an X on the calendar for each day you see pass by, you would think it was December 1st, 2018. But if you checked with anyone when you got out of your space ship, they'd tell you it's November 15th, 2028.

You're only two weeks older, but everyone else is 10 years older.

You wouldn't say that from YOUR perspective you time travelled? Why, because it took two weeks and wasn't instantaneous?

Again, what you're claiming is literally an impossible scenario that will never and can never occur. Regardless, the same amount of time is still occurring for you as it was for everyone else otherwise how the fuck are you arriving at the same moment of time as everyone else? Either way, your example is not even possible in reality regardless so I'm not sure what your point even is.

Caliane

Maybe not possible. The Tipler cylinder - Wikipedia mathematically works out and would be a mechanism to travel into the past.
If I am reading that correctly. what its basically saying is, time travel is theoretically possible... if you create a bubble universe where the laws of physics are different then ours, then you could create time travel inside that bubble.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Again, what you're claiming is literally an impossible scenario that will never and can never occur. Regardless, the same amount of time is still occurring for you as it was for everyone else otherwise how the fuck are you arriving at the same moment of time as everyone else? Either way, your example is not even possible in reality regardless so I'm not sure what your point even is.

only Lumi could be this dense.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
only Lumi could be this dense.

Pretty sure it's you that's dense my friend. What you are saying doesn't make any sense at all. Your example states that you can somehow travel to a star 10 light years away traveling at .99999 the speed of light and some how arrive there in 16 days(lollll????). In order for this to be possible, you would've had to been traveling at roughly 228x the speed of light. Even your own example makes no fucking sense whatsoever and you say I'm the dense one? Bro, I think you need to stop with that chemo shit because it clearly fucked up your already damaged brain.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 4Picard
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 4 users