The Pokemon Thread

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Well, I didn't read what that mystery trade thing was and I traded away my Chesnaught for a fucking Honedge... whatever. I left him in my box once he hit his second evolution anyway. I'm trading my Sylveon for a charmander or ditto.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Picked this up last night because I had credit on my account from Shin 4 and Fire Emblem purchase so I only had to pay 10 bucks.

Never played one of these games before but I really liked Shin 4 until I got stuck and cannot get passed one of the bosses.

fc: 0275-7874-2988 - Utnayan

Neph_sl

shitlord
Between this game and the upcoming Zelda, I'm really temped to pick up a 3DS. Super Mario 3D Land doesn't look too shabby either.

Damn you, Nintendo, and your quality 1st party games. Even if the games only change incrementally, they're always fun.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Went with Frog + Charmander as my starters. Furfrou is a beast on my team, though.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Between this game and the upcoming Zelda, I'm really temped to pick up a 3DS. Super Mario 3D Land doesn't look too shabby either.

Damn you, Nintendo, and your quality 1st party games. Even if the games only change incrementally, they're always fun.
There's actually a ridiculous amount of high quality titles on the 3ds. If you enjoy JRPGs (not Final Fantasy) like the Shin Megami Tensei games and the Etrian Oddyssey games, there's several high quality titles in both franchises, easily several hundred hours worth of gaming content, on there that you won't find anywhere else.

Its the little system that could at this point.

Tenks

My only gripe with the 3DS is the "3D" portion. It gives me a headache and you need to be in the sweet spot for it to work. I've given up on the 3D at this point and always just play in 2D mode. It is still a nice little system though. Fire Emblem, SMT and Pokemon were my big three as the selling point.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Even Nintendo has given up on the 3d gimmick if you play the new pokemon its hardly used.

3d has always been shit. The only time I've seen it used right was on some overpriced early 90s arcade game, and that's because it was the early 90s and we thought we were seeing a glimpse of the Star Trekian future we were promised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Traveler_(video_game)

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My only gripe with the 3DS is the "3D" portion. It gives me a headache and you need to be in the sweet spot for it to work. I've given up on the 3D at this point and always just play in 2D mode. It is still a nice little system though. Fire Emblem, SMT and Pokemon were my big three as the selling point.
This ended up being why I sold my first gen one a while ago - especially since my 3D "lever" thing was loose as hell on mine on would randomly turn on in the midst of playing - not sure if I'll go 3DS again or 2DS when I grab a system again to Pokemon it up again, do prefer having the clamshell design for protection but if that "lever" is still loose sometimes the thing is nearly useless to me.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
This ended up being why I sold my first gen one a while ago - especially since my 3D "lever" thing was loose as hell on mine on would randomly turn on in the midst of playing - not sure if I'll go 3DS again or 2DS when I grab a system again to Pokemon it up again, do prefer having the clamshell design for protection but if that "lever" is still loose sometimes the thing is nearly useless to me.
There's a little tab that holds it down that is concealed in the case. Yours might have snapped off, or, for the first few weeks when I had mine, I didn't realize you had to "click it" into place at the very bottom to completely turn 3d off. That made it feel loose to me too. Might have been the issue.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, must've been a defect in mine, I absolutely was trying to jam that thing to the bottom from day one all the time and it never took - guess going 3DS XL when I do is feasible then, and if it doesn't have the catch I'll return it as defective - didn't realize it was supposed to have that. [Only one I messed with besides mine was a floor model in a store before I got it - and never noticed the latch there either - but very possible a floor display is gonna have something worn out...]

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Is it possible to get all the Pokemon between these 2 games? My son bought 1 and I was thinking of buying the other.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I think you have to trade back and forth and stuff but basically yes.

To be honest, I really have never been a huge pokemon fan, I like the core mechanics but the games are geared younger so they never implicitly interested me per se, so I'm not super knowledgable about all the details but theoretically, you should be able to get all the pokemon if you work together with both copies. There's not that many exclusive pokemon to each version anyway.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I had never played any of these games. I remember when I was a CS student in college a Comic Book store hired me to do their networking and set up their eBay store so I actually worked there for a few months. I remember hearing about these games and the card games. I despised these kids at the time because I was always trying to do tedious and repetitive work while these kids were going berserk.

This weekend a friend called me up to go with him to pick up the game. I don't know why, he just did and he convinced me I should try one. I figured well I have a 6 year old son with a 3DS so what do I have to lose. Anyway, I bought the game and the thing is pretty freaking addicting. I have limited Pokemon knowledge but learning it. It is definitely a great time waster. I have nothing to compare it to but it seems very well done.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The games are very well made RPGs, even if the content and story part of the game are on the easy/kiddie side. The post-game competitive battling and breeding stuff is definitely not for the feint of heart though - very deep and complex.

Needless

Toe Sucker
If you're not aware, traded pokemon give you a bonus exp. I believe its 1.5x
I always try and get a traded version just for this reason lol

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I guess I should be more clear. In prior versions you only got 1 chance to capture certain rares. Without having to import a bunch of Pokemon from prior versions are all Pokemon possible to get if you only have x and y version? Hope that's clearer.

Tenks

I don't think anyone knows for sure but I'd be shocked if all the legendary pokemon from the previous iterations are in the current one

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
There are some previous Legendaries who are catchable - The original legendary bird trio (Articuno/Moltres/Zapdos), which one shows up depends on what starter pokemon you chose. Also can catch Mewtwo.

Tenks

But there are a metric fuckton of legondaries in the game now. I'd just be really surprised if they scripted encounters for every single one of them.