The Pokemon Thread

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So on another topic how easy is it to play games on the 3DS via the SD card?
Load times are pretty fast and if you have a 32 gig card, you can hold I dunno like 20 plus games on it?

So very easy?

I buy all my 3ds games digital download only pretty much and it works fine.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
/\/\ Great minds think alike.

So on another topic how easy is it to play games on the 3DS via the SD card?
The same as if you enter a cartridge.... have you downloaded anything on the 3DS before?

I replaced the card with a class 10 32 Gb card, and everything loads extremely fast now. As far as the user experience, it's just another icon on your menu you press to play.

Fadaar

That guy
/\/\ Great minds think alike.

The same as if you enter a cartridge.... have you downloaded anything on the 3DS before?

I replaced the card with a class 10 32 Gb card, and everything loads extremely fast now. As far as the user experience, it's just another icon on your menu you press to play.
No I just got my 3DS yesterday, I was mostly looking to swap out the SD card from my cell phone (which I don't even use) over to my 3DS and put games on there so I don't have to lug around a bunch of cartridges.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Just be careful which kind. I would go with a class 10 32 Gb. A lot faster than stock flash cards you get with a phone or what not. Depending also on the size of the flash drive. If it isn't over 16 I wouldn't even bother. Because if you download a lot of games digitally it will fill up fast.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You can get a 32 gig class 10 for like 20 bucks on Amazon, so if you're going to use an SDHC card, just order one up from there.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Also be aware that as of now, the digital games are tied to the console, not your SD card or your Nintendo account. Nintendo does have a way to restore them if your 3DS is broken or stolen, there is just no user interface for customers. If you sell your 3DS you can't buy another later and just insert your SD card - you have to run the migration tool to move the games from one 3DS to the other.

They are starting to slowly combine the Wii U network account (Nintendo Network) and the 3DS account systems so hopefully sometime in the future Nintendo digital purchases will be shared and tied to your Nintendo account. Nintendo is just really slow to develop this so far - they didn't even have a dedicated online server until Wii U.

Also, Nintendo games (especially Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon titles) hold their value really well (because people generally keep them instead of trading in) so buying a physical copy gives you the option of trading them in/selling down the road.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the suggestions orderedAmazon.com: Sony 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card (SF64UY/TQMN): SONY: Computers Accessories. Solid reviews and performance, don't mind spending a few extra bucks when the lack of shipping from Prime makes up the difference anyway.
You may want to change this to 32 - 3DS does not support more than 32 Gb SDHC Cards.

SD Cards That Have Been Tested to Work with the Nintendo 3DS Family | Nintendo 3DS Family | Nintendo Support

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Picked this up for the gf, who has a long flight to Cape Town in a week....

Maybe its because I've never used a 3ds, but hers feels fucking tiny as hell. Buttons seem too small, screen is too small, etc. I know they have a 3ds XL or whatever now, but I'm not about to blow $200 on a handheld for one game. Any tips/hardware add ons/etc that are avialable for the regular 3ds?

As for the game, haven't played a Pokemon since the original in black and white - fun little game. Girlfriend will enjoy it I think. Wish they would take it a step further though, and give you more RPG elements. Still though, the core of the game is excellent and has obviously held up really well. Evolved my Tyrunt last night - thing looks beast. Think they could make a killing on this releasing an HD version for Ipad/Iphone. I know I'd happily pay $50-$60 to use it on a bigger screen with better gfx.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Dude it's 30 bucks more. You are already blowing 169. And yes it makes a huge difference. Non XL 3DS's are horrible. Lower battery life, smaller screen, harder to hold...

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the suggestions orderedAmazon.com: Sony 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card (SF64UY/TQMN): SONY: Computers Accessories. Solid reviews and performance, don't mind spending a few extra bucks when the lack of shipping from Prime makes up the difference anyway.
Unofficially if you can format it to FAT 32 it should work, but yeah, officially supported maximum is 32 gb and that's all you're gonna need, so I would change it while you can down to 32gb.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah with the XL out there is absolutely zero reason to have a launch 3DS unless you bought it at launch

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
If you enjoy the series solely for the sake of collecting Pokemon, that's cool. It's not my thing but I can understand it. But it blows my mind that anyone actually thinks that the gameplay in Pokemon is anything but fucking horrible.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They've iterated and refined it enough now that its passable.

I'm more entertained by the Atlus RPGs on the system, honestly.

The remake of Etrian Oddyssey 1 came out like a week before Pokemon so it got drowned out, but if anyone is looking for a more adult geared JRPG, you can't go wrong with that one, either.

Etrian Oddyssey 4 is also a great game. Both are pretty long, too. Lots of content.

There's three different Shin Megami Tensei games on there as well. All pretty good.