The Prepper Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

I'm embarrassed that I'm the one starting this thread since "Prepper" conjures up mental images of fat accountants and handlebar mustaches draped in confederate flags, but this forum is both the best & worst source for information and I figured I'd give it a go. IBTR.

We've watched "Doomsday Preppers" a few times on streaming and it's fun entertainment in small doses because it's cringey as fuck usually. I've found a few podcasts, but they're all a bunch of loony sovereign citizens that are masturbating the the idea of the apocalypse. Same thing with any youtube videos I've found - It seems like everyone in the prepper community is actually fantasizing about the downfall of civilization and the "prepping" is just a LARP for their favorite scenario. I get that, but I'm actually interested in being as self-reliant as possible and most of that has nothing to do with guns or combat scenarios. It's food, water, shelter and health for myself and my family. Where the hell do people like that congregate, and am I associating myself with the wrong, uh, "movement" due to terminology?

Preppers are usually crazy sovereign citizens and focused on combat & conflict. Rampant conspiracy theorists, too.
The self-reliant or "sustainable" crowd always have a strong ideological aspect to them that I couldn't give a fuck less about.
Mormons have the right idea, but I'm not giving up my Sundays or whispering to ghosts.
The Amish are my jam, but they don't tend to have podcasts or youtube channels.

Anyways, I'm hoping that can be a place to share information about how to become less reliant on other people or organizations for life's basic necessities. Practical tips on gardening and farming, ranking geographic regions and features, long term food storage, etc. Everything going on in politics right now is pretty alarming to me, but the "Don't rely on others" philosophy is something that I've always clung to since I was a teenager and I'd love it if this thread held on to that concept and not some sort of political revolution or collapse concept.

EDIT: Adding a snippet from Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule 's post in here because I think he worded the whole topic I'm aiming for better than I did:
This is an interesting topic that I've thought about from time to time over the years.

I think you have to start from 2 slightly different questions, which lead to different but possibly overlapping answers:

1. In a homesteading situation, how much of modern life is feasible to become self reliant/self producing?

2. In a disaster/SHTF/Zombie Apoc/whatever situation, what will I be deprived of that I need to stock up on now?

I have fuckall to share because the whole reason I'm making this post is because I can't find sane & grounded conversation elsewhere, but I guess I'll dump some of the stuff that I've been reading and hope one of you poopsocks or lurkers jumps in with other recommendations.

And of course, my favorite episode of Doomsday preppers:

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

SeanDoe1z1

uuh i was planning on just being a cannibal.

maybe avoid the dark meat though

• 2Worf
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I don't see the point of conventional prepping if you live in a urban area. Those dozen or so buckets of rice won't do you any good when you have no water to cook it and trying to cook it attracts raiders.

Imo if it's a true apocalypse you are simply fucked. Best bet would be to gtfo of dodge to whatever place is safe.

Having said that I'm all for keeping a reasonable amount of supplies to get you through the natural disruptions that happen. At a minimum a weeks worth of food and water. From there any other supplies you need to get you through the likely disasters you expect to endure. Of course if you do this liberal cunts think you're a terrorist.

Id go buy a case or two of bottled water and a case of MREs. MREs are a bit more expensive than other options but the nice thing about them is each one has everything you need for each meal inside a very portable little package.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Salty

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I don't see the point of conventional prepping if you live in a urban area. Those dozen or so buckets of rice won't do you any good when you have no water to cook it and trying to cook it attracts raiders.

Imo if it's a true apocalypse you are simply fucked. Best bet would be to gtfo of dodge to whatever place is safe.

Having said that I'm all for keeping a reasonable amount of supplies to get you through the natural disruptions that happen. At a minimum a weeks worth of food and water. From there any other supplies you need to get you through the likely disasters you expect to endure. Of course if you do this liberal cunts think you're a terrorist.

Id go buy a case or two of bottled water and a case of MREs. MREs are a bit more expensive than other options but the nice thing about them is each one has everything you need for each meal inside a very portable little package.
I'd mostly agree with this but I think it's not that hard to have enough food and water for a month with minor preparations. Ammo and weapons is a given. You just have to last through the initial waves of ultra violence even in the cities. Someone setting fires to your residence invalidates all your prepping in the cities. There would be safe areas in most of these things, after the initial stuff, getting there, and being valuable would be a larger issue.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Disaster readiness is just smart. That’s why FEMA or whatever put together that “zombie survival kit” website, because it boiled down to general disaster readiness supplies and figured it would get more people interested.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

This is kind of what I'm talking about. I live in a very rural area and my interest isn't anything like "how to survive the first 30 days", it's in how to transition your way of living to another way that relies on other people as little as possible. Having a water well that can be supplemented with solar or manpower, for instance. Backyard gardening that has synergy with small livestock, etc.

I really think I'm interested in a sort of homesteading lifestyle more than anything, but not a massive change that upends everyone's life and requires detaching from society.

I look at our pantry every day when I get home and I'm always trying to think of a way to keep a years worth of food on there that will actually get eaten & cycled out as we keep living our lives the way we are.

I struggle to explain that narrow window that I'm interested in, but if you look at the extremes as being -
oblivious/uninterested-----x--------------------------full blown doomsday prepper

I'm the X.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The amount of people that can't make it 2 days after a hurricane is quite high. The people you saw on the interstate wanting water after Katrina lived in the projects in multi level apartments. If the first floor flooded they could have gone up a level or two. But nobody had water and they wanted water. No bottles, no water drawn up in pots, bath tubs. Nothing.

Until recently I lived in heavy hurricane zone and normally kept enough to go a decent amount of time. I've gone a week or more without power. It's not that hard to have water and food to last that long. I think people should start with enough to last 2 days first.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
While obviously not prepper territory there was a show about building a house off grid on on of them hgtv or whatever channels. Same for youtube there was a dude building an off the grid house somewhere in the mountains. I stumbled onto his channel during one of my youtube rabbit hole trips about beekeeping. That was interesting.

Me personally have a stash of pristine bottle caps just in case we end up in a fallout type situation.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
This is kind of what I'm talking about. I live in a very rural area and my interest isn't anything like "how to survive the first 30 days", it's in how to transition your way of living to another way that relies on other people as little as possible. Having a water well that can be supplemented with solar or manpower, for instance. Backyard gardening that has synergy with small livestock, etc.

I really think I'm interested in a sort of homesteading lifestyle more than anything, but not a massive change that upends everyone's life and requires detaching from society.

I look at our pantry every day when I get home and I'm always trying to think of a way to keep a years worth of food on there that will actually get eaten & cycled out as we keep living our lives the way we are.

I struggle to explain that narrow window that I'm interested in, but if you look at the extremes as being -
oblivious/uninterested-----x--------------------------full blown doomsday prepper

I'm the X.
Just buy guns and ammo and murder for supplies obviously

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Guns was last year. Murdering for supplies isn't really an option because I'm a social butterfly and I don't want dinner parties to get awkward.
Also, everyone around here hunts and I've seen people's arsenals. Becoming a world-renowned dicksucker would be a better plan to survive around here than fighting them.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
A bug-out bag or BOB[1][2][3] is a portable kit that normally contains the items one would require to survive for 72 hours[4] when evacuating from a disaster, although some kits are designed to last longer periods. Other names for such a bag are a 72-hour kit,[5] battle box, grab bag, go bag, GOOD bag (get out of Dodge),[6] INCH bag (I'm never coming home), [7] personal emergency relocation kit (PERK), or quick run bag (QRB).[8][9]

The focus is on evacuation, rather than long-term survival, distinguishing the bug-out bag from a survival kit, an aviation or a boating emergency kit, or a fixed-site disaster supplies kit. The kits are also popular in the survivalism subculture.[10]

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Guns was last year. Murdering for supplies isn't really an option because I'm a social butterfly and I don't want dinner parties to get awkward.
Also, everyone around here hunts and I've seen people's arsenals. Becoming a world-renowned dicksucker would be a better plan to survive around here than fighting them.

I mean, it’s good you have a plan. It’s not my plan, but you do you.

• 1Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
This is an interesting topic that I've thought about from time to time over the years.

I think you have to start from 2 slightly different questions, which lead to different but possibly overlapping answers:

1. In a homesteading situation, how much of modern life is feasible to become self reliant/self producing?​
2. In a disaster/SHTF/Zombie Apoc/whatever situation, what will I be deprived of that I need to stock up on now?​

Relating to question 1 and 2, the big one is electricity. If you can become self reliant and make your own electricity, you're way ahead of the game in either situation. Personally I think solar is a dead end in this regard. My own idea is to have a natural gas generator that is sealed up and the waste heat from the generator used for home heating. With the generator hooked up to a battery + inverter system, you can run your normal power needs through only having a gas line hookup instead of having a gas line + electrical power hookup. If you then add a natural gas storage tank to this system to account for interruptions in gas line service you're only limited by the size of the tank(s) you have access to. Natural gas generators are pretty efficient these days, and if you were careful with your power needs you could get 500-1000GAL of natural gas to last quite a while in an emergency. You could also set up the system to be able to hook a portable diesel generator to it as well for a backup to the NG generator.

The downside is the cost of course. You have to pay for the generator, the gas lines, the tank, the battery system, and then engineer a facility designed to direct the heat towards heating something useful in the house. The savings you'll get from that compared to what your power bill currently is is likely negligible at best. But is cost really that much of a concern if you're talking about the situations you're planning for?

Relating to question 2, it's a question of identifying what you really need to survive, and then what would be nice to have that you couldn't get in a situation where the nationwide on-demand supply chain breaks down. I haven't put a lot of thought into this because it's such a broad question. You basically only NEED food, water, shelter to survive, but there's all kinds of things that fall into the nice to have category. The main things I come back to are those water filter straw gizmos I see advertised sometimes, and Night Vision of some kind. NV would be extremely useful in an emergency situation or SHTF situation, and probably more valuable than gold.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I have a Super basic Bug out Bag with food water clothes and some general shit in my car.

I own a Gun (well owned need to get a new one in Colorado)

I know how to field dress a deer but I hate venison.

At home I just moved so I have maybe a few days of canned/dry goods but no water.

Colorado seems like a nice place for a boogaloo since I can drive like 45 minutes and be surrounded by nothing.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i have two bug out bags in my pantry, it's also where my safe is, inside the safe in a fireproof bag (so i just grab the bag) i have all essential docs, cash dvds(pics etc) and first aid
(a canvas molle one, not the hard plastic kind)
9669c85f4b7dd7955d159815c04ab1c2.png

this is just get gtfo in under a min with at least something and not lose your whole life (documents, memories).

and i know you fucks, no i don't have a bottle of soy sauce in my bugout bag (i have packets)

• 2Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Having gone through SERE and some other less intense survival training, it is hard to overstate the quality of life improvement from having soy sauce, tabasco, cholula, or some other flavoring to add to your food.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Having gone through SERE and some other less intense survival training, it is hard to overstate the quality of life improvement from having soy sauce, tabasco, cholula, or some other flavoring to add to your food.
There's a reason the spice trade was so lucrative.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>