The Prepper Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Oldbased

> Than U
Or gets murdered by me in the first 5 minutes. Cause that's my plan if I decide I want to try and survive a doomsday scenario, is to murder as many preppers as I can.
Terrible plan and too much risk. Focus your efforts and tactics into just taking out one really good one and you are set. At least until someone else comes along.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Terrible plan and too much risk. Focus your efforts and tactics into just taking out one really good one and you are set. At least until someone else comes along.

Nah I'm pretty sure that once I've murdered once I'll develop a hunger for it, and with society having broken down there would be very few targets with enough risk to satisfy that itch.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Nah I'm pretty sure that once I've murdered once I'll develop a hunger for it, and with society having broken down there would be very few targets with enough risk to satisfy that itch.
Just because you can kill families for their teenage daughters doesn't mean you should. Even in nuclear fallouts Gavin. Have some decency!

• 1Worf

blizzak

<Silver Donator>
my wife and i grow our own food. we harvest our own seeds and prep them for the following year. i hunt and my wife who is an herbalist is an amazing forager. pick up a couple of books on the edibles in your state or province, its amazing whats available to eat year round. we will be heating the new house with firewood and have a propane backup. we will have chickens a couple of goats a donkey and maybe a couple of sheep. i have spent a small fortune buying a hand tool to match all my power tools. ( the hand powered mig welder is gonna be a bitch to run). we have a well but also a 4 achre pond as a backup water source. we can boil the water but we also own a filtration system if it proves necessary. i am sure i have forgotten more than i mentioned but thats the bulk of our preps. i did just buy 80 windows from a school being torn down. that will be our green house.

• 5Like
  • 1Mic Drop
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Rime

<Donor>
Eh. I live on an old farm from the 1800s. About three miles of forest between myself and the nearest paved road, which is then about 17 miles to the nearest major road. Bordered on three sides by state gamelands (500+ acres in two directions, only like 48 in the other).

Four wells, two with hand pumps, three are safe for human consumption, oldest one goes dry in a major drought, but the others are deep enough that it would have to be catastrophic.

I already grow more vegetables in a short season than my immediate family (4 people) can consume in an entire year when you take into account canning/root cellar storage. Potatoes, green beans, peppers, eggplants, kale/cabbage, cucumbers, zucchini, and sunflowers. Even have an old windmill (1970-ish) that used to be used to grind grain/seed, that can be put back up in a day or two of labor. Corn can be done, but it is a bitch that depends too much on a long summer, so I have never really bothered since my pops passed 15 years ago.

I keep a flock of chickens, a few turkeys, and usually a pair of heffers every other year. Supplemented with hunting (fowl, small game - except rabbit, deer, and bear), the only thing I tend to buy is pork - but with all of the hippies getting into this shit, I usually do trades at the farmer co-op or one of the numerous markets that pop up all the time. I buy a couple 50lbs bags of salt a few times a year. Have a few huge bins of staple carbs that we eat (beans, rice), cycle through them every few months.

I also have a 'bomb' shelter that was retrofitted in the 90s to 'prepare' for Y2K. Enough room for six people to survive for an extended period, access to two of the wells pumps, four different air filtration entrance points.

Most of this shit I inherited from my crazy grandfather, but I have kept it up, 'just to be safe'.

On the other hand, despite having 'lived' rough for the first 20 years of my life, I am so comfortable that I do not think I would want to survive an apocalypse. Could I? More than most. Would I want to? Unlikely. Would just keep on until my immediate family was safe or already gone.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just because you can kill families for their teenage daughters doesn't mean you should. Even in nuclear fallouts Gavin. Have some decency!

See now that just seems like a way to get intransigent slaves. You either coerce/threaten the father into selling his daughter so she feels betrayed, or you set up a beauty and the beast style stockholm syndrome situation.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Rime Rime and blizzak blizzak - I'm jealous of both of you. Feel free to post pictures!

Canning lasts longer than dehydrating food, right? I've never done canning.

• 1Solidarity

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I’m most likely fucked. My “well” is 500 feet from my house and it pours out Baja Blasts.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rime

<Donor>
Dehydration lasts longer, in theory, but (in my opinion) tastes significantly worse. The only thing I dehydrate is red meat for jerky or pemmican.

Canning is more expensive and if you do it wrong, more likely to kill you.

EDIT: Peppers. Herbs. I also dry those, but that is more for seasoning, not eating on their own.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Bah, what about the fiction!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61S5Vs7EJ2L._SX342_.jpg

EMP hits the country and shit starts falling apart almost immediately, pretty good.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ym6bkv88L._SX342_.jpg

Good but I think we'd have a bit more Mad Max. There's just too much stuff lying around.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51BcRBIYw0L._SX342_.jpg

Does the best job of anything explaining how a modern military could still manage to fail versus Romero style zombies. I don't buy it but I appreciate the effort and the whole thing is great. Max Brooks also wrote a comic called The Extinction Parade about vampires waking up and realizing all their food was dying.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Good god, have you ever cooked with your own dehydrated onions or jalapenos? It concentrates the flavor and makes it incredibly potent. Those dehydrated onions in omelettes..mmm...

• 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Dehydration lasts longer, in theory, but (in my opinion) tastes significantly worse. The only thing I dehydrate is red meat for jerky or pemmican.

Canning is more expensive and if you do it wrong, more likely to kill you.

EDIT: Peppers. Herbs. I also dry those, but that is more for seasoning, not eating on their own.
Yeah you don't want to screw around with canning if you don't know what you are doing, instant botulism. Friend of mines dad got it from home canned food.

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah you don't want to screw around with canning if you don't know what you are doing, instant botulism. Friend of mines dad got it from home canned food.

Potentially dangerous but number of cases per year is tiny and user error contributed.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

Potentially dangerous but number of cases per year is tiny and user error contributed.
cdc is against instapot canning it seems
Do not use an electric, multi-cooker appliance, even if it has a “canning” or “steam canning” button on the front panel. Learn moreexternal icon.

expanded

penn state

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Max Brooks also wrote a comic called The Extinction Parade about vampires waking up and realizing all their food was dying.

There was a web comic from like 10 years ago+ that was based on that premise. Zombies kill most of mankind. Vampires make a truce with the last humans because they will starve if all the humans die, so humans begrudgingly allow them to feed from them in return for protection.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
There was a web comic from like 10 years ago+ that was based on that premise. Zombies kill most of mankind. Vampires make a truce with the last humans because they will starve if all the humans die, so humans begrudgingly allow them to feed from them in return for protection.
this sounds like an ethan hawke movie

edit, eh close enough
Daybreakers is a 2009 science-fiction action horror film written and directed by Michael and Peter Spierig. The film takes place in a futuristic world overrun by vampires, and centers around a vampiric corporation which sets out to capture and farm the remaining humans while researching a substitute for human blood. Ethan Hawke plays vampire hematologist Edward Dalton, whose work is interrupted by human survivors led by former vampire "Elvis" (Willem Dafoe), who has a cure that can save the human species.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I keep a couple bug out bags. Can prolly be out of the house with everything in five minutes?

In reality, it's just my old backpack I need unpacked, a gun bag, and a hunting pack. But if you as then together I've got pretty much everything needed. Except water / food.

Cad Cad

Curious what your plan really is. You have mentioned relocation for this type of consideration, but given where you are, and some other stuff you have posted I'm really skeptical of your situation for the Corona zombies.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Bah, what about the fiction!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61S5Vs7EJ2L._SX342_.jpg

EMP hits the country and shit starts falling apart almost immediately, pretty good.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ym6bkv88L._SX342_.jpg

Good but I think we'd have a bit more Mad Max. There's just too much stuff lying around.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51BcRBIYw0L._SX342_.jpg

Does the best job of anything explaining how a modern military could still manage to fail versus Romero style zombies. I don't buy it but I appreciate the effort and the whole thing is great. Max Brooks also wrote a comic called The Extinction Parade about vampires waking up and realizing all their food was dying.

Relevant to this thread:

While not a total collapse of civilization, something like this is actually fairly likely to happen in our lifetimes.

Cybsled

this sounds like an ethan hawke movie

edit, eh close enough
Daybreakers is a 2009 science-fiction action horror film written and directed by Michael and Peter Spierig. The film takes place in a futuristic world overrun by vampires, and centers around a vampiric corporation which sets out to capture and farm the remaining humans while researching a substitute for human blood. Ethan Hawke plays vampire hematologist Edward Dalton, whose work is interrupted by human survivors led by former vampire "Elvis" (Willem Dafoe), who has a cure that can save the human species.

that movie was so bad and the logic was brain dead lol. It sticks out in my mind because my GF dumped me a week later or so after I decided to see that in the theater alone while she went alone to watch some faux Irish romcom. I should have seen the romcom!!!

• 1Like