The progressive rock thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
second, i saw King Crimson live in Cleveland last night, my first time ever seeing them live. was in the third row, right side of the stage. i was excited to sit on that side since that's the side Fripp sits on, and i wanted to watch him play, but unfortunately he sat with his guitar neck perpendicular to me so all i could see was the top of his headstock. that disappointment aside, the show was really fucking good, the only complaint i have is that it was "just" 3 hours, whereas you'd probably need a full 6 or 7 hours to play every Crimso song i want to hear.

after the first set, when the crowd was standing applauding and the band was making their way off stage for intermission, i flashed the devil horns to Robert Fripp. he saw me, stopped what he was doing and shot me a quizzical look, at which point i grinned and nodded at him, evoking a smile from his face. i made the famously stoically-expressioned Fripp smile live. i think i absorbed some sort of immortal power in some mini version of a quickening event.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

50 years to the day since In The Court of the Crimson King first was released

The imminence of this anniversary and all the stuff KC is doing for it are why I've been so hyped on these guys lately. This album really was a huge game changer, that article above^ does a great job of explaining how this band blew up from opening for the Rolling Stones at their huge free concert in Hyde Park, London in 1969.

Was such a huge show, there in Hyde Park, that it held the record for their biggest audience right up until a week or two ago when they beat it at a festival in South America. Totally makes sense how, in light of that crazy music reaching so many people, this band had such a huge impact.

So yeah, excuse my autistically obsessive posting about these guys, now that this date arrived I'm sure I'll just be obsessed for a few more months and then it'll die down :p

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Fripp finally caved and officially put some of the Crimson backlog on Youtube.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Fripp finally caved and officially put some of the Crimson backlog on Youtube.

Yeah I think he got tired of (personally! No less) chasing after all the Crimson copyrighted content that was getting uploaded by trolls.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Been checking out King Crimson after the talk in the thread. Pretty awesome stuff. Islands - Islands is a real gem.

The new singer grew up listening to that album (he's like ~15-20 years younger than Fripp and the other OG members), so as a result they end up playing a lot of the songs from it live. Any of their live albums from 2014-now has that track I think. Really really good live.

Last edited:
second, i saw King Crimson live in Cleveland last night, my first time ever seeing them live. was in the third row, right side of the stage. i was excited to sit on that side since that's the side Fripp sits on, and i wanted to watch him play, but unfortunately he sat with his guitar neck perpendicular to me so all i could see was the top of his headstock. that disappointment aside, the show was really fucking good, the only complaint i have is that it was "just" 3 hours, whereas you'd probably need a full 6 or 7 hours to play every Crimso song i want to hear.

after the first set, when the crowd was standing applauding and the band was making their way off stage for intermission, i flashed the devil horns to Robert Fripp. he saw me, stopped what he was doing and shot me a quizzical look, at which point i grinned and nodded at him, evoking a smile from his face. i made the famously stoically-expressioned Fripp smile live. i think i absorbed some sort of immortal power in some mini version of a quickening event.

Fripp is one of those artists that, ultimately, make it very hard to pigeonhole rock and roll. Just like Sun Ra messed shit up. And others.

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Space is the Place is probably the most exhausting, overwhelming album I've ever listened to, with all the positives and negatives that implies. One could believe Sun Ra's claim that he was alien after listening to it.

Not really my cup of tea aesthetically, but I think everyone that's listened to it would agree that he's successfully doing...whatever it is that he set out to do on it.

• 1Solidarity