The progressive rock thread

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Lyrics: r/im14andthisisdeep

Good track, though. Few can do that dark, uneasy vibe like he can.
I'm not a fan of it personally. The lyrics are juvenile and the music is interesting but just not my style. He tends to mix things up on his albums though so I'm looking forward to what else it has to offer.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Got tickets to see King Crimson & The Zappa Band at Meadowbrook in (well, near) Detroit on June 26th. Might even end up with one extra now it sounds like.

The Zappa Band is the band that performed for The Bizarre World of Frank Zappa hologram tour. Which apparently is something that Frank himself in the years near his death talked about wanting something like it. Tho this Krim tour will not have the hologram.

Apparently they were supposed to do a co-headlining tour with TOOL instead of The Zappa Band. But Tool backed out at the last minute.

I'm interested to see how the music adapts to the larger venues they seem to be doing

I'm concerned tho. They used to have a policy of having one full day off when travelling between different cities on tour. They seem to have dropped that this tour, with some three day stretches of travel, maybe longer I didn't look super close. I'm mostly nervous because the Meadowbrook show is at the end of one of those three days runs haha :)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Got tickets to see King Crimson & The Zappa Band at Meadowbrook in (well, near) Detroit on June 26th. Might even end up with one extra now it sounds like.

The Zappa Band is the band that performed for The Bizarre World of Frank Zappa hologram tour. Which apparently is something that Frank himself in the years near his death talked about wanting something like it. Tho this Krim tour will not have the hologram.

Apparently they were supposed to do a co-headlining tour with TOOL instead of The Zappa Band. But Tool backed out at the last minute.

I'm interested to see how the music adapts to the larger venues they seem to be doing

I'm concerned tho. They used to have a policy of having one full day off when travelling between different cities on tour. They seem to have dropped that this tour, with some three day stretches of travel, maybe longer I didn't look super close. I'm mostly nervous because the Meadowbrook show is at the end of one of those three days runs haha :)

Fair odds it could be cancelled due to corona-panic

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah Krimso's tour doesn't start for three months, i'm hoping this virus nonsense will be over with by summer.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Crimson tour cancelled of course

but i used $100 of my stimulus check to buy a year membership in DGMLive's "The 1000 Club," the elite King Crimson fan club that limits its membership to at most 1000 people at any given time. the big perk besides ticket sales and such is $500 of DGM cash to use to further "purchase" music from their website. those tricky bastards tho, every time i found a show i liked there was, next to the "Download Show" button a button for "Download Entire Tour." did I want every single one of the shows the Double Trio played in Argentina in 2994 when they were warming up towards entering the studio to record THRAK? of course! do I want every single show from the short lived 2008 five-member lineup, the only lineup so far to feature both Adrian Belew and Gavin Harrison? you bet your ass i do!

i shouldn't have gone chronologically backwards tho because by the time i made it to the 1973 tours i had started to run out of money. i've got everything from the 1969 and 1971-1972 band from the ITCOTCK and Sailors' Tales box sets, but they didn't put all those sweet John Wetton shows on the Starless or The Road to Red box sets, assholes! tempted to renew my membership early so i can get another $500 '^_^. pretty sure that would be enough to get just about everything else that I don't have from some other source...

i've got just shy of 1 terabyte of King Crimson on my external hard drive. really need to get it backed up to a second location knock on wood.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
oh also I was looking at KCDB.jp, the Japanese fan run "King Crimson Database" and I realized that in Japan they refer to Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew as "Flip" and "Brew," respectively. and thought that was too hilarious and important to not share lol. so racist towards themselves they can't even get the meme straight, one name goes L->R and the other goes R->L lololol

one review i saw referred to Adrian as "Adrienne Brew," I decided if I ever catfish someone that's the name I'm going to use.

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
i used to rock out to Sever the Voices a lot, nice to hear these guys again
I confess that I'd never heard them before this. I'll correct that oversight. My musical exploration has been unguided. I may miss a great deal but when I stumble onto something it makes the discovery more meaningful.

Here's something new from a band I'm sure you've listened to before.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I confess that I'd never heard them before this. I'll correct that oversight. My musical exploration has been unguided. I may miss a great deal but when I stumble onto something it makes the discovery more meaningful.

i'm the exact same way man haha that's exactly what happened with me and that Veil of Maya album i mentioned just way back a decade ago or whatever

something old from a band that i never had listened to before is Breakfast in America by Supertramp. the first time i heard it i was blown away. i just put the album on on a whim one day as i sifted through some of the 70s prog adjacent stuff i used to ignore. i knew so many of the songs just from the radio and whatnot throughout my life, but prior to the first time i put the album on i had no idea who sang any of those songs. the album plays like a greatest hits album even tho it was just the latest of the LPs they'd been putting out on a regular every-other-year schedule like so many 70s bands.

trying to link a playlist of the album, not sure if those work when embedded but that's the most effort i'm gonna put in haha, go stream it from Amazon Music if you want better :D :p

• 1Like

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
Supertramp is one I heard at the time of release because IIRC the Logical Song played on the radio. Later on I had them all. Crime of the Century was a favorite for a long time. The way it opens makes it unforgettable.

• 1Like

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
They've been around for quite a while. I have no idea why they don't get more recognition. Some of their stuff is a parody of the genre, so maybe that's why.