The progressive rock thread

Pontius_sl

shitlord
Love prog rock, but never liked Rush, big fan of Zappa though. Here are some well known and obscure ones. Have shit loads more, i'm only 30 and grew up with the genre, but while everyone else was into grunge i listened to prog. I remember joking with my other prog nerd friends about how Cobain sounded like he was taking a shit while singing, took me a while to like their music, anyways. (yeah, edited for cool story bro before someone else does it) Also lots of fusion like mahavishu etc, but ill stop here for now.

Favorite prog band from the 70's : The mighty Gentle Giant.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hesitate to include Tool and Metallica because they are so well known. But both are some of the best proggy metal out there. Metallica got a bit lame later but Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets and Justice are fucking prog metal masterpieces IMO. Just a shame that Lightning wasn't recorded better, it sounds kind of shitty in terms of production.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love Ruth Underwood. So glad my inclusion of Zappa in this thread has been met with open arms. Its possibly a bit debatable to some folks if he is to be considered prog. Prog really isn't a genre as much as a philosophy in many ways though so I think it fits.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Someone who knows their early Genesis better than I do should hook us up. Sorely missing from the thread right now.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How the fuck to most people listen to such shit music when this amazing art exists bros? I'm still drunk, forgive me.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Famm talking to himself over here.

Maybe the first prog group I got into. Mainly because piano was the first instrument I learned how to play and Keith Emerson is one bad man.

A band from Norway.

Pontius_sl

shitlord
Someone who knows their early Genesis better than I do should hook us up. Sorely missing from the thread right now.
Chronological by album, not including some awesome live albums and other great songs. These are songs up until the last good album IMO.

Pontius_sl

shitlord
(only 6 vids per post) and +1 on ELP and Jaga. Just noticed i forgot to add a song from Lambs, the last P.Gabriel album. But think it's nuff spam for now.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
now here is a thread i can sink my teeth into. also props to OP for Middletown Dreams. Some of Geddy's most ripping bass work is on Power Windows. Gotta flaunt it when the keys cut you loose for a few measures.
furthermore, this

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
A bit heavier, but prog none the less. This track is one of their "less progressive", but they are definitely in that genre. Their bass player is amazing.

Szlia

For shit and giggles I checked youTube to see if there was stuff on there from the one album of prog-rock I own that is from a swiss band and guess what:

NB: Quality is enhanced if you are a regular of the Astronomy thread!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
People like to hate, but Phish is actually pretty damn progressive in quite a few of their tunes.

And we should get some Tool up in here.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Tool is the first band whose music I really came to love. The first album I ever owned was Undertow on cassette. Here are a couple of my favorite Tool songs from one of the greatest rock albums evah.

darkseid_sl

shitlord
Also a Zappa fan, but his style was his own. I'm forever grateful to Zappa for bringing us the Steve Vai we know today.

As for O.S.I. I heard of them because Portnoy said that he was working with them on their first album. So, I bought it.

Also, here is some Camel. Always liked this song, especially the live version. Andy Latimer even sheds a tear at 6:27.

I need to fine a better quality version of it.

Pontius_sl

shitlord
Some newer and older bands.

Norwegian. Listening alot to this band lately, it's a salad bowl of inspiration from Yes, Genesis to Gentle giant etc.

Italian.

Us band with heavy Zappa influences.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Camel is great. I forgot about them. Friends and I in our early 20's back in like the early 90's (yeah) found that oncassette tapesomewhere and it was dirt cheap so we I was like fuck it its weird and looks like a pack of Camels, I have to find out about it. Turned out to be awesome prog! Of course most people hated it but I had lots of friends into music, jam bands, Primus, Rush, Floyd so it wasn't impossible to find appreciation. This was back before googling and downloading and stuff so if it wasn't on shitty ass mainstream radio or MTV you sometimes ended up just buying a tape or CD at a record store and hoping for the best.

Surprised no one has spammed Dream Theater all over this thread. They always seemed like the number one geek/gamer favorite prog band. Sometimes P. Tree too, and only one from them so far. So here's another.

darkseid_sl

shitlord
Joe Satriani was the first "progressive" artist I got into and Dream Theater came soon after.

I am also a big fan of Porcupine Tree, but I'm sure most people who are into progressive know of them already.