The progressive rock thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Fuck yeah Particle. I have their first (only?) album and it's so fucking good. I don't know if I'd necessarily call them prog though.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Particle is kind of on the jam side of jamtronica. The live versions I've heard come across as much more of an organic band than the electronic sounding studio tracks like you posted.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, I know they're in that whole scene. A lot of jam bands are actually pretty damn proggy.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
moe. even describes themselves as prog rock on their official bio, not jam or psychedelic. Umphrey's is maybe the proggiest pure jam band out there, not counting like Claypool or some of the other more crossover acts.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Awesome! I've only seen the rehearsal clips. I haven't heard any full tunes yet. Will definitely pick this up when the album comes out.

The band probably deserves it's own thread.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Probably the most consistently incredible band I've ever seen. Kevin Gilbert (Vocals, Acoustic Guitar) was easily the most talented musician I've ever known. His story is incredibly sad. RIP Kevin.

This video is actually a composite of 2 shows. Audio is from The Roxy, and the video is from The Cactus Club in Los Angeles. These guys were so good, that they played the song EXACTLY the same, with no click track, and no extra work to sync it up. The guy who put it together just started both tracks at the same time and let it go.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That bass is groovyAF. The song itself is really 80s and outdated though.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Im surprised some of this hasn't been mentioned yet, but Prog is my thing for sure.

The Flower Kings

Kaipa:

Beardfish:

Magic Pie:

Spocks Beard:

Frost*

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
More:

Transatlantic

Iona <-- (Song starts 30 seconds into video. Skip the shit VHS tape intro)

The Tangent

Karmakanic

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
That bass is groovyAF. The song itself is really 80s and outdated though.
The album came out in 1990. The singer, Kevin Gilbert, died in 1996. The band itself was (for the most part) was ridiculously talented.

Kevin Gilbert - Songwriter, Vocals, Guitar, Mandolin, Piano.
Marc Bonilla - Guitar, backing vocals
Anastasios Panos - Drums
Spencer Campbell - Bass
Sheryl Crow - Keyboards, and overall waste of oxygen.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Another one of Kevin's gems..

This band had some amazing talent as well. Lead guitar is Russ Parish, who later played in Rob Halford's Fight, and is now "Satchel" in Steel Panther. Nick D'Virgilio is on drums, who is in Spock's Beard.

And then there was this!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
When I found out Marco Minnemann and Guthrie Govan dropped out of the Steven Wilson tour for another band they're involved in, I had to check it out. And damn, this is some really good prog.

darkseid_sl

shitlord
I regularly listen toDelicious Agonyand the hosts always rave about Aristocrats.

Everything I've heard by them has been really good, but I haven't really sat down and listened to any of their albums yet.

And by the way, Steve Wilson will be releasing a new album on February 27th, that will have the same line-up as The Raven.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just got a ticket to go see Rush on May 8th. First section but towards the right of the stage I think. Never been there.