The progressive rock thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Of course, everyone knows and loves a little Dream Theater. That was the band that really got me into prog. I was into Yes and ELP before, but DT opened my eyes to more modern prog music. Unfortunately, I think DT's best music is behind them. The newest album was very disappointing; by far the least listened to album in their catalog. Portnoy meant so much to that band.

Other Portnoy favorites:

Goddamn shame we probably won't see Petrucci and Portnoy play together again. So much chemistry between those two.

Smocca_sl

shitlord
I saw the new Steven Wilson album is up on what.cd. I can't download it until later today but I figured I'd post a headsup for those interested.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
this thread is delivering huge, I'm a gigantic Rush and King Crimson fan but I've never heard of almost all the rest of the stuff thats been posted. Loving Gordian Knot and Porcupine Tree. Cheers!

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
Storm Corrosion is the collaboration of Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth). Together, these guys make some tremendous music and I was pretty amped for the Storm Corrosion record, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting from these guys. It's not a bad album, just not what I expected. Much more quiet and somber. Worth checking out for sure, but was hoping it would have been more like this song

Also, for those looking for more Steve Wilson goodness, you can check out Blackfield. It's a project he did with some Israeli rock guy. It's a lot like Porcupine Tree.

Elwood_sl

shitlord
Hi all, brand new to RR and this is the first place I came to (Screenshots isn't available yet). Love the Prog thread, looking forward to being enlightened. I'm pretty mainstay in my Prog; Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, anything Bruford. Zappa, UK, Floyd, and to me the greatest piece of all, Quadrophenia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq9uSZnby04

darkseid_sl

shitlord
Loving the new album from Steven Wilson.. don't really have a favorite song as of yet, since it's quite good from start to finish.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What's there to not like about it? It's like...the exact same song. They didn't change anything. Dude ain't no Geddy though.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Riverside just released a new album. I suggest you all find that shit. Shrine of New Generation Slaves.