The Queen's Gambit

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I liked this way more than I thought I would. Basically my primary dig is they stopped showing her working hard at it towards the end and we all know she must have been a beast.

My favorite thing was the portrayal of men in competition and teaching. Super competitive and incredibly invested. Also super supportive. A few assholes here and there but they are the unusual ones, not the rule. Every sport I've been involved in has been like that. It's something you just don't see in movies

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finished this today. It was fantastic. I didnt think I would like it at all. But the acting and writing were excellent. Highly recommend.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last episode spoiler.

I was ready to say, "Yeah, fuck you you cheating shaggy-haired fucker!" when she beat the old grand master but then he went and said something so genuinely kind I reappraised the whole Russians huddled around a table the night before to discuss tactics to beat her.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Last episode spoiler.

I was ready to say, "Yeah, fuck you you cheating shaggy-haired fucker!" when she beat the old grand master but then he went and said something so genuinely kind I reappraised the whole Russians huddled around a table the night before to discuss tactics to beat her.
When they talked earlier about taking a second I assumed that implied doing that sort of stuff was fair game.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It was fair game... she also had the same thing happening for her. Remember the phone call to NY with all her buddies going over what they thought the Russian's strategy for the rest of the board would be?

It was a running theme and was mentioned in earlier episodes "The Russians are better because they work together. The Americans don't"

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malkav

French Madman
I also can kinda understand the initial ruthlessness of the russians because you know losing would pretty much put them in a bad position with the Kremlin. They lost gracefully, but you can guess that it won't be without consequences for them.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I liked this show, the woman put it on for us to watch.

I was afraid it was just a build up to bullshit feminist "crushing the patriarchy" garbage--but was pleasantly surprised--that the writers made it a point, to show that the "crushing the Patriarchy" narrative was mainly forced from a few loud squeaky wheels, and the reality was that for the most part, despite what her mother told her, and what a fem reporter propagated, the men around her--while competitive when playing her--ultimately became extremely supportive of her.

spinnaker

reformed lurker
<Bronze Donator>
Just finished this and all I can say is wow. Loved it all, but the music, cinematography, and Anya's performance really blew me away.

If you've ever been or known someone who's really gone off the rails with booze the way Beth did during her downward spiral then you probably felt that performance ring true like I did. When she furiously shrieked "What!?" at her concerned neighbor while being too sloppy to take out her empty bottles it really hit home.

Don't know if you noticed it, but at some point she mentions (jokes actually) right after she found out Mr. Schueber died that she never even paid him back the $10 she promised him in return for mailing her the $5 that launched her career. My respect for her plummeted at that point, though I guess her obvious despair later is somewhat redeeming.

That was such an unexpected gut punch for me too. Legitimately upsetting lol

Last edited:

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was very well done, I almost thought it was based on a true story at first. Her addiction issues are typical of a lot of kids who rise to fame very quickly with no good support structure around her (parents). She was a somewhat cold person though with very little emotion until the end. I did respect her for turning down the Christian group's money because she wouldn't read their statement to the press. Most in her position take the money (like Benny).

It's funny how shows like this get people interested in something (Chess) when they wouldn't normally otherwise.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
This was very well done, I almost thought it was based on a true story at first. Her addiction issues are typical of a lot of kids who rise to fame very quickly with no good support structure around her (parents). She was a somewhat cold person though with very little emotion until the end. I did respect her for turning down the Christian group's money because she wouldn't read their statement to the press. Most in her position take the money (like Benny).

It's funny how shows like this get people interested in something (Chess) when they wouldn't normally otherwise.

There's a documentary on Amazon about Magnus Carlsen, I think it's just called Magnus. Basically a true male version of this. I think he's a super high functioning autistic that became multiple year world chess champion, he did the thing also where he is blindfolded and plays against ten opponents at the same time.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
When they talked earlier about taking a second I assumed that implied doing that sort of stuff was fair game.
Yup the russians played chess much more like a team not like a group of individuals. It was not any kind of cheating or done with any kind of ill will towards her. It also is why you have to lock in your last move if you ask to adjourn.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I liked this show, the woman put it on for us to watch.

I was afraid it was just a build up to bullshit feminist "crushing the patriarchy" garbage--but was pleasantly surprised--that the writers made it a point, to show that the "crushing the Patriarchy" narrative was mainly forced from a few loud squeaky wheels, and the reality was that for the most part, despite what her mother told her, and what a fem reporter propagated, the men around her--while competitive when playing her--ultimately became extremely supportive of her.
It also on many occasions had her basically speaking against her being held up simply because of gender. It just never seemed to occur to her that her gender would or should matter when playing a game like chess. And chess nerds playing at this level care way more about the game itself than externalities. Overall most of her opponents even ones she crushed repeatedly were very supportive of her not because she was a woman but simply they understood how amazingly good she actually was.

It also was why a lot of her male competitors tried to help her with her substance abuse issues. They were aware of how rare a gift she had and didn't want her to lose it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

Well she was in an orphanage where they hooked her on valium when she was a little kid and then was adopted by somebody with a massive substance abuse issue. I would have been weirder if she did not have drug problems than that she did.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Watched the first episode. Acting and production were pretty good, no complaints there. Especially from younger actors.

Felt like this could have been any game. Is the actual chess aspect explored some more? My wife knows nothing about chess besides the names of some pieces. She wants to watch the next episodes more than I do. Which, to me, says that the show is telling you she's extraordinary at chess instead of letting the audience organically reach that conclusion. I don't know how you'd realistically convey that in this medium to the expected audience though.

Dramatic music during the lucid visions felt really hokey. Like the music didn't match what I was watching.

Tranny in a 1950's religious institution in Kentucky? Ok, sure.

Relatively small nitpicks. I do hope they involve chess some more though so that it becomes a chess drama instead of a drama with people that happen to play chess.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I like the art direction & acting of the show but I couldn't get over the fictitious chess playing.
Felt like there were no stakes at all. It's very clearly laid out and her chess playing is just explained as a gift rather than any sort of skill. A godly "intuitive" player. Seems lazy. The rise to fame & addiction components were much more compelling.
I would have avoided having her beat the Russians, too far fetched.

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I like the art direction & acting of the show but I couldn't get over the fictitious chess playing.
Felt like there were no stakes at all. It's very clearly laid out and her chess playing is just explained as a gift rather than any sort of skill. A godly "intuitive" player. Seems lazy. The rise to fame & addiction components were much more compelling.
I would have avoided having her beat the Russians, too far fetched.
That was exactly my biggest issue. I told my wife during the second to last episode that they should be focusing more on how hard she must have had to work. Make no mistake, if she is at the elite level she put in time.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That was my only complaint too. How she basically acid trips and becomes some insane chess player.