The Queen's Gambit

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I felt the series was good for what it is and definitely enjoyed it. But I agree with your criticism. She wasn't developed enough, at no point did you feel like maybe she won't pull out of this and defeat Borgov, it was always determined. I'd say that making it longer might help and give the room needed for the characters to really grow, but fuck all that, there's enough tv as is, mini-series are great.

But all the characters aren't like that. I feel like her mom is a fully realized character in the short time we see her.
Funny you should say that. It that brings me to the second way I'm a contrarian: I actually don't think Taylor-Joy did a very good job in this role.

She's good looking and charismatic, and she's a magnetic screen presence. Those are all important factors in acting, but they aren't the only factors. A good actor or actress has to really be able to draw you into their character and make you feel empathy. She didn't really do that here. Frankly, the girl that played the younger version of the character did a better job of that.

The fact that other characters managed to seem better developed, including her mother, kind of indicates the failure might not have been the director or the story. I watched Taylor-Joy in Emma and felt pretty much the same way.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
They show her doing nothing but playing chess, going over games, and completely obsessing over it. She was obsessed with chess. I mean, she plays games in her head while lying in bed. It was all she ever thought about and all she ever did (well other than chemically enhancing herself). What are you guys saying about it just being a gift with no effort?
My problem with this show was that, for the most part, she came off as "normal". You know damn well that a person THAT obsessed over something will be on the spectrum somewhere. But, she seemed to interact with others fine for the most part and had a relatively normal personality.

Also, how would tranquilizers HELP one play chess? She even said she plays better with her mind being muddied? How the hell does that work?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
My problem with this show was that, for the most part, she came off as "normal". You know damn well that a person THAT obsessed over something will be on the spectrum somewhere. But, she seemed to interact with others fine for the most part and had a relatively normal personality.

Also, how would tranquilizers HELP one play chess? She even said she plays better with her mind being muddied? How the hell does that work?
She came off as normal? You must hang around some weird ass people.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

I'm not defending the show, although I did love it, but I think the tranquilizers were because she had bad anxiety?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

whatever show you think you were watching, it wasn't this one

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
She likes to dress up and is reasonably articulate. Doesn't smell like cat piss and has reasonably hygiene. TOO NORMAL.

• 1Worf

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'm not defending the show, although I did love it, but I think the tranquilizers were because she had bad anxiety?
She took tranqs and suddenly was able to visualize a chess board and run through all possible combinations. That's bullshit.
She came off as normal? You must hang around some weird ass people.
As "normal" as any other female about that age. She was well groomed, articulate, could look people in the eye. Like I said, someone of that extreme intellect would probably have Asperger's.

She would've been best portrayed as a female Sheldon.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The alcoholic, drug addict with borderline personality disorder was definitely normal bros. And she was always well dressed. There weren't any episodes involving girls at her new school making fun of the way she dressed and being teased about how quiet she was. There definitely weren't any scenes involving feeling uncomfortable and out of place shopping for clothes at a department store with adoptomom which culminated in her asking if she could get a chess board instead. Nope. Normal top to bottom.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I knew a guy who codes CNCs who can’t code for shit unless he’s very baked. When he is he can rock it out.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
her character fucks a lot of beta nerds

posted in the SJW thread:

Men will complain and call a movie unrealistic because it shows the wrong model of a helicopter during a given point in the Vietnam War but women point out that a TV show depicting a woman competing in a predominantly male space without having to overcome huge hurdles regarding unwelcome threats and harassment is unrealistic and they're the crazy ones?

• 2Picard
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Men will complain and call a movie unrealistic because it shows the wrong model of a helicopter during a given point in the Vietnam War but women point out that a TV show depicting a woman competing in a predominantly male space without having to overcome huge hurdles regarding unwelcome threats and harassment is unrealistic and they're the crazy ones?
Boohoo women are victims.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I knew a guy who codes CNCs who can’t code for shit unless he’s very baked. When he is he can rock it out.
Yeah I find basically any depressant works better for coding, when the stereotype is the opposite. idk, different goals I guess.

• 1Like