The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

Caliane

a UHF reboot featuring youtube creators might be good. public access TV may not be a thing, but youtube is. I mean, if you ignore all the shitty attempts that have already be done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
a UHF reboot featuring youtube creators might be good. public access TV may not be a thing, but youtube is. I mean, if you ignore all the shitty attempts that have already be done.

The real problem is that Weird Al isn't pretending to be that guy, Weird Al actually is that guy. And he has somehow managed to navigate his entire life without becoming... well, shitty.

He's Henson-esque in his way. Kind of a unique talent. He may not be the most spectacular talent (he's no slouch, either). I don't know if anyone could do that movie except Al. The thing that makes the movie work is his lightheartedness and sensibility,

Plenty of people could do spoof movies, even an entire skit series like Al did with UHF. But there's either going to be some nastiness that creeps in or some banality.

• 5Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 5 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Holy fuck the end segment. Great episode.

The “why does mom drink so much” video absolutely needs to get hit in the future. Super sad it didn’t make it this time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty good line up. I think I need to agree with Mike about Turtle Dreams, it has to be poking fun at avant garde. That or Meredith Monk is a lunatic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Meredith Monk is a lunatic and that was probably the piece she wrote for her MFA.

That station information that they showed at the start of the tape is that old boston channel. That was a production of high modern art. It was also early 80's. That sort of thing was in style in academic music. She has company in Steve Reich (slightly earlier than her, and frankly better at it) and Phillip Glass. who pretty much also sucks.

The popularity of that minimalist choral style gave way to bloviated huge orchestral arrangements which are just as nonsensical. The point of it was attempting to find purely emotive phrasing. that was seen to be more creative. And to be fair it can be in the right hands. Two different ways to try to do that. neither of them work particularly well.

I wonder if she did the choreograpy for it. she might have.

You can hear very faint echoes of it being in style in some of the more out there of popular bands of the early 80's. If you listen to early talking heads there are little bits here and there... they were aware of stuff like this and had at least listened to some.

To be fair here, it's a lot harder to produce that nonsense than you might think it is. There's a lot of technique that goes into something like that. And raw memorization by performers. But it is, at the end of the performance, a piece written for music majors by a music major.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Meredith Monk is a lunatic and that was probably the piece she wrote for her MFA.

That station information that they showed at the start of the tape is that old boston channel. That was a production of high modern art. It was also early 80's. That sort of thing was in style in academic music. She has company in Steve Reich (slightly earlier than her, and frankly better at it) and Phillip Glass. who pretty much also sucks.

The popularity of that minimalist choral style gave way to bloviated huge orchestral arrangements which are just as nonsensical. The point of it was attempting to find purely emotive phrasing. that was seen to be more creative. And to be fair it can be in the right hands. Two different ways to try to do that. neither of them work particularly well.

You can hear very faint echoes of it being in style in some of the more out there of popular bands of the early 80's. If you listen to talking heads there are little bits here and there... they were aware of stuff like this and had at least listened to some.

giphy.gif

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Lol. I know man. It takes years to be able to take it seriously at all. It's esoteric. Very esoteric.

Josh is kinda right when he's trying to defend it, but also kinda not. Rich is basically right.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Mike actually looked legit upset Shatner made fun of him. Jay gives no fucks and laughed in his face. Mike needs to move on and forget Star Trek. Mike it was a TV show in the 60s. then a different show in the 90s. its over, dude. i accept that Star Wars is dead, i dont cry about it.

• 3Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Shatner is a special snowflake who blocks people over the smallest and stupidest things. Source; was blocked by him over something stupid. The only celebrity I can name that was worse about blocking was John Cusack, even George Takei was willing to put up with more shit than either of them.

iannis

Musty Nester
When your heroes turn out to be shitlords. lol.

I mean imagine... an actor taking a professional dislike of movie critic. Not that mike has -ever- said anything bad about Shatner. I just imagine Shatner is naturally predisposed to not like him in the first place.

• 3Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

You can hear very faint echoes of it being in style in some of the more out there of popular bands of the early 80's. If you listen to early talking heads there are little bits here and there... they were aware of stuff like this and had at least listened to some.

To be fair here, it's a lot harder to produce that nonsense than you might think it is. There's a lot of technique that goes into something like that. And raw memorization by performers. But it is, at the end of the performance, a piece written for music majors by a music major.
I found Turtle Dreams to be strangely hypnotic and found it hard to pull myself away from it.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Mike actually looked legit upset Shatner made fun of him. Jay gives no fucks and laughed in his face. Mike needs to move on and forget Star Trek. Mike it was a TV show in the 60s. then a different show in the 90s. its over, dude. i accept that Star Wars is dead, i dont cry about it.

1595531478635.png

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users