The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I get that they just threw together something because the weather was going to make filming impossible for a time but that was not a very good episode. Lots of junk clips edited in to pad it out and even if there was a meta quality to that decision it still wasn't interesting. Mock Star Wars text crawl, multiple shots of the Oscars and then a Yakkety Sax style edit of the film not doing anything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
catching up some on these. i shut off the review midway and threw on Kid Detective from sailing the high seas. was pretty damned good.
Gravel Gravel dude, i watched that ending three times, looking for the thing that sets off Mike. no fucking idea what he's talking about. maybe how abruptly it ends? maybe how his parents are acting proud of him now and it bums him into tears and then they show the title "The Kid Detective" and its a ironic or maybe even a sarcastic moment that he's still really just a fucking kid detective and the movie mocks him one last time? no idea.

Bloodshack/Chooper was one of their shittier reviews, which i think is why they prefaced it with that they didnt want to go into the studio so they just gave us something. i did appreciate the editing, but yeah, not their best.

-edit-
oh and special mention for The Kid Detective, that blonde girl was driving my convertible for the entire movie. i was like holy shit. my Le Baron is still loved by someone other than me. the last time i saw my car in a movie was The Final Destination and it was falling off a bridge onto someone's head.
AmusingCaringCanadagoose-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
dude, i watched that ending three times, looking for the thing that sets off Mike. no fucking idea what he's talking about. maybe how abruptly it ends? maybe how his parents are acting proud of him now and it bums him into tears and then they show the title "The Kid Detective" and its a ironic or maybe even a sarcastic moment that he's still really just a fucking kid detective and the movie mocks him one last time? no idea.

I also have no idea what they were talking about with how the ending was just so perfectly done. I went back and watched it and didn't get anything out of the ending at all. Really enjoyed the movie. I mean, I guess his parents finally respected him as a detective.. But beyond that? Or the relief of solving that lingering case? No idea.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I also have no idea what they were talking about with how the ending was just so perfectly done. I went back and watched it and didn't get anything out of the ending at all. Really enjoyed the movie. I mean, I guess his parents finally respected him as a detective.. But beyond that? Or the relief of solving that lingering case? No idea.
somebody in the comments opined that it was supposed to be ironic because all that he went through in the movie and how he finally breaks down, they picked that exact moment to flash the credits and end the film. is that brilliant? i dunno.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's a bad film but they seemed personally offended by it.
If you study films, filmmaking, there's a certain sensibility in the craft that strikes a nerve. Like if a literary expert reads someone trying to imitate Shakespeare, but writes with fecal matter in another language with bad grammar, the opposite of prose, and people are calling it "art". I mean, if you take it upon yourself to be an expert in shitty movies, and then you call a movie especially shit... Must be a duck.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's a bad film but they seemed personally offended by it.
they made it seem like they were offended by how lazy the movie was, but i think they were mostly unkind to Nic Cage. they made up this whole scenario about him without any kind of info or anything. Mike can be an asshole sometimes. or more than sometimes.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Its a trashy movie for fans of trashy movies. Its pretty stupid but I enioyed it. I in no way was looking for or expecting the next classic film. If you were that is on you. Go to a super hero movie and be surprised its full of super hero shit. Then be pissed off about it.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Its a trashy movie for fans of trashy movies. Its pretty stupid but I enioyed it. I in no way was looking for or expecting the next classic film. If you were that is on you. Go to a super hero movie and be surprised its full of super hero shit. Then be pissed off about it.
yeah, its nic fucking cage. what were you expecting? he won an oscar in 1995. but he's been making campy films for his entire career. yeah it was a shitty movie on a shitty cheap set. nobody cares.

• 1Like

Caliane

they made it seem like they were offended by how lazy the movie was, but i think they were mostly unkind to Nic Cage. they made up this whole scenario about him without any kind of info or anything. Mike can be an asshole sometimes. or more than sometimes.
Without seeing the movie. I do think they were off about Cage. They were essentially comparing Cage to Adam Sandler, and his lazy movies. or any of the other washed out hollywood drunks, who will do anything for a paycheck. Bruce willis, etc. guys who come and don't care, don't pay attention, etc, and mumble their way through.

But thats clearly not Cage. Cage is just a nutball. He does a billion low budge stuff, cause it lets him do crazy shit. Theres too many examples of him giving insane performances, or outright director/actor commentary, where he or they talk about how some insane thing was his idea, and the director ok'd it.
I guarantee the no talking was not the producers being cheap, and not wanting to pay Cage. or was it cage being lazy and now wanting to talk. it WAS Cage thinking it would be avant guard, or cool or some insane shit. And the director not being able to tell Cage, NO.

Like, Color of space. whos idea was it for Cage to act like that? 100% it was Cage.

The laziness in set design, etc, seemed on the mark, for the clips they showed.
When the evil tinkerbell first appeared in their vids. I stopped the vid and went back, because I was "is that just a person?" back and forth a few times. I decided that it was a animitronic head, jammed onto an actual womens body. holy shit thats some real body horror. then later they show the end scenes.. and talk about it themselves... oh, nope. shes supposed to be entirely animitronic. they were just lazy with the costume.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Without seeing the movie. I do think they were off about Cage. They were essentially comparing Cage to Adam Sandler, and his lazy movies. or any of the other washed out hollywood drunks, who will do anything for a paycheck. Bruce willis, etc. guys who come and don't care, don't pay attention, etc, and mumble their way through.

But thats clearly not Cage. Cage is just a nutball. He does a billion low budge stuff, cause it lets him do crazy shit. Theres too many examples of him giving insane performances, or outright director/actor commentary, where he or they talk about how some insane thing was his idea, and the director ok'd it.
I guarantee the no talking was not the producers being cheap, and not wanting to pay Cage. or was it cage being lazy and now wanting to talk. it WAS Cage thinking it would be avant guard, or cool or some insane shit. And the director not being able to tell Cage, NO.

Like, Color of space. whos idea was it for Cage to act like that? 100% it was Cage.

The laziness in set design, etc, seemed on the mark, for the clips they showed.
When the evil tinkerbell first appeared in their vids. I stopped the vid and went back, because I was "is that just a person?" back and forth a few times. I decided that it was a animitronic head, jammed onto an actual womens body. holy shit thats some real body horror. then later they show the end scenes.. and talk about it themselves... oh, nope. shes supposed to be entirely animitronic. they were just lazy with the costume.
sure, its just laziness or lack of budget. if the movie is fun. nobody cares about that stuff. it takes very little to entertain people, some get this idea that you have to spend a lot and make everything perfect to entertain. then you have a Kevin Smith funding an iconic film with his credit card based out of 2 locations a convenience store and a video rental joint. nothing says there needed to be good special effects in this film. all you needed was Nic cage bashing some guys in silly costumes. and thats what they delivered. last time it was Cage in a silly costume punching people.
187164b564581f794ab3ba45950b22e7.gif

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Nic Cage is setting to become the Cameron Mitchell of our generation and you would think, given their love of Cameron Mitchell's later filmography, that Mike would appreciate that more. **shurg**

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users