The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Fucking RLM. Now I want to go back and watch it.

I remember liking it when I was young, so much so that I tried reading the book. Could never get through it though as reading letters and shit was just super boring. Plus the book was incredibly long.
its 400 pages long. that seems about average for most novels. what is a chore is that its written in England english from the 1800s. so its got words we arent used to seeing in today's society. you gotta sort of wrap your brain around the era in which it was written. people had better education and put more effort in making sure their books were of the highest literary quality. before i read this i read the unabridged version of all the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. it was over 1000 pages and i had to keep a dictionary at hand to get the meaning of some words, took me months, but i got through all of them. this book was a walk in the park in comparison. i read this in a week or two. i didnt like the movie that much because they made Dracula look comical with that big butt haircut.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I should point out I'm not old as shit like you. I was probably 9 or 10 when I saw the movie, so not much older when I tried to read the book.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I should point out I'm not old as shit like you. I was probably 9 or 10 when I saw the movie, so not much older when I tried to read the book.
we are only ten years apart, i'm not putting you down, just explaining why you might have found the book laborious. old english books can be brutal if you arent used to it. i had a hell of a time working my way through Lovecraft and Dickens.

Sterling

El Presidente
I saw the movie again a few years back. It holds up well. Great atmosphere.
Atmosphere was definitely on point. It really could have been a great movie instead of just good with that better casting in those 2 roles.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I'm surprised they didn't bring up his movie that came out in the late 90s with the same title of his book:

Glad to see that Rich Evans is shedding some weight. Hopefully he'll be around for future episodes for the next handful of years.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Just Pretend that it happened.
That's one of the greatest '80s schlock Sci-Fi movies ever. I don't know how many times I watched it as a kid. It really is the same thing as Space Hunter from a nostalgia standpoint.

Space herpes...

• 1Solidarity

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think I've seen Space Hunter, but I've seen Ice Pirates dozens of times. Ice Pirates, Krull, and Beastmaster were like always part of any weekend rental from 1st Run Video or Blockbuster. Along with a couple random NES games. 80s childhood was probably best childhood.

It's really a great movie. Cheesy as shit but so, so good.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah the dick chopper machine is in this. i did watch this movie, but nothing else rings a bell. maybe i saw that part when i was flipping the channels and didnt watch the whole movie, or i rented it with a bunch of others one night when my friends stayed over. my local video store had a special on fridays. 10 movies for ten dollars for 3 days. i probably binged this with a bunch of others and then forgot it.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I can remember this sitting on shelves in VHS, in the good ole days. I never rented it. I'm older than Rich and Jay, so as Rich was saying he enjoyed it as a 5 year old, if I'd have rented it as a mid teenager. I'd probably have hated it.

Now if I was to watch it, I might enjoy the silly camp mess that it is, and enjoy it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I can remember this sitting on shelves in VHS, in the good ole days. I never rented it. I'm older than Rich and Jay, so as Rich was saying he enjoyed it as a 5 year old, if I'd have rented it as a mid teenager. I'd probably have hated it.

Now if I was to watch it, I might enjoy the silly camp mess that it is, and enjoy it.
ice pirates was 1984, i was 13 back then. if i rented or watched it on cable was probably late 80s. i hate when the RLM guys always try to stick modern day norms into these films fromn a different era. back then you could make ethnic or sexist jokes and nobody would get offended as long as it was in fun. which this was. these guys need to stop covering their asses with the woke police.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably explains why he was gone for a while there.

• 1Like