The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Event Horizon is so obviously about a ship entering the warp without a trained psyker and without the benefit of the Emperor's astral beacon it's goddamn distracting.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
"terrible premise" "I can't think of anything like this, other then hellraiser in space?"
what a strange thing to say. "opened portal to hell, when trying to create a teleporter" is extremely common in fiction... nevermind, "haunted ghost ship".

I'm pretty sure Startrek is the ONLY sci-fi story that DIDNT accidently into hell or some other similar dimension when creating warp or a teleporter.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Funny. I'm the person he was referring to who was creeped out by this as a kid, as I'm 4 years younger than Mike and saw this in the theater. This is one of my favorite movies. The cringy stuff to me is campy. And it's a bunch of tropes tossed together in a visual and thematic blender. I was big on space, sci fi, gore.

A lot of the cut material is "Baby Bear" going to the hell dimension, and the other black guy's haunting background. There were scenes setting up each person's haunting - dead wife, dead guy left behind in a fire, dead child, before they died.

The blowing his oxygen tank was also used in The Martian, "Like Ironman!" Sexual harassment man also gets a handful of boob when she comes out of the suspension tank. Teenager me wishes it had more nudity, sexual tones, but the fucked up, emaciated, nude and dead wife is sort of a horror trope (Thirteen Ghosts comes to mind).

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
"terrible premise" "I can't think of anything like this, other then hellraiser in space?"
what a strange thing to say. "opened portal to hell, when trying to create a teleporter" is extremely common in fiction... nevermind, "haunted ghost ship".

I'm pretty sure Startrek is the ONLY sci-fi story that DIDNT accidently into hell or some other similar dimension when creating warp or a teleporter.

You haven't watched the Animated Series, 😂 😂 😂

giphy (2).gif

Lucien.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

The specific combination of sci-fi and horror, specifically this kind of horror (demonic/hell shit) and not man vs environment, is not something done often or done well when it is done. Mike seems to believe that the two ideas aren't compatible but I don't agree, but hollywood fucking blows so we get Jason in Space instead of something that would approach real sci-fi horror.

fwiw, I liked Hellraiser 4 more than this back in the day when I was a kid, mostly because of the early stuff about the toymaker and the woman. but everything in space was awful and I was a kid with terrible taste so w/e.

• 4Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
jay.png

This entire review I can't stop looking at this discolored spot on Jay's mustache. It's like he got a little bloody coke bubble and just let it dry.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
it's from the brain aneurysm Mike caused when he went off on his Star Trek/warp tangent

• 3Like
  • 2Worf

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
As RLM goes on, I realize that I relate to Jay's taste far more than Mike's. Mike is a bit of a slave to "structure".

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
They both liked the VVitch. I don't trust either of them for movie or tv reviews.

I do find them hilarious and watch the shit of their content, especially BOTW.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The overall tone of the Re:View was odd. You think you like Mortal Kombat but you don't! It's terrible! That's just nostalgia! Jay brought it up a couple different times even and then they both transitioned to not understanding why people like Event Horizon. Maybe it's just nostalgia!

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
They both liked the VVitch. I don't trust either of them for movie or tv reviews.

I do find them hilarious and watch the shit of their content, especially BOTW.
Wait, you didn't like VVitch?

The overall tone of the Re:View was odd. You think you like Mortal Kombat but you don't! It's terrible! That's just nostalgia! Jay brought it up a couple different times even and then they both transitioned to not understanding why people like Event Horizon. Maybe it's just nostalgia!
Mortal Kombat was fundamentally terrible. But it was also full blown camp. Amazing theme track. Cheese at its roots. Event Horizon had a lot of good themes, actors.... But wasn't a video game movie.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Oh hell no. I didn't realize it was supposed to be a comedy or whatever and I just hated it. I knew the 'twist' within minutes just because how broadly and stupidly every single character was written. Once I guessed the end, slogging through the movie to get to it was painful.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Mortal Kombat was fundamentally terrible. But it was also full blown camp. Amazing theme track. Cheese at its roots. Event Horizon had a lot of good themes, actors.... But wasn't a video game movie.

Mortal Kombat exceeded expectations for a video game movie of its era.

• 5Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That's such a low bar, though. One of the worst movies that everyone has somehow seen.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
To this day, I remember that the end credits blasted Prodigy's 'Smack My Bitch Up', and the little old ladies walking by in the hallway being appalled by the lyrics as everyone left the theater.

As far as the movie goes, even at the time I thought it was relentlessly mediocre and cribbing off far better movies, though the helliverse stuff was at least interesting. (Note: Jay's opinion has always been better than Mike's.)

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Maybe it's reverse psychology advertising and they did get paid to review it.
Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
At this point in my life, I think I can admit that Event Horizon is not a good movie but it is one that I love because of what it could have been. I talked with my friends about it for hours and we came up with all sorts of cool ways it could have been even better or scarier, so I also think I love it because of the enjoyment it gave me outside of just the movie experience.

They are 100% wrong about Mortal Kombat, though. The SFX may not hold up, but goddammit that was a movie that I was super hyped about seeing when I was a teenager and it completely lived up to the hype.

• 4Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I love it. Got the blu ray. It influenced some of my very favorite games which is System Shock and Dead Space.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users