The Revenant (2015)

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Saw it yesterday. Yep, the bear scene is awesome. I was expecting a faster-paced movie, but it kinda dragged for much of it. As other have said, the bear fight and ending fight made the movie. The opening sequence wasn't too bad, either.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Just came back from it. I thought it was pretty ok, like 6.5/10. I felt like it was too long. All the scenes with the Chief guy could have been cut, he didn't matter at all. Tom Hardy again is doing weird accents, that guy just can't stop. Great footage etc, but the writing was pretty bad. Bear CGI sucked but I'm not sure if it could have been better. Could have replaced the indian boy with an autistic kid and it would have been exactly the same lol.
"Bear cgi sucked"

You sir, are insane

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zastlyn

Peasant
"Bear cgi sucked"

You sir, are insane
Lol maybe I'm jaded or someshit, but I thought it looked super fake. I think it's because the scenery shots were very realistic and obviously shot on scene. If you had that same bear cgi in a already heavily cgi'd scene it would have looked great, i think.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Lol maybe I'm jaded or someshit, but I thought it looked super fake. I think it's because the scenery shots were very realistic and obviously shot on scene. If you had that same bear cgi in a already heavily cgi'd scene it would have looked great, i think.
Unrealistic expectations honestly. The big hook for this movie was the realism they were aiming for. Making a primary draw extensively CGI, would have lessened it and brought stronger complaints than the option they took. We are at the point where someone will always complain about the scenery in some way or another.

You are exactly right about being too long. It still surprised me how well it was received in the modern market. Even with him clubbing the scenery over our heads, it was still breathtakingly beautiful.

Zastlyn

Peasant
Making a primary draw extensively CGI, would have lessened it and brought stronger complaints than the option they took. We are at the point where someone will always complain about the scenery in some way or another.

You are exactly right about being too long. It still surprised me how well it was received in the modern market. Even with him clubbing the scenery over our heads, it was still breathtakingly beautiful.
I 100% agree, I think it would have sucked if it had more CGI, I loved that it was very minimal CGI. IDK, maybe I could re-watch it. Maybe I was just in a bad mood that day lol.

Szlia

I think I agree and disagree with the most common criticism here. I agree that the film has a pacing problem, but for me it's not that it is too slow, it's that it is not slow enough. As it stands, the film is very beautiful, but there is not really a sense of almost mystical communion with the forces of nature, of a journey that becomes more than going from point A to point B. They try to add a little bit of that with the dream sequences, but it does not work so well. I guess I??rritu is not Malick (for better or worse).

Anyone saw Man In The Wilderness the 1971 movie based on the same story? It sounds like something Astro could have seen.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I can't believe how much critism this movie got here and the only way it makes sense to me is that all of you watched it in the theater. It's a long ass movie and I'd be sick of sitting in a theater that long for *anything*, but there's such a primal feeling this movie hits on that i don't know how it doesn't resonate with everyone.

I don't know how to put the thought into words and I'm sure that some cynical poet or writer has already said it better than I ever could, but I've always felt that living life is something that everyone does alone. Sometimes you do it in close proximity to others doing the same, but that's varying degrees of transitory. The Revenant shows that better than any movie I've seen before, and I think The Road might be the only one that comes close.

I've watched this movie 3 or 4 times in the last year and I'm not even close to being tired of it. If you've only ever seen this in the theater, give it another go in your living room.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Don't like the artsy dreamlike parts. The movie would've been better if all of it was bare bones. The same raw stuff you liked was what I dug about it.

Also hate the ending where Leo stares into the camera. So artsy, so deep, so cheesy. Minor nitpicks.

Otherwise a great movie.
LastSolidCod-size_restricted.gif

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Movie would have been much better with a different actor than Leo. It was a bad role for him, and I don't see how this is what he won an Oscar for.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
tSaBkriE7TpbjFoQUFXuikoz0dF.jpg

Title: The Revenant

Tagline: (n. One who has returned, as if from the dead.)

Genre: Western, Drama, Adventure

Director: Alejandro González Iñárritu

Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Domhnall Gleeson, Will Poulter, Forrest Goodluck, Paul Anderson, Kristoffer Joner, Joshua Burge, Duane Howard, Melaw Nakehk'o, Fabrice Adde, Arthur RedCloud, Christopher Rosamond, Robert Moloney, Lukas Haas, Brendan Fletcher, Tyson Wood, McCaleb Burnett, Vincent Leclerc, Stephane Legault, Emmanuel Bilodeau, Cole Vandale, Tom Guiry, Scott Olynek, Amelia Crow Show, Peter Strand Rumpel, Timothy Lyle, Kory Grim, Anthony Starlight, Jamie Medicine Crane, Veronica Marlowe, Clarence Hoof, Dion Little Child, Blake Wildcat, Paul Young Pine, Cody Big Tobacco, Dallas Young Pine, Chesley Wilson, Michael Fraser, Scott Duncan, Mariah Old Shoes, Grace Dove, Adrian Glynn McMorran, Isaiah Tootoosis, Alex Bisping, Chris Ippolito, Jeffrey Olynek, C. Adam Leigh, Kevin Corey, Daniel Rampanen, Javier Botet, Haysam Kadri, Jordan Crawford, David Rampanen, Brad Carter, Rootie J. Boyd, Dave Burchill, Ray Chase, Glenn Ennis, Charles Fathy, Mark Krysko, Stephen Richard Lofstrom, T. Michael Morris, Bruno Stephane, Jay Tavare, AJ Taylor, Michael Villar, Jay Cardinal Villeneuve, Del Zamora, Duff Zayonce

Release: 2015-12-25

Runtime: 157

Plot: In the 1820s, a frontiersman, Hugh Glass, sets out on a path of vengeance against those who left him for dead after a bear mauling.