The Revenant (2015)

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
thats what I mean, he ended up making a raft and floating down the river not falling in and floating down, he also didnt have his son killed and didnt kill the people that left him.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
That spoiler is true from what I've read, dude was a super badass.

After the bear attack, he smashed a rattlesnake to death with a rock and ate it, then crawled\walked\hobbled in the freezing snow for 250 miles to the village. Prior to that he had been hung up next to his friend, who was shot up with pine needles and burned alive.

Edit
Also, it probably didn't make a lot of sense to end the movie with him tracking down both men and not killing one because he was so pathetic and not killing the other because he joined the army

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I watched it too and found it kinda boring to be honest. Beautifully shot but just not enough there for a super interesting story.

Column_sl

shitlord
That bear scene was pretty fucking crazy, loved to see how they made it.

I thought the movie was good, it was a cinematographers wet dream pretty much

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Loved the nature shots and the display of overall rawness of that time. The badassery shown by DiCaprio was insane, you can tell he put a lot of soul into this. This will end up being a classic, no doubt.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
man how short does your attention span have to be to get bored during this? shit was good

Homsar

That spoiler is true from what I've read, dude was a super badass.

After the bear attack, he smashed a rattlesnake to death with a rock and ate it, then crawled\walked\hobbled in the freezing snow for 250 miles to the village. Prior to that he had been hung up next to his friend, who was shot up with pine needles and burned alive.

Edit
Also, it probably didn't make a lot of sense to end the movie with him tracking down both men and not killing one because he was so pathetic and not killing the other because he joined the army
Wasnt it because he was so young is why he didnt kill the one?
Still feel like all the changes to the story were dumb

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
...and it kicks the shit out of S(J)W Disney princess. This is up there with MMFR.
That's a bold statement right there. Fury Road was badass (Anything is better than Star Wars: Disney Princess so that isn't saying much).

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed the grit of the story. I did not enjoy the bullshit where hypothermia would have easily killed him. During that river scene all I could think of was how dead he was already. Still worth watching even if it was hollywooded up a bit. The bear scene was $$$$. That part alone was amazing.

SekaiX_sl

shitlord
I enjoyed the grit of the story. I did not enjoy the bullshit where hypothermia would have easily killed him. During that river scene all I could think of was how dead he was already. Still worth watching even if it was hollywooded up a bit. The bear scene was $$$$. That part alone was amazing.
Yea i'm still blown away by that bear scene. Fucken epic.

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Awesome movie, but 30 minutes too long. Why the fuck are they making movies so much longer these days??

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The best way I can describe this movie, "An Achievement". The bear attack was one of the most visceral and terrifying things I have ever seen in a movie. The visuals and the way the movie was shot was nothing short of striking.

But... that does not necessarily mean it would receive high ratings on an enjoyment factor. They missed the mark in not giving Glass (Leonardo) more dialogue. We simply do not get to know enough about him personally to make what happens to him and what he goes through all that meaningful. Sure, his family is murdered and he is out for revenge, but you have to make us care about the people first before you kill them in order for the revenge tale to have any impact. Dom Gleeson's captain character was very one dimensional. Tom Hardy was the best thing in the movie.

At the end of it all, it feels like it was too long, yet not enough really happened.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was glad the indian boy was killed and out of the film really quick. Ever since Assassins Creed III, cannot stand Indians.

Bear scene.
Director consulted w/ the director of Grizzly Man, another consultant who interviewed Bear attack survivors and watched over 100 clips of Bear attacks.

Leo was fighting w/ stuntmen in suits, so he wasn't just stabbing air.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
i felt like inarritu's obsession with the light for filming and huge departures from the true life events, created like an inverse fury road. all this amazing imagery and focus on communicating the rawness of the character through the environment left what is probably one of the most powerful stories of survival in the west, a bit of a dud.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Okay movie but good god did it drag. Literally 20 shots of just trees blowing in the wind and nothing else.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I thought it was good enough to recommend watching it but not good enough to praise or ever watch again.

Homsar

I actually thought Hardy did a better job also but thats because his character had more dialogue

Column_sl

shitlord
This movie got me hooked on Survival shows. Now I binge watch them all with the funniest of them by far being Dual Survival.

Survivor Man is the shit tho.

koljec_sl

shitlord
i felt like inarritu's obsession with the light for filming and huge departures from the true life events, created like an inverse fury road. all this amazing imagery and focus on communicating the rawness of the character through the environment left what is probably one of the most powerful stories of survival in the west, a bit of a dud.
I think putting cinematography before story left it a bit of a dud.

And in the story that remains, what was true and impressive (why would they leave out the bear skin back???) gets cut out for dramatic embellishments (the murder of the son). That's mistake number 2.

Hollywood has a compulsion to put cliche dramatic elements where they don't belong. In this movie it boxes out the awesome details of the guy's survival.