The RPG Thread

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean I guess it is an rpg. I played it on PS2, and while the slowdowns (and there were -tons-) were annoying, it was definitely more sidescroller than RPG in my opinion. What little I've read of the remaster tell me it's basically the same sans slowdowns and with a bit better graphical fidelity. Still makes it mostly a sidescroller with slight RPG elements, though.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I couldn't get into Odin Sphere. The remaster is one of the prettiest games I've ever seen, but it's really repetitive.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I know it fits more into the hack/slash or beat em up category, but did anyone play the Odin Sphere remaster? It got great reviews, but I'm still waiting to see it drop in price a bit ($80 in Canada).

I played the demo and decided it needed a heavy sale before I pull the trigger.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Definitely not a RPG, although it has RPG elements(leveling, items, that kind of shit). It's a beat em up/side scroller. In some ways similar to the old Castlevanias(the NES/SNES ones, not the DS metroid-like ones) or Ghost n Goblins. I really liked it, but yeah it's repetitive, like most games of this genre it has not too much content and is mostly extending it via replayability. In this case, you don't replay the exact same game with different characters, each of them has its own story and the levels change and stuff, but the regions are the same for all of them(so all of them go through a forest, a mountain, a lava level and so on and they all have the same mob types and bosses, but the final bosses have different movesets). Story is also polarizing, it's like fairy tale storytelling so it's not deep or "real", but I liked the various stories and how they fit in the overarching story. You sadly don't get to choose the order in which you play the characters and some have very meh playstyles.

I don't regret buying it personally, was well worth the price, it was iirc 40ish hours, and I really liked it, the gameplay was solid, the story was nice, the art is fucking crazy good, both music and graphics. But I wouldn't put it in this thread, other than there might be some overlap in the target audience.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for all the feedback. I know it didn't fit the thread well, but it really didn't need a thread of it's own either.

I've been trying to slug through Persona 4 Golden on my Vita for a while now. I can get through all the school and daytime stuff, but the dungeons just seem like a chore. I don't recall feeling this way back when I played Persona 3, maybe my tastes have changed a bit.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I'm finally getting around to playing Pillars of Eternity. Still early in the game, but if nothing else it's fun being able to play a low-level wizard in a Baldur's Gate clone and actually being able to do magic shit in combat, rather than carefully nursing the one magic missile you get per day.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I finished up a playthrough of Undertale. Alright game, it does some fun stuff, but the dialogue is so damn annoying. That Triceratops girl needs to die in a fire.

I did the neutral path since I crushed the first boss lady, but next time I think I'll just go full homicidal maniac and cleanse the whole cast. After checking out some of the spoilers for the true end, I could care less about being an insufferably nice guy.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Is there some sort of special reason they never ported that to the DS?

I'm absolutely amazed they haven't done it considering how that game was so popular.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The Japanese sequel to Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, is a must-play too... Pretty easy to find the fan-patched English version.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there some sort of special reason they never ported that to the DS?

I'm absolutely amazed they haven't done it considering how that game was so popular.

According to Wikipedia, only 1.8million units were sold worldwide. And that's with the market penetration of the SNES behind it. 1.5m were sold in Japan, while only 330,000 were sold total in other countries. It's incredibly popular with people who played it, and folks like us who congregate towards these types of games to begin with got our hands on it. But outside of Japan it just wasn't a massive seller, even if it was easily one of the most critically acclaimed games on the SNES. It's part of the reason why Seiken Densetsu 3 (would have been SoM's "sequel" as SoM was really SD2) didn't get an official release outside of Japan.

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
Seems like an odd choice to delay by two full months to add a day one patch to the retail disc, but it's already been so long that another 2 months doesn't really matter to me.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
So yeah, Tyranny...

I've known this game existed, but it was just never seriously on my radar. But with new footage coming out (even if it is just character creation) while I'm both playing Pillars of Eternity and reading one of the Black Company books, I'm super fucking on board with this one now. And seriously, after reading up more on the premise of the game, Tyranny is literally a hair's breadth away from being "The Black Company: the Game"

The Japanese sequel to Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, is a must-play too... Pretty easy to find the fan-patched English version.

I came to this thread in hopes I can find similar games to Secret of Mana and Siken Densetsu. Got any suggestions for PC? I was a fan of Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, etc... but I haven't found anything recent that plays similar to those games.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I came to this thread in hopes I can find similar games to Secret of Mana and Siken Densetsu. Got any suggestions for PC? I was a fan of Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, etc... but I haven't found anything recent that plays similar to those games.

I haven't played it, so take this with a grain of salt but from what I can see the Y's series plays like Secret of Mana (Open movement combat top down RPG, except for Y's 3 which is a side scroller). These are all on Steam right now.

Here is Y's origin. (Prequel to the whole series)

They ported over Y's 1/2 and updated them for steam.

(You can check out the original 87 version too on an EMU, it's got the same feel as SoM).But there are 4 Y's game on steam right now andI believe they are portion the rest (There are like 7 or 8 in total, Ys 1-6, and then origin.)

In any case, as I said, I haven't played the series...But from what I've heard it's generally a more difficult version of Secret of Mana (A lot more emphasis on positional attacks, and action difficulty, but generally the same kind of play).

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The first ys for Sega master system is super primitive and hard. You attack by walking into monsters and them into you. Just guess how that pans out. I've beaten it twice and you can get fucked at the end of the game if you save in a spot without a Health pot.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They don't really play exactly like SoM, but close enough, SoM was more slow paced and overall easier and shit, especially when you started cheesing with spells. Also SoM had multiplayer, which was pretty fun if you had friends. That said Ys are excelent games, at least the re-releases on Steam, they're challenging, offer a good amount of variety, cool bossfights and really good music. Story isn't really the strong point, at least the ones I played, but they're otherwise great. And they're on sale all the time for like 5bucks or whatever, while they take like 20-30hours to finish(not counting replays/achievements and shit which takes a while). Definitely recommend them, unless you don't like hard games, then maybe not cause I don't remember if there's an easy mode and they were definitely not mash A to victory type games.

• 1Solidarity