The Sad, sad, state of MMORPG in this brave new era...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The goal of a "learning mob boss" would be to fuck with the team/raid until a certain milestone is met, either in dmg, or checkpoints, then just to give up slowly. You definitely dont want a raid boss to just learn how to kill you, because it will learn it and do it with a quickness.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
So a boss that always goes for the healers and wipes you

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Man u must kiting all the raid bosses on your healer. That kind of talent is hard to find.

• 1Worf

prescient

Silver Knight of the Realm
Why does everyone think that end game has to be a "boss" in the traditional sense?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Has anyone ever gotten large scale PVE MMO battles right? Or even tried, really?

The closest thing I can think of are GW2's meta events in the HoT expansion. They take a sizable amount of coordination among ~100 players or so to achieve, and are actually quite fun (except for maybe Verdant Brink's)

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Rift had some pretty large scale events. Not sure how “right” they got them, but I played pretty hardcore and enjoyed it for 6 months to a year or so post launch.

mtnhmr

Trakanon Raider
I don't know why MMO's don't just hire asians to control certain mobs and provide AI.

Let players spawn as random NPCs or even, random boss mobs (with set abilities etc.). Would be hilarious!

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Project M was the shit for the short period that it lasted

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Rift had some pretty large scale events. Not sure how “right” they got them, but I played pretty hardcore and enjoyed it for 6 months to a year or so post launch.

Yeah, except it would only render like 30 things at once, and sometimes not the boss at all ;)

• 1Worf

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
What makes me sad is that a lot of what we got in the late 90's (UO, EQ, etc.) was an envisioning of table-top or text-based RPG's. Sure there were/are some influences such as Diablo, Tolkkein, maybe Zelda and FF but ultimately, the people making that stuff back then were shaped by a different world and so was their audience. When I read the op's list, most of those peeps have no idea what it was like playing a decade plus worth of table top games and the only PC adventure game you had exposure to was Quest for Glory, Zork, etc.

Going from that world to EQ is much different than going from EQ (and now probably WoW) to the new MMO's coming in the next year or two. Two entirely different source materials to spring board from. Not to mention, they are forced to make games for an audience that expect a much different pace and risk/reward ideology.

Our best hope is that someone accidentally finds the new equation that works or some old guys get together and bring some old school and just the right amount of new school together.

It's a sad state but there are possibilities. A New World and Ashes of Creation spark my curiosity and so does Pantheon and whatever Daybreak is cooking up with the EQ IP in their possession. (No matter what, if it says EQ, I have to give it at least a glance.)

I just hate everything seems to be taking so much time.... I've been living off expansions for a few years now and it's about time for "something" to happen.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's the numbers that matter in a lot of situations. Also a lot of dev time is wasted in interface development, or working on a fresh engine. Then spread that across a dozen classes, talent builds, etc, etc, vs a single player game where they can barely get one class right, let alone 34, and then balance them. On top of making the combat actually fun, engaging, and not something I need to bot in order to succeed at. It needs to be simple, while also incredibly deep. Which is why folks are still fucking around with EQ and vanilla WOW. Add simple things that exist today like better graphics, a clean interface, and a reward structure that isn't as convoluted and fucked up as a mobile game.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
MMORPGs need to stop being so "massive." In 1999, there were three games on the market. In 2018, there are three thousand. Producers need to be more realistic about the market share they can potentially obtain and need to work on crafting games that cater to a smaller, more loyal group of players instead of games that try to rope everybody and their sister in. It seems like some of the upcoming indie MMORPGs are trying to do this, but I'm not exactly sure they understand that it takes more than buzzwords and empty promises to acquire that loyal playerbase.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The multi-player platform is so disperse it's hard to hold enough people to garnish matchmaking for pvp unless they harvest the majority of the current market, let alone a pve mmo market. Most of us are happy with our solo adventure games. It would take something as significant as WOW to come around again to create any simblance of that experience again. Which, at a great loss to the potential of a lot of solo player game experiences, is what developers are unfortunately building towards. With a new game that releases every six months. Like your Call of Duty, or Battle Royale spinoffs, on top of the mobile play style mmo format games that have been releasing hand over fist since WOW.

That said, let's reign it back and give us games worth spending time in and on as a singular player before trying to build bullshit on top of that.

Last edited:

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
A New World and Ashes of Creation spark my curiosity
To bring back the original post, A New World is - at last - a first western MMO that is NOT a crowdfunded shit.

Unfortunately, both ANW and Ashes seem to be very PvP-oriented. While this is good for some, it's now an instant "shelve it to uninteresting game" for me.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
MMORPGs need to stop being so "massive."
Do they?

I'd argue that, with less massive worlds, you get more and more instancing/phasing/mega-servering that basically destroys community, since every player is irrelevant to your playing experience except the ones that the game randomly associated with you when you clicked on "join queue" from your game lobby (Boralus).

My fervent wish for a truly MMO would be a real massive MMO: Half a million players in a single non-instanced world served by a next-gen procedural generation. You do need to embrace the end of ultra-curated experiences, allow for imbalanced content, the end of the "you are the savior of the world (like everyone else)" questline on-rail content.

• 2Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To bring back the original post, A New World is - at last - a first western MMO that is NOT a crowdfunded shit.

Unfortunately, both ANW and Ashes seem to be very PvP-oriented. While this is good for some, it's now an instant "shelve it to uninteresting game" for me.

PvP focus = no need for PVE content, your customers are also your content. I think this is the main reason why so many MMORPG lately have been PvP focused. Everything these days needs a battle royale modus just because.

• 2Solidarity

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
In all fairness to PvP, I don't think we have seen a game yet go "all in" with a PvP game. Also, they either didn't deliver a finished product or they constantly changed their game in attempt to appease typically the wrong groups of people.

I think it can be done and be something that could be enjoyable to everyone but I believe others are right... the moment it becomes a proclaimed PvP centric experience, many will just look on to something else.