The Sad, sad, state of MMORPG in this brave new era...

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You still find that in the Discord for secret hunting in WoW. But they'll never hide game-important info ever again, I think.

I think the ghost was a bug initially. Because the fucker literally said something along the lines of, "show me your mastery." Without any clue of what the fuck that may have meant. There weren't any other clues to it and the only thing people knew had to be turned in was the book item. But since JUST the book got a null response it had to be something else in addition.

Rightfully. Most Monks wouldn't consider turning in their ROTWF on a guess where the dude would just eat your items.

Wynn

Golden Knight of the Realm
An EQ Dev awhile back debunked the "thousands of unsolved quests" thing. I think the original comment was a person at SOE/Daybreak who said something out of school, an actual Dev dug into it and basically admitted it was bullshit. What I do think is true is that a huge amount of items were marked "Lore" at one time that were never found to be involved in any known quest. There was an assumption that items marked lore (and I mean just random inventory items, not worn armor/weapons) probably had some purpose in a quest. Later on they introduced the "Quest" tag to items, and a huge number of those old lore items that no one could ever find a quest for? They didn't get the quest tag--because they weren't part of a quest. A lot of those items may have been intended for some future quest that was never implemented, or something of that nature, but many of them were just junk/vendor loot.

What the same Dev did get into after debunking the "thousands of unsolved quests" thing, was to talk about the Kunark Archaeologist quests. All of those quests were basically partially implemented quests that were never completed because the devs back when Kunark released basically just didn't finish them but left stubs of them around for people to theorize about for years. I guess initially the devs thought they could easily take what they have and just fix/complete the quests. They ended up completing the quests, but it also ended up being way more work than they expected and those quests ended up being much further away from "almost complete" than was first assumed.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah. Much like WOW. EQ was its own perfect storm. No competition, punishing. But also mysterious. This is the part that I miss the most in the modern gaming era. EQ had it's own huge fog of knowledge. Shit wasn't instantly datamined. If you weren't in the uber guilds discussing intricate portions of the game on private forums or hoarding knowledge it was limited to just what you could figure out.

I absolutely loved the EQMAPS site back in the day. Without even having a basic map system, you would go see this compiled list of all the zones mapped out by hand. In extreme detail and different styles. Some real artsy some more pragmatic. But even then they weren't perfect. You really had to ask around and wonder what was beyond the horizon. How will this possibly bugged quest work out? I read a few years ago that EQ had something like 7000 quests that players never even discovered. Which is fucking hilarious.

The initial discussions of the Monk Epic on Monkly Business is probably some of the most hilarious gaming discussion I have ever read. To this very day. 100+ people rampantly discussing what the vague ass ghost in Overthere actually wanted. God damn.

Obviously that is never, ever coming back since we have huge datamines right from the Alpha builds. Into youtube channels covering every portion of it you could possibly want. Before we even get to the in game conveniences

Not that these are bad things. I don't got no time to waste no more much like a lot of you. Still miss that portion of the game the most. Or of games in general I guess.

I miss the shit out of figuring strategies out on our own (during vanilla WOW), and being pioneers into encounters. At most, you might barely know what abilities a boss will have. It was like you had secret information that only the top 1-3 guilds on your server would know, and you had the next 15 guilds whispering you for help, so their shit guild could get past Garr. Granted back then, strategies consisted mostly of positioning. Now you have the full Youtube strat video up before the boss even goes live. The availability of strats has caused a massive increase in the complexity of raid encounters. For better or worse...

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The problem is you can't be bleeding edge anymore without it literally being your job. The top guilds aren't looking at youtube for world first strategies. That is still kept tightly under wraps until a kill is made. But by the time us plebs get there a hundred kill video strats have been posted.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I miss the shit out of figuring strategies out on our own (during vanilla WOW), and being pioneers into encounters. At most, you might barely know what abilities a boss will have. It was like you had secret information that only the two 1-3 guilds on your server would know, and you had the next 15 guilds whispering you for help, so their shit guild could get past Garr. Granted back then, strategies consisted mostly of positioning. Now you have the full Youtube strat video up before the boss even goes live. The availability of strats has caused a massive increase in the complexity of raid encounters. For better or worse...
I haven't seen a mythic raid boss guide go up before he has been downed for at least a day in ages.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I miss the shit out of figuring strategies out on our own (during vanilla WOW), and being pioneers into encounters. At most, you might barely know what abilities a boss will have. It was like you had secret information that only the top 1-3 guilds on your server would know, and you had the next 15 guilds whispering you for help, so their shit guild could get past Garr. Granted back then, strategies consisted mostly of positioning. Now you have the full Youtube strat video up before the boss even goes live. The availability of strats has caused a massive increase in the complexity of raid encounters. For better or worse...
I miss Garr, my guild had no warlocks so I'd end up tanking one of the golems as a full resto druid in bear form.

I've been super casually playing TAKP and it's nice leveling up and camping items/quests that are going to be useful later where I think about playing a Wow emu but I can't see myself leveling to max without getting bored cause there is literally nothing to look forward too except bear ass quests for blue items that ill replace in 6 levels.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
I'm never again playing a PvP based MMO where one class focuses on stealth ambush w/ crowd control built in of course!

Will Vanilla WoW have the old rogue in it? :p About 17 minutes in is what I remember happening with my Warlock before they introduced Death Coil.

You're right. My brother had a rogue and raided with us hardcore in DE on Cenarius during Vanilla. He was the first person to loot Deaths sting on the server and completely decked the fuck out in shit most people on that server wouldn't see till later patches unless you were in Afterlife. He was that rogue in the video but double the dmg. He sold the rogue to go back to school full time for 6k. Back then holding big dick items was fun as hell.

Edit: Offhand was Blessed Qiraji Pugio

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I miss Garr, my guild had no warlocks so I'd end up tanking one of the golems as a full resto druid in bear form.

I've been super casually playing TAKP and it's nice leveling up and camping items/quests that are going to be useful later where I think about playing a Wow emu but I can't see myself leveling to max without getting bored cause there is literally nothing to look forward too except bear ass quests for blue items that ill replace in 6 levels.

One of our resto druids had stacked alt agility gear that was getting burned from our lack of Rogues, and he was used as be the first tank on Vael, 2nd boss in BWL where he blows up tank after tank. If you did it right, and got the mace off the green dragons, #1 guild on our server had a guy who had a twinked out kitty with like 80% crit just fucking raping in pvp. Before they nurfed the shit out of pure 1% upgrades.

We were bleeding warlocks out of our ears, so Garr was easy, especially after the addon that auto marked them (hell, marking wasn't even in the first half of vanilla).

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I never got a clean answer for whether they ever intended to finish the Dwarf Paladin Holy Sword questline, to remagnetize the Holy Partisan. Took it for a "no, and we never intended to" after a later patch randomly adjusted new character reps such that no new character afterward actually met the faction requirements to get the quest giver to work with them.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
There is no mystery in games anymore. By the time people see something on their own, they've watched a dozen youtube videos and read every strategy on the fucking internet for how to beat something, down to maps of where to move, and when. Part of what made EQ so much fun back then was the sense of exploration and danger.. like dying will fuck you up.. I hate to sound like "Get off my lawn" guy, but there just isn't any sense of wonder/adventure in MMOs anymore.

Anyone remember Furor dropping mod rods in a box, and telling casters to stand in the fucking box so they don't die? Yeah.. like that.. but.. different.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
The amount of ink used to print off dozens of EQ maps back in the day, oooof

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
The new age of MMO will be located in a parallel universe.

We will be running around with our phones(or stupid looking camera goggles) as a looking glass to see 3d models in meatspace.

We will see avatars of our characters superimposed over our bodies when logged in on our mobile devices.

Games will direct our movements in RL just like Foursquare and PokemonGO attempted to do. All in the name of gamification.

This is the future of the genre.

• 1Repost
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

kudos

<Banned>
I thought the whole point of the LORE tag on items was so that you couldn't dual wield them. Also, from a roleplayer perspective it was a one of a kind type item.

Though now that I think about it they had the OFFHAND and PRIMARY tags on weapons too, so I don't know. Maybe it was just a thing against farming since you could only have one of them on you.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Any game that stands a chance of capturing some of that old magic is going to have to be super indie. Anyone with a non-super-indie budget is just going to be too risk averse. Even the kickstarter projects are trying to go too big and too shiny for their own good. I think the only way forward is with a tiny team with tiny production values and tiny ambition who can still manage to release something that people will actually pay for. (If the ambition scales out of proportion to the paying audience, you get games that drag on until they finally run out of money and launch unfinished... so almost every mmo ever.)

I've run an EQemu for a couple of years now, so I know there are definitely people willing to play a game with oldschool EQ's production values. Some even offer to donate (though I've never accepted any), so people are even willing to pay to do so. Whether enough people would pay to play an oldschool EQ that wasn't EQ is the question though.

So: Would you pay to play a game on-par with vanilla EQ? And more specifically, what's the smallest slice of mmo (considering production quality, features, and content) that you'd pay to play today if you knew that your payment was directly funding further development on the game?
I'd pay out the ass to see Conan taken another 60% further down the development cycle with a heavy focus on player-built settlements, governments, etc.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
The new age of MMO will be located in a parallel universe.

We will be running around with our phones(or stupid looking camera goggles) as a looking glass to see 3d models in meatspace.

We will see avatars of our characters superimposed over our bodies when logged in on our mobile devices.

Games will direct our movements in RL just like Foursquare and PokemonGO attempted to do. All in the name of gamification.

This is the future of the genre.

Nobody really cares about augmented reality, sorry bud

• 5Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
All except for the well-financed yet creatively bankrupt hucksters who're in a position to exploit this latest gimmick, while tyen tyen the dumb dog can only lick his jowls in anticipation of their table scraps.

• 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I thought the whole point of the LORE tag on items was so that you couldn't dual wield them. Also, from a roleplayer perspective it was a one of a kind type item.

Though now that I think about it they had the OFFHAND and PRIMARY tags on weapons too, so I don't know. Maybe it was just a thing against farming since you could only have one of them on you.

Offhand and Primary were a way of limiting damage output as the calcs for primary and offhand damage were very different.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Figuring the math out on DW and DA on the monk boards was fun in vanilla. They kept that up for a few xpacs until things got capped for a long while.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
A lot of the mysteries in eq1 were due to things partially implemented or broken. Like the ranger epic weapon where somebody figured out you had to randomly tell some dude I AM THE MASTER FORREST. It was supposed to be master forester but whoever did the quest flubbed what they typed. Stuff like that is why I never put much faith in their quests nobody found stuff. If they did not figure them out it was more likely they were just hopelessly broken or flubbed in some way.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
A lot of the mysteries in eq1 were due to things partially implemented or broken. Like the ranger epic weapon where somebody figured out you had to randomly tell some dude I AM THE MASTER FORREST. It was supposed to be master forester but whoever did the quest flubbed what they typed. Stuff like that is why I never put much faith in their quests nobody found stuff. If they did not figure them out it was more likely they were just hopelessly broken or flubbed in some way.

• 1Like