The Saga Of Lucimia- Group Based MMO.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
If the standard PVE content is designed for 8 man groups, then that has epic fail written all over it. Having an EQ1-like group oriented design is fine but make the group size requirements something more reasonable like 4-5 players. Forming groups was one of the biggest PITAs in EQ1 so making it even harder to form a group in a niche MMO is not a smart idea.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
If the standard PVE content is designed for 8 man groups, then that has epic fail written all over it. Having an EQ1-like group oriented design is fine but make the group size requirements something more reasonable like 4-5 players. Forming groups was one of the biggest PITAs in EQ1 so making it even harder to form a group in a niche MMO is not a smart idea.
Agreed. However, that problem could be easily rectified by making all classes useful in groups (or removing classes altogether). The PITA in EQ was only six of the classes were really useful in an exp group setting.

RJ77_sl

shitlord
There's a big thread about it on mmorpg.comhttp://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/...p-based-mmorpg. That Tim Anderson guy posts a lot in the thread. They said that they want the dungeons to take somewhere around 4 - 6 weeks of real time to complete. They plan on implementing a caravan type of system that would allow people to catch up if they missed some time in the dungeon.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
4-6 weeks to clear a dungeon? That's a lot of treash. I can get behind the idea of 8 man groups if content is designed for 3-4 people. It'd be similar to EQ's can bring as many retards as you want to raid, but it can all be done with 35 non-idiots.

RJ77_sl

shitlord
TW still telling people to fuck off in that thread?
I haven't seen some of the latest updates but I wouldn't be surprised lol.

4-6 weeks to clear a dungeon? That's a lot of treash. I can get behind the idea of 8 man groups if content is designed for 3-4 people. It'd be similar to EQ's can bring as many retards as you want to raid, but it can all be done with 35 non-idiots.
This is one of Tim's quotes from that thread:

Yes. Most of the game dungeons will require you to spend several months to complete, and all of them feature multiple wings that cannot be completed without mechanical thieves, archeologists, scholars, crafters, and beyond.

If you plan on going in with your min/max group of pure DPS builds and blasting your way through trying to mimic a 10 minute hard mode, you'll quickly find yourself flat on your ass. And you'll flat-out find yourself coming up against brick walls that you can't progress beyond until you have the proper group makeup to overcome puzzles and sections of the dungeon designed for specific skill sets.

Dungeons are roughly designed for 25% adventuring, 25% mechanical, 25% magical, and the other will be some suprises related to factions, crafting, and the like. Lack any one of those and you'll only ever see a portion of the zone. For progression, that means being unable to progress unless you have the proper skills within the party.

Cathex_sl

shitlord
Yes. Most of the game dungeons will require you to spend several months to complete, and all of them feature multiple wings that cannot be completed without mechanical thieves, archeologists, scholars, crafters, and beyond.

If you plan on going in with your min/max group of pure DPS builds and blasting your way through trying to mimic a 10 minute hard mode, you'll quickly find yourself flat on your ass. And you'll flat-out find yourself coming up against brick walls that you can't progress beyond until you have the proper group makeup to overcome puzzles and sections of the dungeon designed for specific skill sets.

Dungeons are roughly designed for 25% adventuring, 25% mechanical, 25% magical, and the other will be some suprises related to factions, crafting, and the like. Lack any one of those and you'll only ever see a portion of the zone. For progression, that means being unable to progress unless you have the proper skills within the party.
Yeah, good luck with that. Convoluted much?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I haven't seen some of the latest updates but I wouldn't be surprised lol.

This is one of Tim's quotes from that thread:
Yah sure. Which means a guild will clear that shit in a couple hours. I swear these fucking devs always come out with these stupid timetables of how long it will take to complete their stuff and as always the players always find a way.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
1. They'll never be able to accomplish what they dream of.

2. Nobody would want to play it if they did.

There's wanting an old school MMO and there's pure fucking lunacy.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Can you imagine how long it would take to build a dungeon that takes players months to complete? As intriguing as that sounds, don't think that is at all possible with a shoe string budget. If anyone here played Pillars of Eternity, Caed Nua was like 15 levels deep, getting progressively harder as you went further down. Was actually an awesome dungeon. Something like that in a MMO would probably be really cool. But even that dungeon took me just a little over 10 days to complete (not in a row either) and there were no respawns so you could come back and pick up where you left off.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Yah sure. Which means a guild will clear that shit in a couple hours. I swear these fucking devs always come out with these stupid timetables of how long it will take to complete their stuff and as always the players always find a way.
True that, but what they say they are making sounds interesting to me... if it ever ships .

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Look, if they consider downsizing their expectations, I'll give this game a try.

Reduce group sizes from 8 to 4-6.

Reduce raid sizes from 32 to 12-18.

As many others have said, trying to build an MMORPG on a shoestring budget is retarded. Hell, trying to build an MMORPG on a normal AAA budget is retarded. I can count on one hand the number of companies who have actually had the money to make a quality MMO in the history of all MMOs.

If these guys build a game meant forhundredsof players instead ofthousands, it could turn out to be a decent game.

Also I really hope "Saga of Lucimia" is only a working title.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
If their dungeons are designed to take months to clear, and require 8 people, I'd classify them more as small raids than a dungeon. 10 man raids in WoW took the average player 1+ months to clear, so it's not like it's an unheard of concept. The only thing different is their labeling.

Sadly, these days, I can't be bothered to get into a game that requires coordinating with 4+ people to get things done, so it's probably not for me.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Their dungeons will be essentially LF TV Repair Man, level 32 to complete level 22 dungeon level PST. That's why it takes 8 months to complete. You either have to roll alts for the specific jobs or you have to wait around hours to find the right person to open up the next door.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Their dungeons will be essentially LF TV Repair Man, level 32 to complete level 22 dungeon level PST. That's why it takes 8 months to complete. You either have to roll alts for the specific jobs or you have to wait around hours to find the right person to open up the next door.
I agree. I'd be pissed off as hell if you got to a certain point in a dungeon and were unable to continue until someone in your group spends several weeks to level up the necessary skill, or you had to wait until someone with said skill logged on and actually wanted to do that dungeon.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

This is my first visit to this thread, and my last.