The Sandman

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
This bonus cat shit is absurd lol? 👎

There is more to the cat thing than you realize. I am pretty pleased they are staying pretty close the source material, but doing so however, non-readers will not understand or miss somethings until (or if) they do the entire series.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I finished the first four and so far it's held my interest. The "fight" with Lucifer was bizarre and reminded me of some dumb shit I'd do with my friends at recess in second grade. "Yeah well I'm Superman and I just used my super speed to fly right through your brain so I win!" Eh...

By far the weirdest thing for me was when the woman was driving John to where his ruby was and the camera flashed to her GPS. The destination pin was sitting exactly on my old neighborhood in South Jersey. For a split second I thought this must be some new fangled technology that read your location and overlaid it onto the GPS. Of course I then realized I haven't lived there for eight years, but it was still a little freaky.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'm only 6 or so episodes in, and loved all of them *except* that diner one. Just did not enjoy it. The live forever guy episode is my favorite one so far, he really nailed the part and his positivity is infectious lol

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I was enjoying 5 up until the realization that the diner was actually a clown car packed with gays for...reasons? My wife and I stayed a few nights in Provincetown on Cape Cod (big homo hotspot for those unfamiliar) right smack in the middle of pride month and it was virtually a beacon of heterosexuality in comparison.

Really enjoyed the episode with the immortal dude. The next one was a bit of a snoozer (lots of setup I guess) but I'm still hanging in there.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Episode 6 was boring.
Episode 7 was episode 1 of season 2 or something. Who the fuck are any of these people and why should I give a flying fuck about them? Oh she is a thing that can do the thing. So? World lived without Dream for 100 years and everything was fine, I'm sure this will just blow over as well. Am I the only person that fucking hates musical numbers? I fucking hate them. Why is every white male a closeted gay, gay, or a villain?

This show sucks, it had potential to be something interesting but just didn't.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
6 and 7 were rough, and I never read the comics, but didn't they say in an earlier episode that millions never woke up from sleep and ultimately died while Dream was imprisoned? The great grandmother lady claimed she was the only "survivor".

And yeah, I was about to throw something at my TV when drag show part 2 kicked off but then I was like, oh okay.

Last edited:

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
6 and 7 were rough, and I never read the comics, but didn't they say in an earlier episode that millions never woke up from sleep and ultimately died while Dream was imprisoned? The great grandmother lady claimed she was the only "survivor".

Yes, and it was based on a real occurrence

Encephalitis lethargica - Wikipedia

And I have to imagine, if anyone is watching this show and doesn't like episode 6, they can probably just cut their losses and check on out. It is the favorite episode of nearly everyone I've talked to regarding this series, maybe second best at worst.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Whoops, I was one off...7 and 8 are where it shifts plotlines to the vortex stuff. Yeah 6 was good.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes, and it was based on a real occurrence

Encephalitis lethargica - Wikipedia

And I have to imagine, if anyone is watching this show and doesn't like episode 6, they can probably just cut their losses and check on out. It is the favorite episode of nearly everyone I've talked to regarding this series, maybe second best at worst.
1662131609419.png

lol today we just call that doomscrolling.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I really tried to give this a chance since I loved the graphic novel.
But christ, man... every couple is either gay, or the man is a cuck.
And trans-genders everywhere. Fuck this show, I'm done.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Its the same as Lucifer. Poorly miscast. Lucifer is charismatic. Brienne of Tarth is not exactly the Queen of Charisma. That role juat wasnt for her.

Finally got around to watching this and this stood out to me the most. They were clearly going to Tilda Swinton Gabriel vibes but Tilda is an amazing actress and acted the shit out of that part. Brienne is very wooden which worked for her in GoT but not well here. Considering how well the others were cast, in particular Dream, it made it standout even more.

Overall I liked it, the diner was a bit ridiculous, the cook banging the waitresses son kinda works cause hiding their relationship by him fake dating the mom made some sense. The mom was always trying to hook up the lesbian with a man so she had bias against gays and her son knew it so he hid it from her. I'm not really sure how much of that was real or the result of John fucking with everyone's head.

The 6th episode was my favorite, I liked Death, but Hob was of course the standout.

I'd watch the second season of this I think, it scratches that "weird" tv show itch that I havent really seen much of since Legion.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Tilda would have been absolutely great as Lucifer. I've always felt a proper Lucifer needed to be androgenous and Tilda can totally do it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

The Hobb episode was my favorite by far. I love how you keep waiting for him to get tired of it, but he’s loving it. Even the low point in the 1600s.

The parts with Death in that episode were great as well - acting as their friend and trying to distance them from the pain of those left behind. The scene with the baby was rough - literally every new parents nightmare

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I started this last night and ended up watching the first 4 episodes. I really enjoyed it, I thought the visuals were great, and the casting for Dream is spot on.

Since I've read the original, I've always loved the battle between Dream and the demon(in the tv show vs Lucifer). I love the "I am hope" statement, and the conversation about the power of dreams in Hell. So I am glad that they kept mostly unchanged.

I wonder if the series will affect the comic book value. I still have those. :)

I'm looking forward to the rest.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Hobb episode was my favorite by far. I love how you keep waiting for him to get tired of it, but he’s loving it. Even the low point in the 1600s.

The parts with Death in that episode were great as well - acting as their friend and trying to distance them from the pain of those left behind. The scene with the baby was rough - literally every new parents nightmare
They actually did not do that scene justice. In the graphic novel you see the mother look at the baby and then collapse to the floor after exclaiming " No"...

I guess they did not want the scene to be to strong.

Juvarisx

Florida
They actually did not do that scene justice. In the graphic novel you see the mother look at the baby and then collapse to the floor after exclaiming " No"...

I guess they did not want the scene to be to strong.

That entire sequence from reaping the old man to the dude in the park was very melancholy, I think not showing the loved ones reactions made it focus on pov of the deceased rather then the loved ones left behind. I am fine not seeing a crying / hysterical mothers reaction to the death of the baby, it wasn't the point. What I really liked though was the baby was still able to communicate with Death even though it wasn't through traditional language, made her feel as otherworldly as she should be.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I finished up the rest of the show. Episode 7 and onward made it feel like a different show, or at the very least, like it was an Anthology show

1-5 was one arc
6 was sort of like a bridge episode, but ultimately stand alone
7-10 was another arc
11 was really anthology like since it was 2 short, self-contained stories. I did like the Muse episode, though, and the cat episode proves cats would murder all humans if they could lol

Episode 7 is really jarring because of the tonal and character shifts. It veers off into weird territory, like Preacher would. Serial Killer convention, bed&breakfast filled with the quirkiest people on Earth, etc. Towards the end of the arc I was liking it a bit better, but it felt less cohesive than the initial story arc.