The Sandman

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
In a podcast I heard with Gaiman he pretty much said that they looked at each character when they first appear in the comics... and they ask questions like "is there a reason this character should be this gender? is there a reason this character has to be this race? Is there a reason this character has to be tall? Is there a reason this character has to be frail?"

things like that, and they reduced the minimum requirements of the actual casting calls such that they would obviously still try out people that were closer to the comics version but they would also try out others if they felt it wasn't too important or relevant.

He also claimed that the main character was picked in the very first email they got with 4 videos of try outs and then they had to do like 1500 more... and death was the opposite... they only found her much, much later on after hundreds and hundreds try outs.
Mostly because of covid they got a lot more time to try out a lot more people.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
I enjoyed the series and plan on buying all the graphic novels. The "wokeness" was unnecessary ... but I didn't lose any sleep over it.

I rated it overall very high.

• 2Like

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
This stuff isn't meant for us it's for the kids and as far as they know, depending on their schooling, this is normal and simply confirms the worldview they've been taught. It's how this stuff always goes down; the prior generation assumes that the current state of affairs more or less mirrors what they experienced in their youth. They fail to pay enough attention until one day everything seems to have gone crazy around them.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Cereal Convention was great btw. They really did a fantastic job with The Corinthian

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I wouldn't have even minded black death - the girl herself was fine, still relatively cute.

But the show is just so entirely thorough with replacing literally every character with someone off-white and/or gay.

Diner dream orgy? Asian lady with a black husband. Gay couple. Waitress likes the cook, but oh wait he's secretly gay and fucking her son.

Dream vortex? Black

Librarian? Black

Constantine? White, but a woman and also gay.

Death? Black. Everyone death reaps? Black or a jew

Even the fucking Corinthian is gay.

They went so far as the entire backdrop of the various ages of England where Dream meets the immortal is littered with random black dudes either drinking or working at the tavern over the years. It's so ridiculous that it entirely ruins the immortals story when he eventually becomes a slaver - how in the fuck did slaving even happen when 30% of the population of England since 900AD or whatever was already black?

1659552552326.png

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't have even minded black death - the girl herself was fine, still relatively cute.

But the show is just so entirely thorough with replacing literally every character with someone off-white and/or gay.

Diner dream orgy? Asian lady with a black wife. Gay couple. Waitress likes the cook, but oh wait he's secretly gay and fucking her son.

Dream vortex? Black

Librarian? Black

Constantine? White, but a woman and also gay.

Death? Black. Everyone death reaps? Black or a jew

Even the fucking Corinthian is gay.

They went so far as the entire backdrop of the various ages of England where Dream meets the immortal is littered with random black dudes either drinking or working at the tavern over the years. It's so ridiculous that it entirely ruins the immortals story when he eventually becomes a slaver - how in the fuck did slaving even happen when 30% of the population of England since 900AD or whatever was already black?

View attachment 427443
These shows and movies aren't made for fans of the original ip. They are soulless husks that capitalize on established, liked ips so that they can get free word of mouth marketing from the established fans saying how awesome the ip is while they go off and create whatever sjw pozd show they want.

• 4Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
i don't really care about race swap or gay shit that much, its annoying when someone like Rose looks like she has a literal fucking clown mop head on her but to me the more aggravating thing is how every show now only uses white men as villains and (usually black) women are always morally right, save the day, and are the only ones who can "do the right thing". This has it in spades.

evil pedo? fat white guy. evil abusive foster dad? white guy. evil demon capturer man? white guy. stupid cereal organizer? white guy. guy who sits around talking about whether its cool owning slaves? white guy. Was there a single evil minority in this show? Even the ugly black bald nightmare bitch turned out to have a heart of gold.

its gotten so normalized people don't even notice it anymore, like how villains in most movies and TV shows have gone from durka durkas to vague "kinda sounds russian?" white guys.

• 2Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Meh the villains were all basically copypasted from the comics, right down to the serial killers etc.

Funny how they didn't see fit to palette swap any of those though.

• 2Like

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really enjoyed the season. First 6 episodes were awesome. 7-8 were rough, but the show bounced back in 9 and 10. Whole lot of gay tho.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This pretty much. It's hard to totally escape the woke stuff at this point and this underlying story is good.
You know why it's hard?

Because you have people saying "c'mon, it's just a little woke, watch it anyway."

That just feeds the beast. Every time you watch this crap, you get more of it because the people with money aren't losing it.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 6 users

Judge_Mental

Trakanon Raider
Wife and I fell asleep watching this. Neither of us read the comics so no biases there. It's bland acting and storytelling - aspects that should be interesting fall flat due to either shitty direction or a poor script.

What I found hilarious was that if the white character on screen was "good" there must be a person of colour in the scene as well. If the white character was evil, there does not need to be a coloured actor present.

Great Value Amelia Pond should have stayed a remnant of Dr Who. 10 years has only withered her looks without bringing forth any considerable acting skill.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I just found the Sandman enjoyable. I’m a pure blood - southern Louisianan and hater of the woke, but I have not been triggered as many of my comrades have thus far.

I can not explain why, but I can tell you that I like the art and tone of the show along with the way out there plot line.

reminds me of this really f’d up book ‘Gods Demon’ in how serious the plot seems, but the protagonist is forced to question their role as an outsider looking in and some dark comedy is added.

I think it’s best to give series a watch without reading how others judge, and then coming back and seeing what others thought when you’re done….. Unless it’s so bad you need the warning, but this isn’t.

iabs

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just finished watching the series and....were half the characters really gay or was that my imagination?

Is that how it is in the comics?

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Half the characters?! It felt like just about everyone was some kind of gay in this one.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I was saying I wasn’t triggered by the woke levels then the whole diner episode made my eyes bleed.

spoke too soon ! But that’s ok, at least I know that deep down when I stare at women’s behinds I’m just a gay and not telling the truth like a good boy

iabs

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah this series really went full retard on the woke agenda.

Blatant depiction of white males exclusively being evil. The Corinthian, the collectors, the two guys in the back alley.

The rest of white males were either gay or incompetent, including the sandman himself who apparently doesn't know how to run his kingdom without the wise black woman librarian or understands his purpose (after eons of existence) without the wise guidance of his sister death, also a black woman.

They really went out guns blazing in this one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So Netflix done fucked up....

They sponsor Trixie Mattel and Katya (a couple of drag queens) to do reaction videos to various Netflix shows and movies in a YouTube show called 'We Like to Watch' and the latest episode went up yesterday for Sandman.

Towards the end of the episode, however, something happened

They started reacting to animated footage from Dream of a Thousand Cats and then some live action footage from Calliope.

So there is at least one more fully completed episode, possibly two, that covers Dream Country, the third Sandman volume in trade paperback form.

As soon as people started to notice the episode got ripped down, but the internet never forgets and people keep retweeting clips (which are very spoiler-intensive if you are unfamiliar with both stories)

I assumed the initial reports were just internet shitposts, but I've now seen the footage and it's absolutely real.