The Science Video Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
Animation of 400,000 galaxies in their actual positions.

This video and the one I posted makes me very sad b/c it not my lifetime i'll be able to travel to the star's or for that matter into space maybe space x or virgin galactic but real travel beyond the moon planet to planet. Oh well, all I can do is enjoy the visual's.

Grimsark

Grimsark, you remind me of the story that Carl Sagan tells in his book,The Demon Haunted World, about William F. Buckley (notthatWilliam F. Buckley). You're interested in science. You want to know. But you've been led down the garden path.
I appreciate your patronization. Honestly. Its more than most have given me here.

If I had to define the primary difference between me and most of the 'scientifically minded' it would be simply that I do not pretend to understand anything I am not personally certain of. A good example is electronics (which I am somewhat familiar with). I understand that certain effects have certain causes, and we have theories that can predict those causes and effects, on electrons, so precise that we are able to build integrated circuits so small that the interaction between the electrons and individual atoms becomes the primary limitation of performance... But, perhaps ironically, I do not pretend to understand what an electron is, past what we are able to actually observe. And I speak about them minus the absolutism so freely expressed by others. If that means that I am mislead (aka: walking the garden path) then so be it.

To quote wiki:
An electron has no known components or substructure. It is generally thought to be an elementary particle.
But then, in order to accept the generally accepted definition of an electron, I would (by default) seem to be endorsing the entirety of the standard model of particle physics... Which itself, is more precisely based on other rarely spoken about assumptions... Quickly digressing into a pool of pseudo science under the banner of 'fact'.

So, I will gladly walk in my own garden, than be TOLD in which garden to walk. (edit: then!than)

And I will continue to question, everything.

BTW: I love the 'man' that was Einstein... But not the 'demigod' the scientific establishment has turned him into.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This video and the one I posted makes me very sad b/c it not my lifetime i'll be able to travel to the star's or for that matter into space maybe space x or virgin galactic but real travel beyond the moon planet to planet. Oh well, all I can do is enjoy the visual's.
That's 100% how I feel. I wish I was born 100 or 200 years from now. Reminds me of this:
cryogenics.png

At least I can use my semi-depression about this to motivate myself on my work.

spum_sl

shitlord
Thank you posting this - it takes my mind away from the boobs ---- temporarily.

When I opened the door I saw a hand stretched out energetically. His long hair was gray, his face tired and yellow, but he had the same radiant deep eyes. He wore the brown leather jacket in which he has appeared in so many pictures. (Someone had given it to him to wear when sailing, and he had liked it so well that he dressed in it every day.) His shirt was without a collar, his brown trousers creased, and he wore shoes without socks. I expected a brief private conversation. Quietly he took a piece of chalk, went to the blackboard and started to deliver a perfect lecture. The calmness with which Einstein spoke was striking. There was nothing of the restlessness of a scientist who, explaining the problems with which he has lived for years, assumes that they are equally familiar to the listener and proceeds quickly with his exposition. Before going into details, Einstein sketched the philosophical background for the problems on which he was working. Walking slowly and with dignity around the room, going to the blackboard from time to time to write down mathematical equations, keeping a dead pipe in his mouth, he formed his sentences perfectly. Everything that he said could have been printed as he said it and every sentence would make perfect sense. The exposition was simple, profound, and clear.

Leopold Infeld

Hour+ long video... Worth watching if you have any objectivity what so ever.

Question everything!!!

fucker_sl

shitlord
I appreciate your patronization. Honestly. Its more than most have given me here.

If I had to define the primary difference between me and most of the 'scientifically minded' it would be simply that I do not pretend to understand anything I am not personally certain of. A good example is electronics (which I am somewhat familiar with). I understand that certain effects have certain causes, and we have theories that can predict those causes and effects, on electrons, so precise that we are able to build integrated circuits so small that the interaction between the electrons and individual atoms becomes the primary limitation of performance... But, perhaps ironically, I do not pretend to understand what an electron is, past what we are able to actually observe. And I speak about them minus the absolutism so freely expressed by others. If that means that I am mislead (aka: walking the garden path) then so be it.

To quote wiki:

But then, in order to accept the generally accepted definition of an electron, I would (by default) seem to be endorsing the entirety of the standard model of particle physics... Which itself, is more precisely based on other rarely spoken about assumptions... Quickly digressing into a pool of pseudo science under the banner of 'fact'.

So, I will gladly walk in my own garden, than be TOLD in which garden to walk. (edit: then!than)

BTW: I love the 'man' that was Einstein... But not the 'demigod' the scientific establishment has turned him into.
huh....let me understand you....are you saying that since our knowledge of physic is not absolute, we have to live with the absuntion we dont know anything ? and that ppl like Einstein, who's idea have revolutioned our understanding of the cosmos, arent worthy of their fame?

Newton was an idiot by your standards i suppose

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider

To quote wiki:

What good does it do you to question what you don't know?

Being 'somewhat familiar' with electronics hardly allows you to discount the standard model. It's easy to be skeptical of what you're not an expert in. Expertise in a skeptic makes the difference between a conspiracy theorist and an iconoclast.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
This thread seems redundant with the one in general. Maybe merge the two? Probably merge both back into screenshots, historically that's where the thread has been