The Science Video Thread

Lenas

Trump's Staff
holy fucking shit this lecture is amazing
God damn I'd love an updated version of his lecture now that we've found the Higgs. Mind got blown when he explained that the weak nuclear force and electromagnetism are the same thing, and that higher temps might combine all forces into one. Fuck.

fucker_sl

shitlord
God damn I'd love an updated version of his lecture now that we've found the Higgs. Mind got blown when he explained that the weak nuclear force and electromagnetism are the same thing, and that higher temps might combine all forces into one. Fuck.
it is what physic theories tells us right now. In the early universe (and we are talking like a fraction of second old) all forces were unified. It is theoriezed that the separation between them was what caused the inflation (i believe gravity was the first to split, then EM then the 2 nuclears. cant remember exactly). We are touching the very edge of current theories tho. Relativity breaks down at this point

and yes, an updated lecture would be fantastic

also.....this lecture made me understand even more what absolute fucking idiots you americans have been when you scraped the SSC project. i'm italian so i should be all about italy/europe dickwaving about our superduper accelerator and how a huge chunk of the researchers are from my country, but fuck that. I want back the SSC that was supposed to be 3 times more powerful than the LHC. If the scale of understanding of foundamental physics goes up with higher energies, we have cut ourself the access to a whole new level knowledge

there should be a worldwide project for this kind of stuff. Discoveries made by accelerators are what pushs our entire civilization ahead

fucking politics

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Didn't that guy say that the next level of 'resolution' would be something like 100 times the power we output from the LHC? Would being 3 times more powerful than the LHC accomplish very much?

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Shit and here I thought the last solar video I posted was amazing. This one is truly spectacular. I'm glad they started putting in a reference to the size of the earth compared to these massive prominences.