The Secret World

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was interested once I heard it went F2P but still thought it was $50 - $20-30 is tempting - having trouble finding data on the character development though, little bit I'm seeing on the "decks" stuff looks incredibly confusing.

Does the character generation compare to anything existing that I'd be familiar with?

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
http://thesecretsandbox.com/DeckBuilder/#

It has one of the most interesting character development systems of any MMO I've played.

I could try to suggest some builds for people but really it's more fun doing it yourself. You can't gimp your character since you can always just change your build. I will say one thing though, Clearing the Path is incredibly good and well worth building a deck around.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Can you suggest a line with lots of DPS without going too much into glass cannon territory?

I went the single target shotgun+hammer tank route and pretty much all fights are really slow/boring. I can live through pretty much anything but I'm just not having fun. I thought I could build something closer to a DPSer with some tanking ability but I don't know the system enough.

Any suggestions? I was filling out the puritan deck but I'm willing to dump it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I've never used hammer and don't know a lot about it but you could try looking at chaos instead of hammer. You can apply weakness with an ae builder (escalation) to increase the speed you kill things, and four horsemen is a good single target finisher. Shotgun gives you lots of good AE although I always preferred melee AEs since it's much easier to hit things especially when soloing and the monsters are all surrounding you.

My preferred method of survivability was in healing myself more than making myself tanky. There's lots of ways of doing it but it requires you equip ~2 heal items to make the heals powerful enough to make a difference. Some of the heals I used while soloing are Forking Paths, Healing Sparks (with Burst attacks like Four Horsemen and Run Rampant).

I used Bloodsport to apply Afflicted to everything then smashed everything with Clearing the Path.

If you want to use ranged then Blaze+Aidelon in elementalist is awesome single target damage.

"decks" stuff looks incredibly confusing.
The game is a lot simpler than it first seems. Basically you just get a skill wheel which is split in to categories. First it's split in to weapons so you have a Blade section, Assault Rifle, Elementalism section and so on. And then each of those weapon sections are split in two, one usually being more protective and one being more offensive (but it doesn't always work like that).

You can use two weapons, so pick one and use that with anything else. Even the Assault Rifle only uses one hand, so you can have that and then a blade or blood magic or whatever else you want.

How you should play is to decide on a role you want to fulfil. It's just like other games, you can tank, heal, dps, or support, or you can try to mix things up a bit. But generally groups are dumb will only want one of those main roles so you might find it better if you can be uber at just one thing. But anyway, once you know what you want to do, just look at all the skills and work out what would be useful to you. It's a lot of skills to read which is hard at first, but pretty soon you will get a good rough idea for what is where (and there is a search tool built into the game too). For example only a few of the weapons can do healing, and only some of the individual categories within those weapons. So for example Elementalism is only really about dps/support so you can't be a healer with that. But blood magic, blades, assault rifles, etc.. have some nice healing abilities.

The early part of the game is quite simple because you just pick skills that you want, and work towards unlocking them, and then that's it... A heal is a heal and you are now a healer. Make it stronger by getting gear to boost that, and you'll go far. It only gets more complicated at a higher 'levels' when mobs are harder and things get more serious. At that point you will want to start experimenting with abilities that complement each other. So for example you might find a passive ability (or even an active one) that provides an extra heal boost when you attack a mob that is 'Afflicted' with something. So if you then find an ability that causes Afflicted when you attack (or a Passive that makes you cause afflicted), then you can Afflict stuff yourself, then hit it with the other thing and cause an extra boost to your heals. This also works for damage and tanking and whatever else. There are 'synergies' all over the place, and it just becomes a game that's all about exploring these and working out powerful synergies that give you a big boost.

The combat itself is not all that interesting, you just spam your half dozen buttons without all that much thought. But planning out what those buttons should be on your hotbar, is quite deep.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Every cut scene zooms in my view kind of like looking through a magnifying glass, only way to fix it is to log out. This makes the game unplayable, at one point a bird was about 24 inches big on my screen and only way I could see is if I went into first person because my head took up the whole monitor.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Every cut scene zooms in my view kind of like looking through a magnifying glass, only way to fix it is to log out. This makes the game unplayable, at one point a bird was about 24 inches big on my screen and only way I could see is if I went into first person because my head took up the whole monitor.
I'm still waiting to play - I made the mistake of buying a box. Turns out there are whole sets of box keys that don't work properly: this I learned while chatting with tech support over my non-working key after I told them I would just go trade in the box for a new one: I was advised not to bother.

Pops

There are some distinct reasons why it would be bad for EA to purchase Funcom now after reeling in the MMORPG market. Especially since they are gearing more towards being an Origin-friendly indie publisher and moving more towards mobile applications. With that said they do have some cash right now, and they may be just interested in the scope of the engine.

But any come back Funcom made with this game in terms of quality would be washed down the drain.

I absolutely loved the haunted theme's. My favorite and most memorable gaming experiences in gaming in it's entirety, one or two overall come from the Franklin House and the Haunted Amusement Park in TSW. Those two areas alone are worth the price of admission if you are into the paranormal.

F2P without restrictions? Easy to justify a reinstall. I still have Egypt and Transylvania stories to do.
Good to see you Andy. Best thing you did was dial it down a notch. You are an knowledgeable and insightful guy.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
I heard using a "buddy key" still works with this f2p conversion.

If anyone happens to have a buddy key laying around still I would apreciate bumming one off someone.

Granted 19.50 isnt all that much to buy the game but im still hesitant and would prefer to try it again since i had mixed feelings about the game back in the beta weekends they held.

I was playing it tonight, feels great to play it again. I got the rocket launcher which I am really happy with. It requires quite a lot of grinding to unlock it and its abilities, but tbh, I kind of wanted that anyway. My interest only waned a bit last time because I felt like I was running out of stuff to do and purpose. At least this way, you could play daily and do stuff and it would all be working towards something. The missions are all repeatable and yet I never had any need to before. I actually wanted to go back to some of my favorite places and do the missions again but I had no point. Now I do.

Found some new content too. I'll probably play a few days then start doing the dungeons again.

I'm still waiting to play - I made the mistake of buying a box. Turns out there are whole sets of box keys that don't work properly: this I learned while chatting with tech support over my non-working key after I told them I would just go trade in the box for a new one: I was advised not to bother.
Did they give you a new key? They are issued automatically when you buy it online, you would think they would just give you a new key right away.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Did they give you a new key? They are issued automatically when you buy it online, you would think they would just give you a new key right away.
Nope, still waiting. As I said, I should have bought it online ;-) My mistake for wanting a physical copy. No worries always things to do. I gather the main thing is to avoid Egypt?

That sucks wow. I haven't heard about avoiding Egypt, is there a problem with the area or something? Can't say those Egyptian regions were some of my favorites, but they served their purpose. I'm so glad I came back because I am now on Transylvania and it's got the same feel as some of my favorite places previously. So I'm having fun questing again. I also perfected my solo build because things seem to have changed.

I need to redo my DPS build tomorrow. There is surprisingly little info about builds on the web, because the flurry of activity happened months ago and is no longer relevant in some cases. So it's down to me to test things myself using a parser. But I kinda enjoy that so it's something for me to look forward to tomorrow and then I can start going to dungeons again.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Nope, still waiting. As I said, I should have bought it online ;-) My mistake for wanting a physical copy. No worries always things to do. I gather the main thing is to avoid Egypt?
You can't avoid Egypt. Not only because you will get destroyed in Transylvannia but also for the storyline progression.

Maine gives up to QL 5/6 gear.
Egypt QL 8/9
Transylvannia QL10.

If you go into Transylvania without QL9 in most slots then you are just going to die.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Tried to do the new fusang last night. Every person I attacked killed me with some sort of damage shield shit (they were focusing someone else). What gives? What build is an unkillable pincushion and how do I steal it?

spronk

FPS noob
what the heck for $15 its a steal even if I only play a few hours, like gw2. odds on funcom shutting down in the next 6 months though near 99%

edit: with the $15 amazon deal, you also get a $5 credit towards a game in january, score. got the key right away, applied it to my old beta funcom tsw account, its now patching 4gb client

what the heck for $15 its a steal even if I only play a few hours, like gw2. odds on funcom shutting down in the next 6 months though near 99%
I hope they open source Anarchy Online if that happens, best MMO community ever, wouldn't doubt the player base would pick up the reigns and keep it going.

The Norwegian Govt. gives them a ton of grant money a year. Hopefully enough to keep them alive.