The Secret World

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Tried to do the new fusang last night. Every person I attacked killed me with some sort of damage shield shit (they were focusing someone else). What gives? What build is an unkillable pincushion and how do I steal it?
Sounds like a glance tank build. It uses Riposte which scales off your damage numbers, and with lots of DEF stacked, so you'll kill yourself glancing them. There are a couple of other passives that work into it, too, but that's the meat and potatoes of the build. You can normally tell that they're running something like this when they pop Art of War (some white swords swirling around them and red lines shoot to up to 5 targets).

I run Sword / Chaos anti-glance build to drop those fuckers:http://www.tsw-builder.com/#15v11114...30525943141132

Hit me up in game if you want to run dungeons or have questions about builds and shit. I'm happy to help out board members. Still been playing since launch, so I'm caught up on the FOTM / changes and bullshit. Have a group of folks on Arcadia - Templar. Just message Penetrator.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Finally got on and played it a bit tonight and reminds me a lot of DCUO just without the super heros. Not necessarily a bad thing.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This was a solid game, just sucks the Funcom name really hurt the sales. Loved the questing, and the story. Seems like they did F2P the right way, which I think is a huge +. Happy to have put my $50 down to support this title. Hopefully more companies attempt to break a little bit away from the mold and come up with something semi original in the future.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Easy grab for $15/no sub.

15.2gb d/l though.
redface.png

redface.png

redface.png

Love some stuff about the game, some stuff not so much. The questing is nice but it does get boring. It's better than WoW or Vanguard, but not all that much. There are occasional fun ones but mostly it's still just go kill x, and the investigations are often just boring. I just did one which had me translating Hungarian to English before I just got fed up and found a spoiler.

Ran some dungeons, again fun, but it's the same several over and over so it has limited appeal. And then did some PVP, same thing. Love tinkering with the skill wheel though. I spent hours parsing different stuff.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Interesting game so far, even though I'm derping about as a newb.

Also, the bright and airy atmosphere really meshes well with the holiday season.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Interesting game so far, even though I'm derping about as a newb.

Also, the bright and airy atmosphere really meshes well with the holiday season.
Yeah I'm still not sure wtf is going on but it's flashy. As with all non-high fantasy MMOs upgrades never feel quite as natural as they do in an EQ/VG/WoW world.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Yeah I'm still not sure wtf is going on but it's flashy. As with all non-high fantasy MMOs upgrades never feel quite as natural as they do in an EQ/VG/WoW world.
Well, upgrades aren't as numerous, that's for sure.

I made the mistake of doing the story line and walked into Savage Coast with 0QL gear and got turned into a red, greasy smear. I went back to Kingsmouth, now in mostly QL1 gear (lol) with a big stack more skill points than before and I'm feeling a bit more...less squishy.

I like being pinned to an area versus my natural tendency to steamroll levels, thereby missing lots of content. TSW almost enforces doing buckets of quests before moving on which is pretty cool now that I'm used to it.

Fucking love the 80's horror show combat music. Also, zombies + creeps everywhere = win.

Hate the mechanics of the quest system, though not the actual quests themselves. Really need a quest cancel option, and not running around trying to find a quest that's not part of a chain so you can pause then redo baloney.

I love the no hand-holding quest stuff. I was on a quest that had me follow clues about the Illuminati or something. Spent the next ten minutes staring at a manhole cover, wondering what to do, then slapping myself on the forehead in a "duh!" moment. It's pretty cool having to pay attention to quests again, something I really haven't done since EQ.

It's a typical FC game at this point, which is to say I'm either wanting to dance naked in a sea of champagne or sand my ankles off with a belt grinder.

Dalnoth_sl

shitlord
I Just picked this game up for 15 bucks. A steal honestly. The amazon promotion is still going on, here's thelink. Basically it's 15 bucks now and you get the original game + the first 5 content updates for free forever. I can think of way worse ways to spend 15$. I had very little interest in the game but for 15 bucks its worth a try. I paid 60$ for Diablo 3 and still feel like somebody took my man cherry.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Well, upgrades aren't as numerous, that's for sure.

I made the mistake of doing the story line and walked into Savage Coast with 0QL gear and got turned into a red, greasy smear. I went back to Kingsmouth, now in mostly QL1 gear (lol) with a big stack more skill points than before and I'm feeling a bit more...less squishy.

I like being pinned to an area versus my natural tendency to steamroll levels, thereby missing lots of content. TSW almost enforces doing buckets of quests before moving on which is pretty cool now that I'm used to it.

Fucking love the 80's horror show combat music. Also, zombies + creeps everywhere = win.

Hate the mechanics of the quest system, though not the actual quests themselves. Really need a quest cancel option, and not running around trying to find a quest that's not part of a chain so you can pause then redo baloney.

I love the no hand-holding quest stuff. I was on a quest that had me follow clues about the Illuminati or something. Spent the next ten minutes staring at a manhole cover, wondering what to do, then slapping myself on the forehead in a "duh!" moment. It's pretty cool having to pay attention to quests again, something I really haven't done since EQ.

It's a typical FC game at this point, which is to say I'm either wanting to dance naked in a sea of champagne or sand my ankles off with a belt grinder.
You are meant to complete the whole quest chain then look around. There will always be another quest to start within 50 yards of where the previous quest ends. Don't do it traditional style where you pick up everything at a 'hub' and try to do them all in one sweep.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Also picked this up for $15 on Amazon. So far I've been using Blade/Pistols mostly, which feels kinda meh. I wanted a DMC like theme, but I should probably go with something more effective. Anyone have suggestions on fun solo builds? Most of my points so far are into Blades.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Blade/AR works well Sean. Use AR for the healing and blade for the DPS (Clearing the Path is uber). Something like ..http://www.tsw-builder.com/#19v10014...21721332403353and stack penetration not crit. Drop Theatre go to 5 with Delicate Strike, consume with Clearing the Path and Anima Shot. Rinse and repeat. If you get low then Anima Burst x3 + Anima Shot will slowly whittle a mob down and you wont lose health. Use Matador x5 instead of Delicate Strike against harder mobs where you need more mitigation. That build should see you Transylvannia and by that point you will know better what you feel like playing. Another small tip is to always have one or two tank and healing items equipped when soloing. Makes things more steady, if a little slower (Tank item has tons of HP, healing item has well .. healing).
Your points into pistols aren't wasted as you need a way to Weaken by the time you hit Blue Mountains (there are mobs who will heal to full in a second if you don't weaken them) so you can adapt the above slightly. Here the trick is Magnum + The Business. Something like ...http://www.tsw-builder.com/#98v80080...53721421403951. Which is just adapted from the deck above. Plays exactly the same too. Drop Above the Law, The Business x5, Deadly Aim, Shootout, Anima Shot .. repeat.
That's just a couple of suggestions that worked for me. Other people have had success with using the Martial Discipline + Regeneration combo for healing or the self heal from the misc tree. I personally don't find those quite enough but ymmv.

Man , what a great ftp system. They must be making good cash from somewhere , cause the cash shop really has crap to be honest. If they added a fat body type , i would be all over that. Nothing like being a fat ass and owning zombies.

I played in the free beta, enjoyed it a lot, but didn't feel like it was worth a sub so I passed. Played the shit out of it this weekend maybe 20+ hrs? went Blade & Blood this time. I feel way stronger than last time when I played as Shotty & don't remember. yeah i got no clue how to build my skill deck

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I played in the free beta, enjoyed it a lot, but didn't feel like it was worth a sub so I passed. Played the shit out of it this weekend maybe 20+ hrs? went Blade & Blood this time. I feel way stronger than last time when I played as Shotty & don't remember. yeah i got no clue how to build my skill deck
The Investigation / ARG content for this game has always been stellar. Best advice for skilldeck building is to use the search function and see how the various passives chain off one-another. So look at Affliction effects and you can see that if you keep affliction up 100% of the time you can rely on affliction effect bonuses and such. Makes creating builds quite fun as you unlock more and more of the wheel.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Why is a sub such a deterrent? You buy the game, then should you play it for more than one month, you pay a sub. If you don't like the game, you aren't paying $15 a month for the rest of your life, what the fuck. On release I paid $40 for the game then I paid $15 for one extra month and my play time was enough to play a stack of JRPGs or every Call of Duty campaign ten times each.

This game basically failed because people were such fucking misers that they worried that they might LIKE the game enough to play past the first included month and start paying a sub and then three months later be like "OH GOD THIS SUCKS I WASTED 30 EXTRA DOLLARS" Fucking really? Subscriptions don't even start until after 30 days, that isn't enough time for you to gauge your enjoyment?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I don't know about you, but when TSW came out I was busy with shit IRL. With a sub I generally feel like I have to be playing to justify paying that sub. If I know I can't play much that first month then what would I really be learning? Now I paid $19.50 and with no sub I log in for an hour, tool around, then log out. No feeling like I have to play more to see if I like it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I don't know about you, but when TSW came out I was busy with shit IRL. With a sub I generally feel like I have to be playing to justify paying that sub. If I know I can't play much that first month then what would I really be learning? Now I paid $19.50 and with no sub I log in for an hour, tool around, then log out. No feeling like I have to play more to see if I like it.
Really? 50c a day and you feel obligated to play to get your moneys worth?

Are you constantly downloading shit to make sure your using your internet 24/7?

Are you constantly watching cable TV to get your moneys worth out of it?

Are you compelled to drive your car every day because of the monthly payment?

Its fucking baffling how some people think.