The Secret World

Hosix

All labs matter!
I just loved the builds you could do in this. You could be a wrecking machine against packs of normal mobs.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Haven't played in years, but i still believe The Secret World's dungeons are/were the best of any MMOs I've ever played.

Outside the broken Hell dungeons, of course

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played at release and the game was fun but some of the puzzles were way too crazy. Have they toned that stuff down or is it still "google to win"?

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
There are a few google to win, but I didnt find it that bad with the newer stuff. Me and my friend tried to go through solving shit ourselves and there was about 8-10 misions where it was like, WAT.jpg and we googled. This is still one of my favorite MMOs. Not geared towards kids, genuine build diversity (even at the min/max level) cool story/world and some neat stuff to do and achievements to hunt for. I just need to finish getting my monster hunter jacket...almost there...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed some of the mysteries but some of it was like holy hell, there's no way anyone figures that out on their own in less then 5 hours. I remember in the beta some of the quests took the forums working together to figure it out in like 2-3 days. Glad to hear they stopped that crap. I might resub after Legion wears off. I kind of miss this game and the new LCG by FFG reminded me how much I like Lovecraft stuff.

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Been a few years since I played also, but as someone that enjoys story/lore, this had my favorite MMO leveling experience. Agree with the comment above as well, the dungeons were top notch, I liked how it was mostly boss fights and the limited trash showcased up coming boss mechanics. As fun as they were though, running the same nightmare dungeons with no other real end game content got old after a couple months.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Would've liked to have seen what this game could've been had they had more funds. It had lots of potential.

• 1Like

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I really liked the atmosphere of this game. The skill wheel was pretty cool too. I basically stopped playing when I hit the wall for nightmare modes. Never went back but may one day.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The best MMO I never bother to play anymore. Sad. The problem I have with it is that it's a real bitch to get back itno when you've quit. It's hard to know where new quests are that you might've missed from issues, and it's hard to figure out a viable build when you've got access to a huge chunk of the skills but not all the skills, making just googling it hard.

I agree the dungeons were fucking fantastic though, and I loved all the quest zones, even if by the later ones it was really solo-unfriendly in most places.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
I stopped playing in Egypt, massive tone and theme change didn't like it

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Exactly what Yanger said. No one will take in their groups without gear and knowledge these days and there is absolutely no catchup mechanic. Sad. I would love to play this casually now and then for the story and the quests.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Of all MMO 'failures' over the years this is one that hit me most keenly as they genuinely had an amazing story and overall aesthetic AND hands-down the best skill system I have ever seen in a game MMO or otherwise. The Skill Wheel and all the ways in which your abilities could synergize yet not turn into cookie cutter clones was simply amazing. For the longest time I had hopes that Blizzard had stolen the Skill Wheel wholesale from FunCom to use in Titan.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
'Failure' is a tough call to make in the MMO world. WoW fucked up the metric so badly that every other MMO is technically a 'Failure' using their metrics. Player opinions are so subjective that they really are useless, except when overwhelmingly on one side or another.

So the only true metric that can be objectively defined is whether or not the game makes money, and how much (personal atms for the investors.... WIN!!).

I really liked Secret World's beta and have been meaning to go back, Sooo may other new MMOs (and expacs for old ones) out now that I just haven't pulled the trigger. But if they are making money for the people who made it and it is enough to keep it going, then it it is successful imo. Money, World, Going Round, you know.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
'Failure' is a tough call to make in the MMO world. WoW fucked up the metric so badly that every other MMO is technically a 'Failure' using their metrics. Player opinions are so subjective that they really are useless, except when overwhelmingly on one side or another.

So the only true metric that can be objectively defined is whether or not the game makes money, and how much (personal atms for the investors.... WIN!!).

I really liked Secret World's beta and have been meaning to go back, Sooo may other new MMOs (and expacs for old ones) out now that I just haven't pulled the trigger. But if they are making money for the people who made it and it is enough to keep it going, then it it is successful imo. Money, World, Going Round, you know.

Eh, making money and being successful are two completely different things. The new Ghostbusters movie is making money, yet it's still a colossal failure. Financial success is usually more accurately defined by what the company is making vs. what it was projected to make. SWTOR is still making money, yet no one sees that game as being a success, compared to what the projections for that game were.

• 1Like

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Rise from the grave. They are offering the game right now till Jan 3 for $7.50 for the standard version and $17.50 for the entire game including the 15 episodes that have been released. Good way to get entire game with out having to drop the money for each episode especially if you were ever on the fence of trying it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Rise from the grave. They are offering the game right now till Jan 3 for $7.50 for the standard version and $17.50 for the entire game including the 15 episodes that have been released. Good way to get entire game with out having to drop the money for each episode especially if you were ever on the fence of trying it.
Thanks for the heads up. For $18 I'll definitely see what I've been missing out on.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Only see up to issue 11 in the Ultimate Edition on Steam, where is it on sale for that price with all issues released? Loved this game and played the shit out of it when it 1st released.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Its on their site from what I read it wasn't updated on Steam, you were able to get it off their site and "add" it to an already made account if you had one.

Picked up The Blackwatchmen and all its DLC for under $20 on steam during the winter sale, the company that did a lot of the ARG and investigation missions in TSW made this game set in the same universe. Basically MMOARG if you enjoyed the puzzles in TSW. The game is active and they do live events to help push whatever story they have along.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Yeah found it and picked it up. Still as fun I remember.Now to make some hipster build and die repeatedly and then go back to ARs.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Its on their site from what I read it wasn't updated on Steam, you were able to get it off their site and "add" it to an already made account if you had one.

Picked up The Blackwatchmen and all its DLC for under $20 on steam during the winter sale, the company that did a lot of the ARG and investigation missions in TSW made this game set in the same universe. Basically MMOARG if you enjoyed the puzzles in TSW. The game is active and they do live events to help push whatever story they have along.

I tried this last night. Got to mission three and quit. I didn't know if I was looking too much into things so I watched a howto for the mission and saw that I had already inputted the answer. For whatever reason the game won't accept my answer as correct even though I'm entering it exactly as it appears on the howto and its definitely the same mission (same photos, clues, etc).

Maybe they changed the answer because there is a howto video out there. If that is the case then they need to change the clues as well.