The Secret World

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
AO was my first real mmorpg so itll always hold a special place in my heart, luckily I missed the buggy shit fest on launch and what I ended up playing left me with some great memories and friends I still game with today. I thought it also had some really great complex systems for people willing to invest, and some really diverse and unique classes. I absolutely loved the atmosphere and questing in TSW, but the combat never felt good to me though I appreciated what they were trying to do having no levels and allowing people to play whatever they want.

Ill definitely give this another go.

Too much fail is all it deserves really. I was a fan of TSW, more or less, but this is just horrible. It is very story focused now, with stupid shitty voice actors speaking stupid shitty lines at me constantly, it never ends... They start you in a tutorial that is like something out of the 1980s. There is some shitty generic combat pressing 111111111 and occasional left mouse. Then there are some puzzles that are EXACTLY the same as Skyrim. You get 3 symbols above the locked door, and you have to click some glowing boxes to light up the same symbols. Then you appear in a train station for some reason and NPCs join you and act like a group used to function in the original game. They run around saying stupid action movie shit, spamming heals and doing some basic shit while you run around doing the same, and waves of mobs run at you like that shitty Valve zombie game, and you press 11111111111 and watch them all explode. And then there is another huge boring terrible cutscene. And you are teleported somewhere else. And you can't pause any of this even though it is a single player instance. The cutscenes are crap but also jarring because they teleport you around constantly. The whole thing is supposed to take place in a dream.... original eh? So one minute you are fighting a huge monster in Toyko and it roars and everyone falls over, and now suddenly I am somewhere completely different and there is some other shitty story happening.

The combat seems worse than it was before. I played as the mage with pure magic, and nothing has any impact at all, and doesn't even feel real time or connected to what I press. I press left mouse and he kind of throws some little zap, and you can't hold the left mouse so you have to mash it constantly to do this auto attack replacement. People are going to kill their mouse playing this shit. And then I have a few crap spells on my hotbar, a fire which again he throws and it makes no impact, or a frost blast all around me which you only get to use every few minutes or something and is supposed to cool down the fire but I never need to use it. And a bit later I got some Chaos thing which talked about singularities or some shit appearing all around me but made no sense and looks crap. You also can't target stuff now so you have to play it like a FPS and constantly whip the mouse around to look at all the zombies running at you at all angles, and if you don't aim at them with your cursor, the spells don't fire.

And it is pay to win as well. You do all this shit for slow skill points, or you can just buy them with real cash.

The way my chaos magic works is to spam an ability that gives you a random number of combo points from 2-4. And there are circles on the ui and once you fill up those circles with combo points, it triggers a random effect. So there is no skill or brainpower required, just spam shit as zombie shit runs at you. Also even fighting bosses 1 on 1, my health hasn't dropped below 90% yet. I don't even bother to dodge anymore.

The graphics have no improvement at all, anyone who says otherwise is lying.

It is more linear too, you have a series of quests that you have to do in order, unlike TSW where I could just go to that huge outdoor zone and run around doing whatever I could find.

Not a good start.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Downloaded it and played some today - was not impressed with changes. I especially am not crazy about the reticle targeting, but going to give it some time to see if it grows on me. I can't help but think they are trying to make it controller friendly with that change.

I have the lifetime membership from way back, and the AP/SP rain down - that part is nice if you have it but yeah definitely much easier to level skills if you've spent money.

Otherwise I don't think I've played far enough in to see much change other than a few tweaks to the intro and yeah basically using 2-3 skills but primarily spamming one AE seems most effective.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I deleted and rerolled a few times to see if any of the weapons had a better feel and that was a big nope. I didn't even feel like I needed to face my targets with most of the weapons - wtf is the point of the reticle? The class gimmicks came across as more annoying than anything else.

Definitely a letdown.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Booting it up the new SWL. The feedback above doesn't bode well.

Sucks that the Launcher updates over previous TSW patch. Now I have to reinstall the whole game if I want to play TSW. Goddamn Funcom.

Played the new intro. Ya it was stupid easy, but it's a fucking intro. Nothing to cry about.

I'm not sold on the target reticle or class based system. Too limited imo. After the new intro it seems to drop you into the standard intro. Looks like the same content after that?

So only real difference is TSW standard MMO controls and class openness vs SWL target reticle and class restriction. Any real gamer would prefer the former.

Last edited:

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It should have the same class openness as you can choose any weapon combination and has a somewhat similar active/passive system. I only just finished downloading it so haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
The combat changes are to hard to tell with how low level everything is, think they said they are adding in the elite/nm dungeons a bit later so that to me will determine whether or not they "fixed" combat and builds to not be the same cookie cutter ones. Did my TSW legacy claim and it ended up unlocking all of the weapons so that saved a bunch of black bullion, didn't have a lifetime membership just subscribed for 2 months one time.

It's still not a game you power game through, but if you've never played it then go through it once and do all the content as it does have the best story and atmospheres of any MMO ever especially Solomon Island which to me is the gold standard in doing an MMO zone right. The AP/SP grind feels around the same it did on TSW without a subscription but unlocking every ability is honestly no different then say leveling up every job in FFXIV. Performance wise the game runs better then TSW as I don't see as much of the old hitching it used to have around Agartha. There doesn't seem to be any drastic changes to quests but until I hit end game its still the same ride it was just with some QoL changes.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I really liked my old character on TSW and found myself unable to replicate his look even when I got to Agartha and was able to get all the legacy cosmetic options. All of the present facial options look like a bad Korean MMO and without any clear way to tweak it I felt shortchanged.

The starter classes didn't include my go-to combination of Elemental and Shotgun so I decided to try out Warlock (Blood Magic + Assault Rifle). The base Blood attack is an odd AE and the base Assault Rifle seems to be a very low-power (maybe due to it being secondary for me?) Laser bolt. I was scratching my head as to why my assault rifle was making twist beams and Pee-wee noises...

The storyline has been tweaked slightly to focus on the new Agartha as a city hub and how you move around, but otherwise things are largely the same. New tutorial gets you up and running quick, but is not overly remarkable and you still go through the bit where you possess one of the characters in New York during the Times Square attack.

The combat abilites other than the base attacks seem very bad. I have a couple that sound like they might be useful, but in practice just seem like a pointless waste to ever actually use. Similarly the resource mechanic doesn't seem at all well implemented.

I get that reticle-style Korean MMO free-to-play does well, but I feel they lost too much of what made The Secret World awesome

iannis

Musty Nester
I dunno, really. I think i'm going to hate the reticle system. That's really the thing. I don't like that sort of control scheme. It's not "CHANGE IS BAD". It's just not how I interface with the product.

The combat revamp. Ehh, it's got its good points its got its bad points. I'm ok with that mostly. They moved the "gimmick" out of passive/active elites and directly onto the weapons. Sure, i'm fine with that. I'd be more impressed if they had pursued weapon combo's like DCUO did. But they didn't do that, they kept it more strictly button based. Ehh... you know. Some good, some bad. It's not obviously better but I don't hate it too much.

That reticle targeting though. That's annoying. And you STILL have to get an autosprint script. There's even a toggle available to keep sprint on. AND IT DOES NOTHING. Overall though they did make significant UI improvements. Buy orders on the AH. Whaaaaaaaat?!?! And you've already got some dude trying to corner the market on RMT. lol.

Honestly I think this was just a trial run for their dev team, and one last cash grab off TSW. Their next project is fairly obviously console based.

• 1Like

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well it's not a perfect reboot. But it's fun and it has brought fresh life into the game.

I'm up to level 25 now and the combat works better than the original. I miss the complexities of the ability wheel, but the new system isn't all that different in reality - just easier for new players to grasp.

Quests are all the same, and since I hadn't played it for 5 years it's been fun to play through watching cutscenes etc.

It's always been such an awesome setting for a game. It does at least now, feel alive. And to be honest, you can experience all of what makes the game so damn good for free (just probably not the end game etc).

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I like the disconnect between the MMORPG.com guy's stream of the reboot, where he's bitching nonstop, and the article, where he's praising it.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
The starter classes didn't include my go-to combination of Elemental and Shotgun so I decided to try out Warlock (Blood Magic + Assault Rifle). The base Blood attack is an odd AE and the base Assault Rifle seems to be a very low-power (maybe due to it being secondary for me?) Laser bolt. I was scratching my head as to why my assault rifle was making twist beams and Pee-wee noises...

I rolled warlock too, in Kingsmouth I purchased the assault rifle AE early and after that it was basically spam the blood AE on groups until they die, if my meter tapped out on that I'd switch to the AR aoe and occasionally use the pew pew single target to heal myself.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I wanted to go Chaos/Blade since I want a melee tank and aren't too fond of hammer.. picked demolisher (since chaos/blade isn't a starting option), after the tutorial finished and I got to kingsmouth I claimed my TSW stuff which unlocked every weapon, found a nice chaos weapon from a boss loot bag 5 minutes later and away we go! Having a lot of fun.. Always loved TSW, the setting is fantastic.. the main issue for me at the moment is the lag.. so much lag. Might be a problem in polaris, we'll see.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
kissoftherevenant.com

The Black Watchmen guys that did the TSW puzzles and ARGs are doing a small ARG, it gives a weapon that will summon a Revenant and each weapon type has it's own variation you can select on the final puzzle. Will email you code once you complete it at a later time.

Last edited: