The Secret World

Sho'nuff

Golden Knight of the Realm
I remember how excited Funcom was because they had so many people playing the beta. They anticipated upwards of 1.2 million box sales. I think 800k was their break even point. They ended up with less than 600k and went downhill from there. The layoffs began just a couple of months later. Such a shame, really. This is a favorite game of mine. I loved the stories and atmosphere. The ability deck was new and original and the dungeons were just fantastic. The quests were as challenging as any I have seen in a game. I spent hours and tried to do most of them without looking up the answers but I have to confess, I was stumped a number of times. And the community (lots of Euros) was great. But they just didn't have enough bucks to flesh it out and keep fine tuning and adding to it.
I will play through this new iteration of the game, but I don't expect much in the way of new content. Just a repackaging. They just don't have the resources to do anything else.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
As someone who played Anarchy Online from launch to 4 xpacs in. I have zero sympathy for FunCom. They constantly stepped on their dick. They made some great games that were only ever 75% finished, knowing all the sploits and glitches was the only way to enjoy their broken messes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played this at launch and had a good time. Its still the best leveling experience Ive had in a mmo, the quests were different enough that I really enjoyed them, but any time Id try to tell a friend to play it theyd tell me its Funcom and fuck those guys after Age of Conan.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The problem was the quests were terrible half the time. The answer was so obtuse that either the quest took 2 hours or you just had to alt tab out. If you are alt tabbing for every 4th quest, why not just go play WoW? The amount of people who want to figure out a 2 hour brain teaser is pretty low. They put one of those in the first couple hours as well which I am sure turned people in the beta off (Men in Black Vans?)

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
I like it, so much of that wheel was just filler anyways. But the resource management never struck me as being a problem and the gearing is a nice change for sure. Not bad, much less complex for new players that just want to level and see their charactee get stronger. Didnt notice if gear secondary stats were changed, like pen and crit and the like....also the hub area is a nice change as well. Overall looks good.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Launches in a month, Ill be trying it but doubt ill have anyone to play with if anyone wants to form up a group of guys from here.

iannis

Musty Nester
skill decks were absolute balls. Just horrible. Funcom even admitted it.

They were just costume rewards really.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
My biggest question is will they fix the boss mechanics that require UI mods to have a chance against and actually tune things like Nightmare Hell Risen. Game doesn't have the support of modders much anymore and some of those UI mods were crucial to actually winning most of those fights since dps had to run such a crazy low hp that one mistake was death 90% of the time.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Why do you say UI mods were required for hell raised? The abilities are usually telegraphed enough for you to avoid them..

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I will definitely be playing this, always a fan of its story/atmosphere.

Do we have a guild running? Korrupt Korrupt , you got guild in line?

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
No sir dont need a guild really, need 5 statics for nightmare modes or at least thats what we did originally.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why do you say UI mods were required for hell raised? The abilities are usually telegraphed enough for you to avoid them..

UI mod timers for things like Tyrants damage shield, those reflect shields would cause so many instant deaths if you spent 5 resource finisher just as it went up especially with the amount of running and dodging going on, not impossible to do with out but it was pretty gg with any kind of pug. A lot of the boss mechanics were telegraphed but I remember that the dungeons felt super easy when everyone knew what to do and when you made no mistakes it seemed trivial but as soon as you had one person who hadn't done it or wasn't on point it was wipe city and of course if it happens in the middle of the dungeon gg for the day because of lockout timers because people would just quit.

Hell Fallen's third boss, Prime and Alpha, was such a pain in the ass that it was difficult to find anyone outside of experienced guild people to even do it.

Last edited:

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Quick question. If you purchased a bunch of shit from the store (clothing, outfits, etc) in the original version, does any of that transfer over? I'd honestly be pretty pissed if everything I purchased in the original game isn't available or at least given some form of compensation.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
There is a FAQ on the website which I think answers that, but from what I remember they said you will have a limited opportunity to copy across cash shop items.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Just 1 character slot with the base pre-transfer account? I'm going to assume that they might give you extra slots for GM/Patron. But I guess maybe not, huh?

Anyone actually know?

iannis

Musty Nester
Quick question. If you purchased a bunch of shit from the store (clothing, outfits, etc) in the original version, does any of that transfer over? I'd honestly be pretty pissed if everything I purchased in the original game isn't available or at least given some form of compensation.

Most of that shit should transfer. But you'll have to have claimed it on your TSW account for it to link into the TSL account.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I am downloading it now. Did the character transfer thing so we will see what that results in.

• 1Like