The Secret World

althuna_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I started playing this the other day since it was on sale at Amazon for $10. Enjoying it pretty well so far. Like everyone says, the combat is pretty crap, but otherwise it's fun. Currently in Savage Coast. I had a group try Polaris and it went poorly. We got to the Primordial Dweller boss before we kept wiping.

I've got a blade/AR build, and I still haven't figured out how that translates into a class. In Polaris, we had everyone but me and another guy (healer) wipe, and I basically tank/healed the boss with just the other guy supporting. Same thing happened on that Primordial Dweller one, but the adds fucked us up. So I don't know if everyone else is just that bad, or if I'm actually a tank/healer hybrid, even though it feels more like I'm dps.

Edit: Also, a recent complaint, is that packs of mobs absolutely fuck me up so bad. I'm wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong, or if my build is missing something.
My newbie guide would be this. Stay in the first zone as long as possible, make sure u do every single quest, and repeat the ones you enjoyed a few times. Also you need to do Polaris a few times, you need at least a few good blues from there before you move on to the next zone. The little tokens you get can also be used to buy a blue from the guys near the police station. The second zone will feel a lot easier once you have those few blues from the previous place. You can also just go back there any time you want and do the missions again or find any you missed. The mobs are easier there and the quests are easy and I found it quite a nice place.

Then in the second zone, try to do all the quests you can find and do Inferno as often as possible, preferbly get yourself a few more blues from that place. You basically need the blues from these dungeons to allow you to do ok in the next dungeon of the next zone. If you rush ahead you'll struggle. You also need the XP to unlock lots of good abilities and the high end ones. That first zone has some quests near polaris which give a ton of exp. You can repeat them every day and they are pretty easy, especaily when you have already done it before. Load up on xp in that place. And do polaris until you get some gear or get bored. Bad groups happen but try again.

With the skill wheel, you need to learn it and work out ones that mix together well. For example you might be using blood magic and shotgun, but there might be some passive from the assault rifle tree that would really help. You need to mix and match this stuff intelligently. And nothing is wasted, because eventually you will want the whole tree filled anyway. It looks complex at first because there is so much to see but sadly its quite simple because thats all there is - ever. For example, there are only a few ways to do healing - blood magic / assault rifle are the main ones and thats it.

You need at least a few builds. You need a build dungeons that is pure dps or pure healing or whatever you want your role to be. Dont try to do multiple things, if you are healer they dont need your dps, you just need to keep everyone alive and the dps can focus on the damage. But you also need a different build for soloing which has some area damage abilities (because fighting groups of mobs is common), and you have to have some heals because it just makes soloing far easier if you are healing yourself while you fight. Experiment with stuff, you should be able to make a super heal build that doesn't do much damage but heals you strongly so you just chip away at mobs and eventually the die, but you are almost unkillable. Then tweak it a bit and add some more damage to it.

And, you need different sets of gear for each build. For your heal build in dungeons, the heals wont be strong unless you have heal gear. And same goes for dps and tanking. Once you go solo questing again, you should really wear a mishmash of gear, almost half tank items can help you survive better, and then about half heal items make your heals more effective. Maybe one dps item or whatever. You can get by soloing with a pure dps build a bit later on, just kill mobs asap and then you dont really need to tank or heal. But at first you might struggle to kill things fast enough so its probably safer to have lots of heals to make life easy.

Also try the different weapon types just to see what you prefer. Once I tried assault rifle I loved it because you kill stuff miles away which made things much safer. Shotgun was stronger but stuff gets closer to you so you need to kite more. Elementalism was good for doing a lot of damage to single targets. Blood magic was just all round awesome because you heal yourself and it also does some good damage too. But some people like pistols while they kite all over the place. I preferred a more lazy approach of standing still and pwning stuff with minimal running around. You can make it work however you want by tweaking your gear and build.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been playing this for the last couple of days and this event has given many so many AP and SP points. I am only halfway through Kingsmouth I think (siren song mission) and I've already unlocked QL6 fist (though i don't have anything higher then QL3 right now and no real idea how to get more) and I've finished the My first 60 chaos/fist build and started working on the 400 AP version.

Also I'm rank 4 Illuminati and bought my 2 speed skillups with 100k to spare and I have all of the achievement stuff for this event minus Fusang which is bugged POS.

It's been fun but getting new gear seems to only come from questing or hard to acquire crafting materials?

Still I am leaning towards switching to a ranged DPS or heal build since melee is punished by boss mechanics quite a bit if these world bosses are anything to go by.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The little tokens you get can also be used to buy a blue from the guys near the police station.
You should never waste tokens on anything before Blue Mountain. Just spend all the SP you get in Kingsmouth on your main weapon until you can equip QL6 and then make the run out there to buy it. Discover the Agartha portals on the way and it's simple to warp back to where you left off questing.

Still I am leaning towards switching to a ranged DPS or heal build since melee is punished by boss mechanics quite a bit if these world bosses are anything to go by.
Yeah, it's always been that way. Melee is great for soloing or tanking, but awful in nearly every dungeon. It's not just the survivability either; melee simply can't compete in dps, mainly because AR has the best builders and longest range while Shotgun/Pistol have the powerful group damage buffs. The only boss I ever used melee on was Ur-Draug, because of its extremely high block. Clearing the Path would deal far more damage than anything else you could do, because of the 100% penetrate effect, and meleeing his ass was perfectly safe as long as the tank wasn't retarded. Sadly, CtP got nerfed into the ground (40% pen) earlier this year, so even that is gone now.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm starting to get the hang of it. I used a build from back in January I think in this threadhttp://www.tsw-builder.com/#19v10014...21721332403353

What I did probably wouldn't normally work, but with the 2x SP and AP boosts it did. I basically pumped up my talisman skills and got my blade skill to 10. Bought a QL10 blade and some really good talismans and it helped me actually survive. I accidentally finished the first storyline quest and had no problem with Beaumont. I was also able to complete that build just before the story quest. I did maybe half the quests in Savage Coast, and maybe 1/3 of the ones in Blue Mountain.

Now I'm sitting with a QL10 blade, QL6 AR, QL8 major talismans, and QL6 head/minor, going into Egypt.

I also tried to do Polaris with a group today and myself tanking. I had all QL6 stuff, and Ur-Draug fucked my shit up. It's possible that I didn't do well because my deck isn't tank friendly, but I have no idea what a tank deck looks like. All the other bosses we dominated, but that last guy is a fucker.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, it's always been that way. Melee is great for soloing or tanking, but awful in nearly every dungeon. It's not just the survivability either; melee simply can't compete in dps, mainly because AR has the best builders and longest range while Shotgun/Pistol have the powerful group damage buffs. The only boss I ever used melee on was Ur-Draug, because of its extremely high block. Clearing the Path would deal far more damage than anything else you could do, because of the 100% penetrate effect, and meleeing his ass was perfectly safe as long as the tank wasn't retarded. Sadly, CtP got nerfed into the ground (40% pen) earlier this year, so even that is gone now.
So this elemental blood ranged build would not be a good idea then?

http://wordpress.tswguides.com/syner...uild-by-enacra

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm going to try thisbuild. Since I was already using Fist/Chaos it wasn't a big leap to push over 50 points to AR/first. Still have some points to go before I have the whole build (quite a bit in fact) but I like the concept on paper. And I like that switching classes is so easy.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I really like how this game plays so far. Combat is simplistic but overall in the right hands this system could be even deeper. Like how quests aren't necessarily at a hub and so on. Needs better emphasis on grouping but not bad.

addlemixie

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been having a lot of fun with the investigation missions. Granted, some of them are kind of stupid (the aforementioned decoding by trial and error) but it beats the pants off of collecting bear asses.

I'm not sure if I'm sold on the whole anniversary boss awarding bullion though. Kind of silly that I'm only partway through the savage coast and I have the 10.0 Assault Rifle now. On the weeklong anniversary trial thing.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been having a lot of fun with the investigation missions. Granted, some of them are kind of stupid (the aforementioned decoding by trial and error) but it beats the pants off of collecting bear asses.

I'm not sure if I'm sold on the whole anniversary boss awarding bullion though. Kind of silly that I'm only partway through the savage coast and I have the 10.0 Assault Rifle now. On the weeklong anniversary trial thing.
Heh you to? I just got the 10.0 AR from bullion and I am now about to go finish KM finally. I sold half the signets that I looted and now I'm sitting on 1.7 mil.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You all must have been hitting a lot of the anniversary bosses. I think I have like 7 black bullions from them (and a pet, eyepatch...and a set of fireworks!).

I finally was able to finish the last boss of Polaris on normal. It took me having almost all QL7/8 talismans and a QL10 blade to drag a group through. So when everyone was saying PUG's suck in this game, apparently you're dead on.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Boss farming was more fun then I anticipated. Joined the anniversary channel then constantly porting from person to person to get those kills d awesome. Even managed to score the green eyes, black monocle and 6/8 pets. I actually scored several duplicate pets but it wouldn't let me stack then so I could trade for the two I need. I saw people in chat trading them though so I wonder.

Playing the rest of KM with QL10 and QL6 weapons is kind of fun as an assault rifle build. It is still possible to die on a big pull which i like. Some of the missions have been pretty awesome and the voice acting is way better then I expected.

Really just glad I am having fun and with so much left to unlock. I am really falling in love with the ability to invest in one character instead of numerous alts. I don't feel like collecting lore is a waste of time because my altaholicism would require me to do it on every character. I can just play the character I like add long as I like while investing in something I might want to try later.

And the game ispretty!

Vorph

If you wait a few days, it will very likely be on sale for 66% or 75% off on Steam when the Summer Sale gets going.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
What's a good weapon to pair with shotgun, these days? Going to restart this for a bit.

Also, server still basically doesn't matter right?

Vorph

Safety Off used to be the best builder in the game, but it sounds like 1.7 nerfed AR into the ground; a double dose of making Extra Bullet worthless on top of them gimping all the multi-hit abilities. AR really only has range going for it now, and I would guess it's strictly a healing weapon in most people's eyes.

Glendronach_sl

shitlord
Yes, they nerfed the DPS of AR heavily (I used to average 3k dps with AR/Shotgun on test dummies, now 2.1k). If you plan to do DPS in dungeons Pistol/Shotgun is the cookie cutter high dps. For solo play I find Blade/Shotty good (frenzy builder+leeching frenzy gives enough healing in all solo situations).