The Shape of Water (2018)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Upon reflection, I realized this movie was just an iteration of The Little Mermaid told in Guillermo's style. Done wonderfully well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I went into this expecting nothing and found a humorless remake of Splash featuring a creepy fish man who ate live cats and a desperately horny mute girl with some loose screws instead of a pretty blond and Tom Hanks. Seriously, there was absolutely nothing original about it except for everyone involved being cool with the heroine boning the amphibian. I guess I was expecting something better from the guy behind Pan's Labyrinth than a meh re imagining of a movie from 1984 even before they shoehorned in the racism and homophobia. Yeah sure it was the 60's in Baltimore, as such those folks would have known better than to go into that diner like they did and the obligatory gay man would have had places he could have gone to socialize instead of hitting on random waiters half his age. And of course the only straight, white, religious family man in the movie is a misogynistic, racist, psycho. It would have been a better film without any of it but if they felt the burning need to inject social commentary then they could have been less lazy about it.

There was some charm but that was outweighed by the violence, odd sex and its general lack of originality. The sets and the monster were well done though.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I went into this expecting nothing and found a humorless remake of Splash featuring a creepy fish man who ate live cats and a desperately horny mute girl with some loose screws instead of a pretty blond and Tom Hanks. Seriously, there was absolutely nothing original about it except for everyone involved being cool with the heroine boning the amphibian. I guess I was expecting something better from the guy behind Pan's Labyrinth than a meh re imagining of a movie from 1984 even before they shoehorned in the racism and homophobia. Yeah sure it was the 60's in Baltimore, as such those folks would have known better than to go into that diner like they did and the obligatory gay man would have had places he could have gone to socialize instead of hitting on random waiters half his age. And of course the only straight, white, religious family man in the movie is a misogynistic, racist, psycho. It would have been a better film without any of it but if they felt the burning need to inject social commentary then they could have been less lazy about it.

There was some charm but that was outweighed by the violence, odd sex and its general lack of originality. The sets and the monster were well done though.

Damn it. Why did you have to point all that out? I didn't notice it, but now I do, and I can't argue with any of it!

Agree, for someone who made Pan's Labrytinth, this was a let down!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

lol
QzlcSUr.jpg
Grinding Nemo

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Damn it. Why did you have to point all that out? I didn't notice it, but now I do, and I can't argue with any of it!

Agree, for someone who made Pan's Labrytinth, this was a let down!

Hipster chicks are digging this one though man...I'm telling you you throw this bad boy on in Brooklyn and you already know whats happening next. ane.

Jive Turkey

Karen

Humorless though? There were a lot of funny moments.
Ya, but I still got my thumb, my ring finger, and my pussy finger

Even the concept itself was clearly shooting for charming whimsy and not serious self importance

• 1Like

Gask

The older cleaning lady was the only comic relief that I can recall so in that I agree with you, it wasn't completely humorless but it was overshadowed by the violence. As for self importance? I never claimed that it was. I just felt that some of the themes they injected into the story were poorly executed, unnecessary and detracted from the viewing experience.

Overall the movie was tonally muddled, it opened up with charm but then it seemed like they made every effort to subvert that unless you found the man fish love angle romantically convincing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
im amazed this got best movie, absolutely amazed. Am I so out of touch? No ... its the children who are wrong.

It started off so well, obviously going for dark comedy which reminded me of amelie in the way it was whimsical as JT said but also had adult content.

The first thirty minutes was fantastic, the movie itself was beautifully shot and I even said out loud how great I thought it was.

Then it .... sank? Black comic relief lady, needlessly racist gay-unfriendly bartender, Shannon's (who I really like) hammy acting breaking tension, nothing much happening at all, the lack of any sort of plot expansion as to fishman. There were also a looooot of contrived plot moments which could come accross as nitpicky to discuss, but if the movie was better then they wouldn't matter so much.

In the end I thought it was pretty poor and was really disappointed. Fucking astonished this was the best picture. If any of you DID like it and haven't seen it yet, Amelie is a much better movie in the same vein.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gask

So the Academy loved it, my review is officially vindicated!

If their criteria for best picture is good CGI and around 30 min of high quality viewing then just how many snubbed best picture films are languishing in bargain bins I wonder? :D

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
two hot takes

either the academy loved a movie where a woman raped a fish
or
the academy loved a movie where a woman kept her fucking mouth shut for 2 hours

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Cybsled

Movie well reviewed earlier in this thread, then media starts saying film is SJW/etc and all of a sudden, people in this thread start reeeeeeing. Give it a fucking rest.

• 4Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I thought this movie was pretty awesome.
Visually stunning.
Zod was on point.
The stereotypical black lady bit really needs to fuck off.
And the fish fucking thing is pretty weird.
Mostly fappable.
8 of 10

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
So the Academy loved it, my review is officially vindicated!

If their criteria for best picture is good CGI and around 30 min of high quality viewing then just how many snubbed best picture films are languishing in bargain bins I wonder? :D

I'm not sure there was a ton of CG in this movie apart from the usual digital matte painting

Jive Turkey

Karen

These sorts of uber-antiSJW videos (I'm definitely regular antiSJW) betray their determination to be annoyed when they bring up that all the bad guys in a 1950s military command are white. If one of them was black, they'd be annoyed that it was unrealistic for the time period and catering to the SJW crowd. There's no winning

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Are you trying to say that zealots are unreasonable? How dare you.

• 3Worf