The "Shit I just bought" thread

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would like to check out some of those badass headphones but I know I'd hate life afterwards.
Just so I dont seem like a holier than thou audio snob, I was actually in the same position Keotat. I remember a good 15 years ago or so I wanted a new Ht setup and I had some cheap Kenwood setup. I wanted to go more upscale, so without knowing any better, I check out Best Buy. I listened to some ok Polk speakers. The Best Buy kid happened to mention a Home Theater shop in the area that did custom home installs and had some nicer offerings. (good advice from BB? = shock!) I wandered into this place and it changed my perceptions for life. It makes your ears happy, but damn is it expensive to play!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That's why I'd hate life, I'd want them but would rather spend money on my cars at the moment. If I keep ignorant to what I'm missing it's much easier to ignore.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's why I'd hate life, I'd want them but would rather spend money on my cars at the moment. If I keep ignorant to what I'm missing it's much easier to ignore.
Well, if it helps... good high end audio gear generally will not depreciate as bad as (non-classic) vehicles will!

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I just bought a new water heater. Nothing exciting, would have loved to go tankless but wasn't in the budget as this was basically an "emergancy" replacement. Bought a cheapie 6 year guy and will hopefully go tankless next time around.

Thankfully I was awake when my old one decided to blow and start flooding my garage. I was laying in bed listening to the radio at 11:30pm at night when I hear running water. I thought it was just a toilet that was running but when I got downstairs I quickly realized hot water was flooding my garage. Thankfully I've dealt with several hot water heaters going bad over the years with my restaurants so wasn't that big of deal. Only thing that was weird was that the water was blowing out the top of the tank, most of the other ones I've dealt with have all rusted out at the bottom.

Water around here is very low on calcium which acts as a buffer for rust so hot water heaters don't last very long in my area.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Beats are the doucheist headphones and I couldn't even tell you why, I like a lot of their design choices but I would never own any. I get the same vibe from them that I get from Monster cables, gouging the consumer just because they can.

I would like to check out some of those badass headphones but I know I'd hate life afterwards.
Beats are made by Monster, so that makes sense.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Beats have pretty shitty quality. You're paying for Dr. Dre to fuck you in the ass.

That's who makes them right?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Dr. Dre the engineer made that shit

Here's an interesting tidbit ,go to any local University and count how many people are wearing Dre Beats - probably 50% of the population. It's nuts.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'd buy some $100 headphones that were 98% as good and spend $900 dollars on charity.

Audiophiles are the second worst people in the world, behind beer snobs.
Charity being hookers and blow, I hope!

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just picked up a Ryobi one set too. Mine was the same set, but came with a free miter saw for the $300 price tag. Pretty excited to have some decent tools with Lithium Ion batteries.
Miter saw kit is 329 now. I already have one and I just bought my dad (eg myself) a sliding compound so I decided two were enough. I was on the fence about this or a two regular battery kit but I'm pretty sure this extended battery has 4 amp hours where the smaller p102s only have like 1.3

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Got one of deez in red
rrr_img_45676.jpg

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You need to meat grinder/sausage maker attachment!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Already have a Nest thermostat. Now they have a smoke/CO alarm in the works. Probably outfit the house with these as well.

Nest Smoke/CO Alarm
How are you finding the Nest Thermostat, and did you compare it to the 3M and Ecobee before taking the plunge? I have one of the 3M's but it was a bitch to install because of the C-wire requirement, and the screen interface is about as user friendly as UNIX. Was only a $100 though.

November

Lord Nagafen Raider
How are you finding the Nest Thermostat, and did you compare it to the 3M and Ecobee before taking the plunge? I have one of the 3M's but it was a bitch to install because of the C-wire requirement, and the screen interface is about as user friendly as UNIX. Was only a $100 though.
Love it. I was an early adopter and got the v1.0 when it was released, now there's v2.0 that can handle multi-staged systems, radiant flooring, etc. I was attracted to the simplistic, elegant design and the intuitive interface. It emails me every month detailing my energy usage and keeps itself up-to-date with software releases, etc. I think it took me all of 30 minutes to take my old thermostat down and install the Nest.

The two huge things for me were:

• The ability to control it remotely.
  • Airwave. When the AC is running during the summer, and when Nest senses the humidity is low enough, it'll shut the compressor off on the central air unit when it's reached its target temperature and only run the fan as there is 10-15 minutes worth of cooling potential left in the coils.

I didn't look at the Ecobee, but I did look at Honeywell's advanced units. I just didn't like all the shit on the screen and its size. That and the fact I was sick of the giant beige box on the wall. The Nest was the best option for me.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Without getting all into it...They just sound amazing with high quality music formats/recordings and equipment. They are on par with $4000 dollar headphones. Some say better.

Once you hear them, you can see why they cost $1500. My buddy owns a pair, and soon as he let me listen to some Louis Armstrong and James Brown with them, I wanted a pair.
Buys $1500 headphones for experiencing high end audio format. Doesn't listen to vinyl nor tape. Wakandan Plz.