The "Shit I just bought" thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Nah man. Rarely do you even hear of that issue with the higher end sound cards any longer. The shielding on these things now can stop bullets. Plus I play games. I REALLY want my positional audio.

Sound Blaster has the best consumer cards out now believe it or not. They have come a long way.
I still can't make myself spend that much on a sound card though, I ended up getting one of these instead.

SIIG IC-510111-S2 DP SoundWave 5.1 Channel PCIe Interface Sound Card - Newegg.com

I wish I could make myself spend money on that stuff though, that is a kickass looking setup!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I definitely did not picture your set up like that. I imagined a hermetically sealed room with layers of soundproofing and a vault style door.
Technicians preparing Brahma's listening experience:

rrr_img_50248.jpg

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I would like to demo a setup like that to see if I can tell a difference. But then again no fucking way I can spend that kind of cash on headphones so maybe it's better I don't

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Worst would be if you tried it out and noticed it was way way better. You'd end up living in a broken down van with $20k worth of high end audio equipement.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I got abayou classicpropane burner for my home brewing and the thing is a beast. Brought 5 gal to a rolling boil in about 15 minutes. Moved into a place with an electric stove that didn't have enough heat output, had to find an alternative.

rrr_img_50707.jpg

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have that same one - we use it almost every weekend for crawfish boils during the summer, works great.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Sweet headphone setup! The digital stuff has really come a loooong way, but the sound of a good tube amp is tits. The rabbit hole of high end audio (headphone or speakers) is just nuts though. Its pretty easy to spend 20k on a single speaker.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Probably a dumb question, as I know nothing about high-end headphones and tube amps and crap...but does the tube amp really do much when the source of the sound is digital(PC) to begin with? I would assume the sound quality is only as good as the weakest link in the chain...

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
If the source is bad, it will sound bad no matter what you have on the other end for headphones. Matter of fact, it will sound worse than bad, because with a great pair of headphones/amp you will hear ALL the badness of said source. And yes, bad link in chain, bad sound.

The good news is that it is fairly cheap to get great digital sound now. Someone linked the Schiit Modi and Magni (DAC and amp) That set up gets you fantastic digital sound (relatively speaking compared to onboard). That coupled with lets say some Sennheiser 558/598's for less than 400 bucks total. I mean it sounds like a lot for sound...well it is, but once you hear it, you will be blown away. And you never have to upgrade that sound from system to system again, unlike a video card. Unless you want to of course. Great for music. Ok for gaming I should add.

The ZXr from Creative has a built in headphone amp, that can power almost any headphones. Great DAC, AND it's made for gaming.

I would snag a ZXr and some 598's (Or even better headphones). Grab everything off Amazon. With the full intention of returning it all. Play games/Listen to music for ONE day. Whatever you buy, I almost gaurantee you will keep it. Just make sure you get some good headphones of course. What do you have to lose? And if you are into it for the music, get FLAC or higher bit recordings for music.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Curious, do you have tinnitus from all the music listening with headphones, Brahma?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Curious, do you have tinnitus from all the music listening with headphones, Brahma?
Had no idea what tinnitus was. But I do not. I am pretty good with not having the volume too high. Mostly because I need to hear what my bad ass kids are doing.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Why do you prefer headphones over speakers so much?
Few reasons. Mostly because I game, and like Column says positional audio is too much of an advantage in games nowadays.

The better half would bitch and moan about the speakers if I didn't use headphones.

Plus bang for the buck. You get a MUCH better value with headphones vs speakers. My whole setup was a little under 2.5k? For an equal floor setup of sound quality, I can spend that much on just one speaker.

Snagged a new mic for BF4.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I find it absolutely hilarious that you would use such a mic to communicate in online gaming. More power to you