The "Shit i just Broke" thread.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I figured this would be a good thread. I buy so much shit that ends up quickly breaking. It's really enraging. Anyway, here's my most recent broken item.

So I wanted a backup camera for my car. I recently installed a new head unit, and wanted a camera as well just because.

The camera works great... Kinda. The picture is nice and clear, but last week (2 months after purchasing it) the white LED lights on the left side of the camera face have started rapid blinking. It's really fucking annoying, but I can't return the camera. The mounting bracket was garbage and doesn't lock the camera in place. I had to epoxy it to make sure it doesn't wriggle up and down. Piece of shit.
Back Up Camera from Amazon

EDIT: So I wanted to do a few pictures of exactly what's going on. No real reason, I just wanted to.

Here's the flickering light.

This is a picture of what it looks like from inside of the car. Notice the bumper at the bottom of the screen. That's the highest I can face the camera to see how close I can back up. And I'm within half an inch if I try.
uleOA14.jpg

Here's what's actually behind the car.
WVqZgQl.jpg

Picture showing the epoxy I used to hold it in place because the mount sucked.
cwl00gA.jpg

And here's a close up of just the face of the camera. Looking at this picture, it appears that 2 of the plastic covers over the LED's are missing on the left side. That's the blinking side.
e0nKMnM.jpg

EDIT 2: Last picture. This shows you exactly what the back of the car looks like. License plate faces up a little bit, so I would need a camera that is adjustable. I could possibly mount it on the bottom, but that would only be around 5 inches lower than the camera I currently have if I still want to see a portion of the bumper. I'm not sure that'll allow me to gain anything.

2014-Volkswagen-SportWagen-rear-passengers-side.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
So I figured this would be a good thread. I buy so much shit that ends up quickly breaking. It's really enraging. Anyway, here's my most recent broken item.

So I wanted a backup camera for my car. I recently installed a new head unit, and wanted a camera as well just because.

The camera works great... Kinda. The picture is nice and clear, but last week (2 months after purchasing it) the white LED lights on the right side of the camera face have started rapid blinking. It's really fucking annoying, but I can't return the camera. The mounting bracket was garbage and doesn't lock the camera in place. I had to epoxy it to make sure it doesn't wriggle up and down. Piece of shit.
Back Up Camera from Amazon
i bought the one that attaches to the license plate
Backup Camera and Monitor Kit for Car, RAAYOO Universal Wired 7 Infrared LED Lights Night Vision Car Parking Assistance License Plate Rear View Backup Camera

doesn't move, only annoying part is i have to unscrew it once a year to put on new stickers (since they're on top).

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Do you actually need the LCD screen that comes with it, or could you use your headunit if it's already a screen? IE - Pioneer AVH models.

I have my current one facing down so I can see the very edge of the bumper. As a result, I can't see behind me with it. I get maybe 3-4 feet of view, and if someone's walking, it would only be the feet. It's enough to back up, but nothing special. Maybe I should swap to something like yours.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is a good idea for a thread. I break shit all the time. Most recently, as I posted in the smartphones thread, the headphone jack has started acting up on my Galaxy S8. As a result I was listening to podcasts in the shop by just putting the phone in my shirt pocket with the speaker pointing up. This worked fine but I was welding and sparks went into my shirt pocket and melted several tiny holes in the screen of my phone. As the day continued, cracks spiderwebbed from each of those holes and now my screen is broken. I'm trying to work up the courage to replace the screen and headphone jack myself so if I actually try that, I may have another post for this thread.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Do you actually need the LCD screen that comes with it, or could you use your headunit if it's already a screen? IE - Pioneer AVH models.

I have my current one facing down so I can see the very edge of the bumper. As a result, I can't see behind me with it. I get maybe 3-4 feet of view, and if someone's walking, it would only be the feet. It's enough to back up, but nothing special. Maybe I should swap to something like yours.
i didn't buy that exact model, i got no cars w/ a hud, so i got the one that gives you backup mirror you put on top of your regular backup mirror.

works fine especially since it's an even bigger backup mirror, but i'm sure they're all the same, cable wise.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Same, they just tweeted they are trying to fix it. Amazon streaming and some of twitch impacted too.

I clicked on the Fire 8 HD and got into amazon. The "deals" looked like the same crap. Under musicial instruments and accessories free gig bag if you buy a $59 guitar lol.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I should have taken a picture when it was still on the tractor but..

tire.jpg

I'm not sure if it was flat or a while or what but I was baling hay this morning and suddenly noticed the front tire looked like this. Sucks because the tire shop can't get it in until morning so by the time I get it back on the tractor it will probably be too dry to bale and then it's supposed to rain tomorrow night.