The Stand

Cybsled

I haven't watched this yet because I dont have CBS All Access, but the way you're describing the episode does seem like an odd narrative structure. All I can think of as to why they did that is they want the audience to think Harold is going to end up being a main protagonist? Either that, or they want to link future behavior with past experiences. IE, "Harold is becoming corrupted, here is why this event in the past led to this future choice".

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They rush through 80% of Harold's arc which is so strange to do first. Also he has already has his "maybe I could just stay here, people seem to really like me" crisis but instead of it being Nadine that fucks all that up for Harold he's all in on Team Evil after one vision from Flagg. I guess a woman damning a man would be problematic in 2020?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I guess they might revisit harold's storyline. because they also added a bunch of extra fluff about him being bullied and his family, and skipped the whole travelling through wasteland US and meeting Stu and Glenn and others bit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the chick they picked for Nadine Cross in the original series was a really good one. i think the producer might have had some inside knowledge on the actress, because she is the definition of dont stick your dick in crazy.
laura-san-giacomo-images.jpg

and she's from Jersey. what a fucking surprise.

anyway, this show sounds like its butchering King's book, but im sure he's fine with it because this is from his shitlord era and he's ashamed of all these books now.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
I had the opportunity to see all of the episodes in September before the special effects and some of the filler shots were done. My main takeaway was it will be nice to re-watch after all of the episodes are out and die hard fans stitch it together in linear order.

Not really wanting to "spoil" anything but if anyone has questions about plots/subplots included I will respond to the best of my memory.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The best reason I can think to use some non-linear storytelling (or edit it that way once its done) is the realization that the second half is nowhere near as interesting as the first half. See also the original miniseries, It Chapter 2 and many of King's novels themselves.

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The best reason I can think to use some non-linear storytelling (or edit it that way once its done) is the realization that the second half is nowhere near as interesting as the first half. See also the original miniseries, It Chapter 2 and many of King's novels themselves.
the Tommyknockers had one hell of an ending. but they butchered it so fucking bad in the miniseries that i dont even know if that counts.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
yeah king has a habit of starting off strong and then kind of letting things fall apart mid-way, the dark tower series is another example. the shining was pretty solid throughout though, and a few others.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah king has a habit of starting off strong and then kind of letting things fall apart mid-way, the dark tower series is another example. the shining was pretty solid throughout though, and a few others.
at least he finished it, he almost fucking died during that time too. he sort of almost pulled it off til the last few chapters. the movie ensured nobody ever sees it hit the big screen again. if they properly cast the characters and Roland is white and they accurately portray Detta/Odetta/Susannah, then its a rayciss and the movie wont ever ever get made. if they go back with their default black actor Idris Elba, then no DT fans will ever watch it. so that shit is dead. thanks assholes for ruining the most anticipated film adaption of my life.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I hope this trend of non-linear storytelling for no fucking reason dies as soon as possible.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Good point. In the original mini series, the show got pretty boring during the middle part.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I hope this trend of non-linear storytelling for no fucking reason dies as soon as possible.

If they do something like a char or two an episode with the story all told the same way it's going to be rough. I threw in the original made for TV movie and the opening stuff is still pretty decent. Having the first scene of the show being the cleaning out of a church six months after the collapse is so fucking bizarre.

It's a small thing and it may not continue through the other episodes but we're getting a very kind portrayal of the military and CDC types. King wrote the thing in the late 1970s while he was still ripping fat white rails and you can see how the hippie's fear of the man all over the place. Ironfisted martial law enforced by automaton soldiers covering up a nefarious bioweapons program that would decide to spread the escaped agent to the rest of the world when it was clear there was no solution. It's fucking bleak.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If they do something like a char or two an episode with the story all told the same way it's going to be rough. I threw in the original made for TV movie and the opening stuff is still pretty decent. Having the first scene of the show being the cleaning out of a church six months after the collapse is so fucking bizarre.

It's a small thing and it may not continue through the other episodes but we're getting a very kind portrayal of the military and CDC types. King wrote the thing in the late 1970s while he was still ripping fat white rails and you can see how the hippie's fear of the man all over the place. Ironfisted martial law enforced by automaton soldiers covering up a nefarious bioweapons program that would decide to spread the escaped agent to the rest of the world when it was clear there was no solution. It's fucking bleak.
I wonder if the televised whitey killing by black soldiers will make an appearance. Lol, king was funny back in 70s and 80s. One of his stories, which he stopped telling the 90s was his first time he saw Carrie in the theater, he described all the black people in the Boston theater like he was talking about jungle savages and that they were digging on this film about a loser white girl. I miss the old drugged out, no fucks to give, Stephen King.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if they edited the early episodes to minimize the visions of captain trips due to the current pandemic, resulting in a pretty rough cut pilot.

Grez

Trakanon Raider
the chick they picked for Nadine Cross in the original series was a really good one. i think the producer might have had some inside knowledge on the actress, because she is the definition of dont stick your dick in crazy.
laura-san-giacomo-images.jpg

and she's from Jersey. what a fucking surprise.

anyway, this show sounds like its butchering King's book, but im sure he's fine with it because this is from his shitlord era and he's ashamed of all these books now.
I think I'd be willing to risk it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
episode 2: Nadine, Larry (black), Ralph (now Ray, a woman), Nick (hispanic) Lloyd and Leo (asian) introduced, main focus on Larry and Lloyd, still a lot of time-skipping back and forth.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Heather Graham getting desperate for a final fuck to sleeping with a black man then ending it all in the rain ODing on pills while drinking a 1/5th of vodka is so 2020.
Remember, CBS all access code Holiday gets you a free month ad free. Think it ends today.

IF you are already in a free month it won't allow you to add a new one until you cancel.
Cancel subscription it will show you can still view until X date.
Refresh the page, add in promo Holiday
Resume subscription.
You will now have initial free time+ month all for no bucks charged.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They really did this story no favors with the non-linear storytelling, tube neck makeup and pop music. There's some good stuff in here but when a character's introduction is when they're already at or close to Boulder there's just no tension. We're two episodes in there's still no idea what things are even building towards.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I wonder if they edited the early episodes to minimize the visions of captain trips due to the current pandemic, resulting in a pretty rough cut pilot.
That is actually the best part of the book from a writing point of view. Of course they omitted it. Hollywood.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Heather Graham getting desperate for a final fuck to sleeping with a black man then ending it all in the rain ODing on pills while drinking a 1/5th of vodka is so 2020.
Remember, CBS all access code Holiday gets you a free month ad free. Think it ends today.

IF you are already in a free month it won't allow you to add a new one until you cancel.
Cancel subscription it will show you can still view until X date.
Refresh the page, add in promo Holiday
Resume subscription.
You will now have initial free time+ month all for no bucks charged.
It tells me "HOLIDAY" is not valid.

• 1Like