The struggle is real

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the ones that are now are wanting 2-3 years experience. ... There's only one guy in my department that has been here longer than I have and he's a disaster

Like Moon said, don't let that scare you off. It's just a filter to keep out the complete noobs. Put yourself in the hiring manager's shoes. Would you rather hire someone like you who is able to learn and adapt, or the guy with multiple years of experience that's also a complete disaster?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
find your managers' manager, do NOT find your managers peer as in any of the same level as him, find a higher up. Do NOT come in complaining, the worst thing you can do is complain, you're too worthless and beneath anyones notice two levels down for them to have sympathy for you if you complain, in fact if you DO complain you make it worse b/c now you've become a problem for them.

Instead come with big fucking anime eyes and a huge smile and just say you would really love a roadmap to advancement. You don't have to say you love the job or the company, lets be real here, any cog in wheel does NOT give a shit about the company, you'll just be lying, and they'll know it.

However, what is truthful, is that you want advancement, you want a future, and someone that shows initiative to better themselves, ppl will want to help.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just keep your eyes open on the job market. Anyone who can handle maintenance in a factory environment will eventually find a nice gig that will actually offer real benefits like real training, certs, etc on top of decent pay. I'm not sure how wages stack up comparing Jersey to Florida, but 12 is really on the low end for maintenance if you're actually working on production machines. They're what keeps the company making money, so if you can keep them running, you can eventually find a place that will pay you well to do it. We pay that much for helpers who are basically there to do busy work PM's like greasing bearings and grounds work.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just keep at your current job, keep doing the best job you can, don’t complain. Apply and interview at other places but go into them expecting you may not do well. However, pay attention during the interview, learn what questions are going to be asked, what recruiters are looking for, then take that knowledge and try to get experience towards what companies are looking for. Continue getting interviews for better positions, use your work and interview knowledge and eventually you’ll probably find something better. Continue to never miss days and continue to be a reliable person. Reliability can often overcome experience. Always mention showing up every day and being on time. It sounds simple but you’d be surprised how hard it is to find that in people, especially fucking millennials.

Also, try not to get frustrated. When you’re ready to advance you want it to happen now...keep in mind it may just take 3-4 years of building experience and having the low paying shitty job...that’s just how it works.

Good luck!

Rais

Trakanon Raider
You can work at Whole Foods in Florida and make 16 dollars an hour with health care. There is more out there than some maintenance position unless that's all you want to do. You will get a small raise. Not many companies will throw money at low wage employees for a reason. First, you are easily replaceable. Second, you aren't doing the type of work that demands a much higher salary. Can they pay more? Sure, but see point one. There is always the next person who needs that 13 dollar an hour job over one who thinks they deserve 17.

Expand your goals and look outside the box. Hell, go join the Navy or Air Force. Get their tech training and get licensed for tons of shit and come out and make bank.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just keep your eyes open on the job market. Anyone who can handle maintenance in a factory environment will eventually find a nice gig that will actually offer real benefits like real training, certs, etc on top of decent pay. I'm not sure how wages stack up comparing Jersey to Florida, but 12 is really on the low end for maintenance if you're actually working on production machines. They're what keeps the company making money, so if you can keep them running, you can eventually find a place that will pay you well to do it. We pay that much for helpers who are basically there to do busy work PM's like greasing bearings and grounds work.

I think this is what I am going to focus on for my upcoming review, an actual path to advancement. I realize now that even if I was to get a huge raise that in the event that for whatever reason, I no longer work here, I can't take my raise with me. It is a nice perk but it's not a necessity for my own long term success.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I've been changing jobs pretty often (at least once every 2 years for the past 8 years) and have come to the conclusion that being good at applications / job interviews opens up at least as many avenues as relevant experience.

Don't let requirements scare you. Apply for jobs above your level, state you are ambitious and use your application to support that statement during the interview.

The cost of applying to jobs is very small, and it is always a good learning experience, no matter the outcome. You will at some stage reach the point where you don't call back a recruiter because their offer was ass, it feels good.

Also I support the suggestion of trying to gain some specific experience which ensures your future desireability in niche positions. Being able to do 10 different things which 90% of people can do isn't going to get you in a great position, being able to do 1-2 things which 90% of people can't do is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would echo that one of the best things you can portray during a job interview is confidence and enthusiasm. A solid resume might get you an interview, but it isn't going to get you the job 90% of the time unless you are a unicorn in a rare industry. People want to give the job to people that want the job. The best way to convey that energy and a genuine happiness.

Bro... If you have the slightest bit work ethic, don't have a drug/alcohol problem and are willing to work with your hands, I don't know why you wouldn't pursue being a plumber or an electrician? In my area, they all clear $80k+ a year and are never without work. Or, really bite the bullet and work in the oil field industry and clear $100k+. A few years of that will really open some doors to you, if you are smart with your money and don't blow it every 2 weeks when you get paid. Even truck drivers (FedEx) are getting $6k signing bonuses and starting out at $25/hr.

It is actually a great time to be a tradesman. Most of my friends in that line of work are doing better than my friends with 4 year college degrees.

EDIT: One of my best friend's brother did some time on drug charges. He is a convicted felon and shit. He got a job in a work release program as an HV/AC Tech and was making close to $30/hr after 1 year of staying clean, showing up, and proving his value.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

HV/AC residential is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ its just getting into the industry and working for good people for a few years till you can break out on your own.

My AC guy works for the place I do and does residential AC on the side - I bet he makes more money from M-F 6pm-9pm and weekends than he does in his 9-5

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Was thinking about the last year of my life and where I am now and what I should do for the future and remembered this thread.

My 1 year anniversary at my current job was on the 21st of August. Managed to get a job as an "Industrial Maintenance Technician" basically doing preventative maintenance and repairing/diagnosing problems on roll forming machines.

I've done extremely well with this job. Haven't missed a single day and haven't been late once (I usually get to work an hour early) which I'll be honest was entirely due to the harsh comments on this thread that forced me into really looking into myself and trying to see what my actions and general behavior lead to many things going south in my life.

With all that said my current dilemma is, I started work here at $12/hr which is pretty good starting pay for Florida wages but this company doesn't do 90 day raises, they do yearly evaluations. I got my paper work for my self evaluation and was told that in the next week (this was a week prior to my 1 year date) that we would all sit down and discuss my progress and I would find out what my raise would be.

It never happened and were already a week into September, of course I am really anxious for this raise because I am still scraping by, everything is getting paid and I have a stable residence which in itself is a blessing that I do not take for granted.

With all that said, this job has not been easy. I basically came into the job expecting to work under an experienced Tech that would train me and show me the ropes, the very first week of me starting, the Tech gave his 2 week notice on that Thursday and quit to never come back on that Friday.

For the next 3 months I was the only Tech on my shift, with nobody to help or guide me in any shape or form, no documentation at all to reference how to diagnose or fix problems, with around 90 production employees depending on me to keep 26 different roll forming machines running that literally break sprockets, chains, pistons, air lines, shafts, gear boxes and so much more, on top of material jams, change overs to different dimensions or bends depending on product availability and demand, on top of greasing berrings, shafts, documenting air compressor values, checking over-head cranes for any signs of problems and doing the actual maintenance on the building itself, changing light bulbs, ballasts, material racks, hell even replacing toilet wax rings and I'm forgetting a lot but you get the point.

It is a lot, especially for someone who has had no training or prior experience in this type of work.

Of course it has gotten considerably easier since the first 3 months. After the year mark, I know how to do my job extremely well.

Which brings me back to the start of this post... I have been told by my department supervisor that I should only expect at most a 2% raise, a 24 cent raise.

Is this really acceptable? Am I just being a greedy, entitled brat that thinks he deserves more than he should?

After everything I've been through I don't want to screw up something that I have worked so hard at but at the same time I feel like I am being taken for granted.

To give some perspective, my company makes $4-4.5 million a month, gross. We have around 110 employees spread out through 3 shifts.

I looked around on indeed, craigslist etc at similar positions in my area and they all start at $16/hr at the LOW END.

Is it time for me to look for a different company? Should I just keep my head down and work here another year for experience? Give my supervisor an ultimatum of give me more or I'm going to quit?

I'm so caught up in all the bullshit that I can't think straight, what should I do bros?

Zog Zog , I wish I'd been active when you first made this thread. I've been an electrician for a good while now, and while I've lost everything I've owned...twice, now...I'm still at it. let me give you my 2 cents.

You really need to ask yourself if you still want to go union, IBEW or otherwise. A lot of factory/industrial maintenance isn't IBEW. Def try for IBEW if you want to do a lot of new work, or segue to doing service calls when you're much more experienced.

Unions aren't necessarily the be all, end all when it comes to the skilled trades. I'm pro-union, but I'm not union. There's lots of good places that are non-union...the problem is all the terrible non-union places. If the right union company offered me a job, I'd go, but my career has moved a little outside the normal union path.

If you do want to go union, make absolutely certain that your current job counts toward experience. "Maintenance Tech" won't always cut it. Something like "Maintenance Electrician" will. It can mean the difference in where you start in the apprenticeship line (assuming they don't force you to start from scratch anyways). With enough DOCUMENTED work history you might even be able to turn out as a journeyman. KEEP COPIES OF ALL PAY. KEEP PROOF OF ALL EMPLOYMENT. Do not rely on the IRS. The IRS only keeps your records for 10 years, IIRC, and they lost mine well before that 10. And I lost most of my records when a basement flooded. I tried going union a couple of times with 10+ years that I couldn't prove. Ask me how that turned out...

If you want to go Union, do NOT just try when you're looking for work, and then quit trying when you get hired on non-union somewhere. Also, the Union isn't a hiring/staffing agency. Just showing up at the hall, signing books, etc, isn't enough. You might need to find a list of union companies and apply to ALL OF THEM. Repeatedly, and nonstop. Because that's the easiest, most direct route in for most people.

OJT isn't enough anymore, unless you like getting stuck in some shitty factory somewhere for the rest of your life. Either find someplace with an actual formal apprenticeship program, go union and do their program, or find a local CC that has an industrial program and take 1-2 classes a semester. It's going to FUCKING SUCK BALLS doing that while working full-time, but that can make the difference between being a shitty nameless machine-greaser, or moving up into an actual skilled maintenance job.

There's a lot of variability in industrial maintenance. One plant is going to be a literal hell. Another plant is going to be ok. Others will be laid back and their guys like busting their asses, because their management is good to them and they enjoy their work. GO FIND OPTION #3.

After that you can just...NO, SERIOUSLY, GO FIND OPTION #3. Only stay at a shitty place long enough to find a less-shitty place.

One of the best things that people miss in regards to going to school for trades, or going union...is the connections. NETWORKING. On the union side, folks know who they want to call off the books and who they want to avoid. They aren't supposed to pick and choose, but it happens anyways. If you get in, bust your ass, do good work and get to know folks, you'll spend less time at home on the couch while signing the books. On the school side, get to know the faculty and other students. Keep your ear to the ground and you'll hear about places hiring. There's always companies in contact with the folks running our programs, either looking for prospective employees, or for classes for their current employees to take. (and if you've taken those classes, that makes you more attractive...)

Never underestimate what your reputation is worth. I know of numerous employers who specifically ask for the hard workers. The people that bust their balls. And whenever I;ve been asked, I'm more than happy to give them a name if I can think of someone who fits the bill. Be that person.

$12 is shit. Stop lying to yourself. That's the absolute lowest, bottom-tier wage for industrial maintenance mechanic work. Last place I worked like that started everyone at $27. And the COL here is a bit lower than Florida. Start looking for $15+, at least.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT let yourself go jobless. Keep your resume solid. Do not allow yourself to have any gaps. Even if you can explain those gaps, just the fact that you have to explain employment gaps in the first place will HURT you. Find a new job and move elsewhere if your employer isn't going to give you raises, has bad management, etc etc etc.

2-3 weeks w/o a raise after being promised a raise isn't really that long. I've known people who have gone 1-2 years. It's common for management to just get buried in bullshit and sometimes it takes a couple of months to catch up with you. But if you find yourself in November w/o a raise, or if they railroad you on a raise...start looking for work elsewhere.

Go online and look at resumes. Always keep an up to date resume handy.

You learned a hard lesson about staffing and working under the table. I did too. Don't listen to the blowhard faggots that want to talk down to you because they have 2nd hand or 3rd hand experience with "trades", LOL. I know full well how fucking hard it is to choose between a minimum wage job flipping burgers, and working staffing or for cash in a skilled trade making more. It's easy to tell yourself "maybe they'll hire me full time, eventually" or "this is just to cover me until I find something permanent". But don't fucking kid yourself: you are then only one step above an illegal hanging drywall, and those employers will try to fuck you over in exactly the same ways. It's a fucking dead end. They aren't going to tell you when they hire you that they only need you for 2 weeks, and when that 2 weeks is up, then it's "Oh, Bob, I'm terribly sorry, but we have to let you go, because [reasons]". 99% of the time, that's bullshit. Avoid this shit at all costs.

Moonarchia is right about ignoring 'previous work experience'. A lot of people actually weed themselves out of the process by not even bothering to apply because they don't have the experience. We have to tell students at my school this all the time. Especially people who just got a certificate or degree, and then come back to complain that all the jobs they're looking at want prior experience. Ignore it. IGNORE IT. Don't apply with the mindset of "golly gee, I hope they like my resume, and aren't mad because I don't have 3+ years experience", be like "Fuck this place, I'm going to apply whether they like it or not"

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
So much info in your post, thank you for taking the time, I'm really lost in how deep this rabbit hole goes.

At the same time it's exciting, I hear about all kinds of different machines from people, from boilers, grit blasters, conveyors to the many different roll formers, there's so much cool shit in the industrial world.

The company has brought in a few guys for certain projects and they make a stupid amount of money, if I could mimic anything it would be these guys.