The Surge (Souls like) from makers of Lords of Fallen.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
been playing the PC version and gotta say for one it's very well optimized compared to LOTF for one.

Overall it's just a massive improvement and maybe the best non souls, soulsalike game so far...

The dismemberment and attacking an enemy to try t hit ir's weak sports for possible dismemberments is is brilliant fun.

I love the sense of weigh, your character as the others are dudes are hefting about and getting hit by gigantic pieces of metal. They simply don't have massive range even on range big weps.. It seems like the game is sorta realistic into the sense you need to account with momentum of your actions/your enemies actions, and where they will be taken/what body parts will be vulnerable as a result more so then DS ect...

Meaning even if you nail a guy in the head for 70 dmg and follow it up with another head strike, your char is gonna not wind up his blow nearly as far so the dmg will be like 30. Or you may even miss the targeted area as the enemies simply moved as a result of his strike or your own hitting him you hit on his highly armoured shoulder instead of vulnerable head. ect..

Problem is the Mobs get a bit dull.. especially the bosses your essentially fighting industrial robots. DOes this seriously sound like good boss design to me?. Nope! Does that interesting or fun lore or combat? The whole "energy that power dismemberments" drain ways to fast as is frankly a dull mechanic.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I played this not too long ago and it was pretty good. I had played Nioh immediately before it, and although it seemed awkward at first and the whole switch to cybernetics aspect was completely different, I did find that it was a leaner experience. It was closer to Dark Souls in the sense that it wasn't so congested with buttloads of weaponry choices like Nioh was, where everything I killed was a Diablo-esque randomized loot explosion and gameplay would get bogged down because I was comparing gear. Once you get a hang of how the game's upgrading and combat works, things start to flow.

If anything, I'd say it has the overall Souls type feel, but it has a stronger Metroidvania sensation than Dark Souls or Nioh, and that's just fine. It has its flaws: some fights feel cheap, some of the enemies are repetitive, and the boss fights aren't that spectacular...but overall its a good experience. The customization is simple yet has plenty of variety. If you can pick it up on sale, I'd go for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's good they are making a sequel. If they can match the improvement from loTF to Surge once again we will be looing at an A+ game.

Right now i'm on the stupid boss dude who runs away and summons the games first boss, Whom you have to repeatedly kill asap while he heals himself. It's a dumbass boss fight and a great example of how the game could have been legit great had they put another 6 months into it and made the bosses actually not totally dull and forgettable. Apparently their is only one after this one i'm told and I've only killed like 3-4? i think?

Like Kaige Kaige said the combat flows very nicely though. It feels quite enjoyable to run up and try to smash the body part of your choosing with your gigantic piece of metal.

Fedor

<Banned>
Right now i'm on the stupid boss dude who runs away and summons the games first boss, Whom you have to repeatedly kill asap while he heals himself. It's a dumbass boss fight and a great example of how the game could have been legit great had they put another 6 months into it and made the bosses actually not totally dull and forgettable.

stand in front of these two things and dodge his ranged missile attack to blow them up

he won't respawn

20170514190408_1.jpg

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I did it with the security robots involved, but I had it down to a science with fucking them up using combos. You can trick out the legs after you de-armor them to make him raise one, you just do a sweep attack or outright target the standing one and it knocks the bot down. Then you beat its head in.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
stand in front of these two things and dodge his ranged missile attack to blow them up

he won't respawn

20170514190408_1.jpg

And this is how you trigger the "hard mode" for that boss too to get the best loot (full armor and weapon).

It doesn't make any sense, hard mode should have been the constantly spawning robots, not making the fight joke easy. None of the other hard modes function this way.

• 1Like

Darph

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My homeboy Adam Hetenyi joined the team a couple years ago. They're killin' it!

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I'll forget about the sequel and get a pleasant surprise when it's released under the radar ina year or two.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Actually really enjoyed Lords of the Fallen and thought it was on par with Dark Souls, outside of the boss fights which I get is a big deal.

I really enjoyed The Surge as well, but the huge maze like levels was such a detriment when every hallway looked the same and I spent most of my time trying to figure out where to go. Hopefully, more intuitive level design is a priority

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The first game is in the Origin Access vault on PC btw. Installed it and started tinkering, but we'll see if I ever touch it again. Thx gaming add.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Damn, nice. Hopefully the rest of it turns out good.

• 1Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Played this for about 20 hours now after getting it for free from PS+. It’s very enjoyable but missing something subtle that I can’t quite put my finger on. Level design is very reminiscent of From’s style of interconnectedness. The combat is a little punishing, but it’s MUCH improved from Lords of the Fallen.

I’d be hard pressed to recommend this at $40 but $20 seems about right. I’m gonna pick up the DLC and look forward to Surge 2 supposedly coming out this year.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Played this for about 20 hours now after getting it for free from PS+. It’s very enjoyable but missing something subtle that I can’t quite put my finger on. Level design is very reminiscent of From’s style of interconnectedness. The combat is a little punishing, but it’s MUCH improved from Lords of the Fallen.

I’d be hard pressed to recommend this at $40 but $20 seems about right. I’m gonna pick up the DLC and look forward to Surge 2 supposedly coming out this year.
I think one issue is it gets a bit samey after a while.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I think one issue is it gets a bit samey after a while.
I want to blame it on the armor and the +gooder upgrade system being so bland and insignificant, but Fashion Souls being a thing makes me reconsider the validity of those feelings.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Its a little bit more on the simple side, kind of like a diet Souls game.