The Tomorrow War (2021)

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
A decent popcorn flick, but it gets worse the more you think about it. The entire time travel premise in this move is a mess. Then there are the niggling bits with the ticklist cast of badass black chicks, white chicks and (I assume) transgender owlkin disabled folk. The script also appears to have been written by a 12 year old who does trash tier fan novels in his bedroom, probably in red ink because that's cool. Then there is nonsensical bullshit like a teenager being the expert on volcanoes they approach rather than them having access to anyone, like maybe a proper scientist, as they're saving the world. Plus most annoying, people get ripped in half and literally no blood. 2/10

Last edited:

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Nah, man, there's plenty to nitpick, but the time travel was fine. The best part is that, they somehow managed to figure out time travel, but the only advancement in weapon tech is assault rifles that turn rando, past their prime nobodies into fearless competent soldiers. Which is useless since the enemy is (somehow) mostly bulletproof. It's like they took the trope from zombie shows (nobody would do something that stupid!) and decided to reverse it.

It's an enjoyable action flick, just gotta turn your brain off and enjoy the ride.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Future people come back in time and take you into the future and you get the superweapon that you take back and end the threat before it happened, so the future people never needed to come back in the first place, so how did you end up with the superweapon?

But as you said, turn off brain and watch shooty shooty. Passed a couple of hours.

Edit: as noted, the guns, how many bullets did the magazines hold? They fired for about 20 minutes between reloads.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Future people come back in time and take you into the future and you get the superweapon that you take back and end the threat before it happened, so the future people never needed to come back in the first place, so how did you end up with the superweapon?

? There's multiple different ways writers handle time travel in fiction. They obviously went with the multiple timeline version. The future peeps weren't trying to save themselves, when they went back they created an alternate timeline and were trying to save that one. They knew they were already doomed. The only kinda lame bit is that no one else from the present considered this, even though Charlie and Dan have a brief exchange where they hypothesize about the limitations (can't travel to a future where you're alive.)

Cybsled

Was decent popcorn movie with a lot of head scratchers (you figure they would manufacture much more potent ammo in the past and bring that to the future, for instance. Get some thermite or explosive AP rounds or whatever instead of some standard 5.56 shit). 1st act is basically "what if Zerg/Tyranids invaded Earth?". The 2nd act definitely drags down the overall rating I would give it (major tonal shift and disregards a lot of the prior world building they set up).

So world governments all are on board with sending people to future, but once he comes back with a solution, they all get dismissed and he has to get together some random squad to do it? lol.

But ya, they basically do go multiverse version of time travel, which is fine. There is no way they could have done some predestination/linear time model and had the plot make any sense.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I guess it was watchable. As you said you gotta turn off your brain. Like what world do they live in where the diversity team pops through a portal and said "Hey drop what your doing and send us the majority of the worlds population to fight our war for us", and everyone just full steams right ahead with that plan no questions asked. Plus as mentioned above, fuckers invented time-travel in what, 20 years? But couldn't instead figure out how to just make a gun that can penetrate shells.

And yea this operation has the entire worlds governments on board, the dude comes back with the fucking winning solution, but NOPE there's a riot on TV so everyone just gives up and won't help anymore. Honestly as I'm typing this, maybe the movie wasn't really watchable. Who is making movies these days.

Don't get me started on the SJW shit. Apparently all the white men have died in 2022, and women have had to take over all positions men once had. Because we all know how much women love shooting things and playing war games. They even managed to toss in global warming also.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

"The ice melted... OMG SJW PROPAGANDA! "

Except it's not. Siberia has been experiencing permafrost melting on a scale they haven't experienced before for years now. So if that pattern continues, ice melting in Russia isn't some fantasy. That shit is literally happening right now.

Jesus, some of you are fucking as insufferable as the Twitter cancel squads that jump on minor things and build them up to be on the level of Mein Kampf.

• 2Pathetic
  • 1Salty
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 3 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

Except it is. You can sit there with a straight face and think the forced cramming of "ice melting due to global warming" into almost every sci-fi movie made in recent years isn't propaganda? Get the fuck out of here. Like the plot of the movie couldn't have had a trillion other reasons in it, but no GloBaL WaRminG!!!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Except it is. You can sit there with a straight face and think the forced cramming of "ice melting due to global warming" into almost every sci-fi movie made in recent years isn't propaganda? Get the fuck out of here. Like the plot of the movie couldn't have had a trillion other reasons in it, but no GloBaL WaRminG!!!

They never mentioned what melted the ice. They just said it melted and allowed the aliens to defrost.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

Except it's not. Siberia has been experiencing permafrost melting on a scale they haven't experienced before for years now. So if that pattern continues, ice melting in Russia isn't some fantasy. That shit is literally happening right now.

Jesus, some of you are fucking as insufferable as the Twitter cancel squads that jump on minor things and build them up to be on the level of Mein Kampf.
And you know where it isn't melting? The Southern hemisphere. That's why you here a lot about "Arctic Ice melt" yet there isn't any real change in the sea levels in places like England where they have records going back 400+ years, the coastlines are exactly the same. Things fluctuate amazingly, yet despite a nearly a century of us pumping out more people and industry and CO2, which plants love and greens our world, the hottest temps in NA were still in the 1930s.

I was kind of looking forward to this but I was one of those people mistakenly thinking for a long time it was going to be an adaptation of "Forever War". /Sadfaced when I realized it wasn't.

• 1Like

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
They never mentioned what melted the ice. They just said it melted and allowed the aliens to defrost.
Chris Pratt's character in the movie literally says "run the projections of the ice melt for the next 30 years." Not many ways to interpret that.........

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
When action sci fi movies like edge of tomorrow exist, this movie’s only option is to be dogshit, and it was

• 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Like almost any modern film, you can't think about it because the shitty writing falls apart. Just gotta sit back and enjoy it with the mind turned off.

I agree with most here, 5 or 6 out of 10.

Edit: and why the fuck can't anyone write a decent Time Travel movie besides Primer? Primer ain't perfect but the science sort of sounds like they gave it more than 30 seconds of thought.

What the fuck is up with them sending shitty weapons that cant kill the fuckers with the troops? At some point maybe someone figures out fuck bullets, send everyone with a flame thrower and Willy Pete grenades

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Was a fun movie and I enjoy Pratt as an action dude / family man.

My biggest beef is with the basic premise of sending people into the future as canon fodder vs using future knowledge to do exactly what the heroes do in the third act. Even if you weren't already motivated by trying to catch them when they land you would think the prospect of finding a spaceship to reverse engineer would have been a good idea.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Was a fun movie and I enjoy Pratt as an action dude / family man.

My biggest beef is with the basic premise of sending people into the future as canon fodder vs using future knowledge to do exactly what the heroes do in the third act. Even if you weren't already motivated by trying to catch them when they land you would think the prospect of finding a spaceship to reverse engineer would have been a good idea.
i feel like the movie should have ended in the 2nd act. i honestly paused the movie towards the end of the 2nd act to go to the bathroom and saw there was another 45 minutes left and was flabbergasted.

the whole 3rd act felt silly and tacked on.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i feel like the movie should have ended in the 2nd act. i honestly paused the movie towards the end of the 2nd act to go to the bathroom and saw there was another 45 minutes left and was flabbergasted.

the whole 3rd act felt silly and tacked on.
Sadly forced to agree. They REALLY had to turn the stupid on to justify the 3rd act.

Still, I overall enjoyed it. Unlike some here, I enjoy Pratt as the everyman.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, once he goes back to the present, it got pretty dumb and felt like a different movie

• 1Like