The Tomorrow War (2021)

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Just like every other big studio movie they sold to someone else's streaming service due to Covid, there was no chance this was going to be better than forgettable.

Look, as much as I want to reward studios making new IP, this was just utterly forgettable. I think I'll remember as much of this tomorrow as I do of Battle: Los Angeles today.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just like every other big studio movie they sold to someone else's streaming service due to Covid, there was no chance this was going to be better than forgettable.

Look, as much as I want to reward studios making new IP, this was just utterly forgettable. I think I'll remember as much of this tomorrow as I do of Battle: Los Angeles today.
The problem is that while it is a new ip, it's actually not at all. There isn't anything new that this brings to the table. As far as I'm concerned it's just another vehicle for Betty gilpin to out-act everyone she comes into contact with

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This movie was not good. The central premise makes zero fucking sense.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The screenwriter has read himself some rpg lit fiction that's for sure. There's a couple different book series that have a very similar core premise - people find out they are being to sent to or participate in some big event whether it be some interdimensional contest/war/game type thing. That shell is very much present here with a coat of 'Murica action movie over it. Seeing that kind of story being told I was pretty in to the movie at the start. The aliens looked decent and they were put over pretty strong. It's got the big multi-cultural cast but no character was their race or their gender so that's all fine.

If this was something closer to 100 minutes than the two hours fifteen I would have ended up liking it all of the way through but once our lead finishes his one week tour of duty the story gets smaller, lamer, cheaper and dumber. With the high concept sci fi stuff it's so much easier to give things a pass but all that evaporates in the last act and you're left with a macguffin that changes everything and no one seems to care?

If I saw this in the theater I'd hate it I'm sure but watching it at home it was acceptable.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit that was the most rushed ending ever.

33% of the movie before anything interesting happens.

then 50% of the movie is "Everyone is dying!!"

10% of the movie, "we found the solution but people won't believe us!!"

last 7% "Fuck it, we will do it ourselves and no one will remember us for it"

A random thing, the lack of gore seriously made me laugh. People getting torn in half? no blood. spike goes through someone? a dab of blood.

Things that make me mad about movies like this.

Military / combatants are retarded.

bad guys are invincible unless you shoot them in X spot!

BUT if you hit them with a melee weapon, rather than bullets, you can do tons of damage if you hit them anywhere.

Solutions that a world can't figure out but 3 guys jerking off for 5 minutes and one high-school kid can...

Humans can't work together!! DON'T TRY!! DO THINGS YOURSELF!!

REMEMBER, even if the end of the world is here, politicians will still fuck you!

Oddly not the dumbest thing I've watched all year but still a pretty dumb movie.

• 1Like

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why did they bother with the toxin? Just C4 the ship in the first place.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

The whole last act is a mess. The macguffin has to be injected or ingested I guess and it melts them like they picked the wrong grail for some reason?

The obvious solution for the future people is to turtle super hard while evacing as many people and as much tech/data/hardware/software in to the past as you can and then spend the next three decades prepping and climbing tech trees. If it looks like another failure than repeat the process. Mass dumping people from the past to the future can't be the way to go.

I know people liked Edge of Tomorrow (and it's good, don't get me wrong) but if anyone is looking for more of this kind of thing read the book it is based off of - All You Need is Kill. It's great, doesn't overstay its welcome and is different enough from the film to be its own thing.

• 1Solidarity

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also they had a toxin that's effective vs the males. Why not incorporate that into your main base defence?

It had some potential but just got lazy.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
The hardest part of the whole movie for me to swallow was at the end where no one in the world other than this handful of people gave a fuck if it was in Russia or not.
The world is on fire with riots, nations becoming hostile, untold thousands dead sent to the future to fight a war that lost.
We have a way of stopping it but hey you expect us to fund a strike team? Fuck that, pizzas are 2 for 5 at Kroger, can't help you bro.

• 2Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The idea that a civilization could bend time and space so radically as to go back in time, but they couldn't figure out say...rail guns, is too retarded to give a chance.

Just too retarded. There are fucking limits, man.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Meh, I'll watch this as a dumb popcorn movie with the fam.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i feel like the movie should have ended in the 2nd act. i honestly paused the movie towards the end of the 2nd act to go to the bathroom and saw there was another 45 minutes left and was flabbergasted.

the whole 3rd act felt silly and tacked on.
Same.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The idea that a civilization could bend time and space so radically as to go back in time, but they couldn't figure out say...rail guns, is too retarded to give a chance.

Just too retarded. There are fucking limits, man.
"We have conquered time and space. Here take this 12 gauge and go shoot shit".

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
when people say "don't think too much about a movie, it makes less sense the more time you think about it" this is the poster for that quote

critics have some hot takes on this movie though, this dude uses it to trash evangelicals lol. not bringing your own issues into your reviews, bro!

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
when people say "don't think too much about a movie, it makes less sense the more time you think about it" this is the poster for that quote
1625320830609.png
ftfy

• 1Solidarity

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
TV and movies are total disposable woke garbage these days. I can’t recall watching anything good in the past year— everything feels like it was slapped together using cliche’d plot lines fished from a mason jar and strung together. About to go buy a BMX bike and find a sandbox to play in at forty something.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hedeon

Molten Core Raider
I will parrot what others have said, movie is dumb, I mean super dumb but not the worst thing I have ever seen. I don't think it's possible to turn my brain off enough to enjoy this movie without becoming a potato.

This film touches on much better films like Aliens or Edge of Tomorrow but it doesn't do the legwork to explain how a technologically inferior foe wins unlike those two. Guns don't kill them quickly till they need them to, large caliber guns, mines etc work but some how the entire globe fell, time travel but don't send back samples to study till a year in to the war, have a bioweapon that wipes out males but doesn't use it despite males making up the bulk of the enemy forces,t hat fucking 3rd act...

Ugh, thinking about it just makes me shake my head. I mean if you aren't paying a ticket price and you are got time to kill there are worse movies but this will just leave you disappointed with its cliches and plot points you see coming a mile away and mega stupidity. JK Simmons is great and it reminds me of better films are my two pros.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
This 1000 percent when you get there and they are all hibernating plant tons of c4 quietly around each pod walk away blow the ship roll credits the toxin was worse than pointless.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I reiterate my stance that at least 20% of the members of this board can write better shit than Hollywood writer's rooms.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
This 1000 percent when you get there and they are all hibernating plant tons of c4 quietly around each pod walk away blow the ship roll credits the toxin was worse than pointless.
Well, let’s also ignore the fact that they had neither the quantity of C4 depicted to create the explosion we saw nor the time to deploy it throughout the ship after the spikes started waking up.