The Tomorrow War (2021)

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This just reinforced my belief that Hollywood is "almost" incapable of writing quality science fiction. And I think the 3 or 4 exceptions to this rule are proof aliens walk among us as they were probably the ones who wrote those 3 or 4 good scripts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
So I'm watching this now and not going to read any posts so flame me, whatever.

But for fucks sake they are shooting .223 which is shit for deadly fire out of 8 inch fucking barrels so its traveling like half its velocity capability. None of these chucklefuck future warriors or current time draftees made it a point to at least mention a fucking .308 16inch barrel to actually penetrate or any kind of 50 cal batteries to lay waste. They are fleshy, wtf. So many plot holes.....

...like chief and foremost:

Fuck the future, stay in the current timeline and get ready for them. We have 30 years to develop new orbital defense weapons or cold fusion freeze on site weapons or whatever.

what guns were they using? Micro tavor was my first thought, but later I realized they weren't bull pups. The Micro Tavor probably has a longer barrel.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
This movie might have upgraded in quality if the end was them failing to kill the aliens and thus being the catalyst that unleashes them and completes the time loop.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is the main actor chic opposite Pratt the "actor" that Miranda Lawson was modled after?

• 1Solidarity

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This movie might have upgraded in quality if the end was them failing to kill the aliens and thus being the catalyst that unleashes them and completes the time loop.
I was thinking that was going to be the case the whole time. No matter what you do, it still happens. Alas it did not go that way and they went with the happy ending way.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
As far as we know. There's always a chance for a sequel where we find out they didn't kill all the aliens. The Yesterday War.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This just reinforced my belief that Hollywood is "almost" incapable of writing quality science fiction. And I think the 3 or 4 exceptions to this rule are proof aliens walk among us as they were probably the ones who wrote those 3 or 4 good scripts.
I was going to say you're wrong, but I couldn't think or tons of great examples, so I looked up some list of the best sci-fi of the past 20 years and it had Reign of Fire on it so lol guess not

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

I do think there is some justification for the poor armament. (granted, another thing they should have been mining the past for..)
but, this was a war of numbers. The aliens were swarming. just too many. the Military could hold its own well enough in a direct conflict. Jets, bombs, etc. but, jets, etc use fuel. Bombs, ordinance has to be produced. the Military could defend its bases, but NOT maintain a supply chain. So, it makes sense all the good stuff, high caliber weapons, rpgs, etc, all got used up in the first few years. They've run out, and now are forced to used lower power weapons. this idea is only really touched on, with the food rations. but would make sense for the ordinance as well. which again.. would be something they should have been getting from the past. Hell that could have been a plot point. Arm the civilians to the teeth with new weapons/ammo, send them to the future. oops they died. well, we don't really care about the people, we just need the weapons. which could have lead into a theme of mining the past to save the future, and causing more harm doing that, then its helping.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I thought this was a film adaptation of “the forever war”. Bleh

This movie is piss ass garbage.

why would you send people to the future when you could just tower defense plan for 25 years.

we are humans, we can extinct anything with a bit of prep time.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The objective was never to save the future. It was to buy the future enough time to save the past/alternate timeline.

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Not that you could ever get it greenlit but there is a pretty fucking funny premise for a movie in this, looks like action blockbuster but is actually a clever parody/deconstruction of Hollywood firearms tropes.

• 1Worf

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

yup, this is the only way this movie isn't a complete joke and upgraded to only a partial joke

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Because I was an idiot and thought they were setting things up when we find out that future Pratt bailed on his family I was waiting for how that came to be to be revealed in the story. He'd clearly never leave so why did he leave. When his daughter falls slow-motion into the frothing pit of hell I was like, there we go. He comes back and we're indicating he's got PTSD and between that and J Jonah Jameson's story about coming back from Vietnam I thought we were going to take this real dark turn as Pratt cannot overcome the psychological injuries he's suffered and leaves his family. I was going to turn the movie off even. It was late and I wasn't in the mood for how bleak I thought the movie was going to become. The world has no future and it sacrificed millions of people in the present for nothing and we're going to follow PSTD Pratt around as his family falls apart.

Nope he's fine.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am no master guru of guns but even a novice like me can guess if you are shooting at something 3-4 times bigger than a person with thick hide maybe just maaaaaybeee you need a bigger weapon shooting higher powered rounds.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
So yourself a favor and download the audiobook for

The Forever War by Joe Haldemen

Real time travel and space war.
It was written in the 70's Its about a dude William Mandella who joins the Space Marines in 1991 flies off at lightspeed with his crew and returns after the battle 2 years later his time.
However due to Lightspeed its now 2024 and he does not love the earth he finds., so him and his buddies reenlist and do it again, however this time centuries pass at home.

The time dilation aspect and the future evolution of humanity and "MAN" is super interesting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users